Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 am

kogami wrote: Somebody had proposed me its help to translate the 3 % which stayed in Japanese But he withdrew.

Thank you for your proposal but I prefer to pass by somebody who really masters the language to obtain the better result Because it is not annoying in the understanding of the game because that concerns only the NPC.

Shenmue 1 release in Europe has only the voices English Only shenmue 2 (PAL) in had the voices Japanese.

The US texts tell exactly the same thing as the voices Japanese except that it is slightly adapted.

Ooh ok! Thanks for the info! :) I understand. And yes I fully agree, 3% of an NPC is really nothing, I wouldn't really care if I couldn't understand 3% of Japanese being said by an NPC. It has no real effect on the gameplay or story and is very insignificant. 97% is MORE then enough and is basically perfect. Way better than the 60% free speech that was in Smiths version. This is the best version your going to get in my opinion of an Undub Shenmue and its really great so I have no complaints about this. I give you my salute for making such an awesome version. :D

Btw all the info you gave, I was suggesting you include it in your main post in all the threads you make to tell the difference between Smiths release and yours. But its just an idea. :) Either way thanks a lot! Will wait for the 3rd disc!
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby johnvivant » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:01 am

has anyone successfully burned and played disc one 80min yet?
i'm still having problems with it.

i have all the settings as kogami recommended.
im running the latest version of alcohol 120% - 2.0.2. 5830

dreamcast just wont play it.

never had problems burning games before, although i do usually use imgburn

the only thing thats different is that my version of alchohol 120% does not give me an option for 8x write speed. the lowest it goes it 10x, the next one up from that is 16x.

i have tried burning at both speeds and neither of the discs play.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby kogami » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:16 am

I have make a test yesterday evening on a CDR-80 and no problem for me.

I do not understand why it does not walk with you.
someone else to try?
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:50 am

kogami wrote: Somebody had proposed me its help to translate the 3 % which stayed in Japanese But he withdrew.

Thank you for your proposal but I prefer to pass by somebody who really masters the language to obtain the better result Because it is not annoying in the understanding of the game because that concerns only the NPC.

Shenmue 1 release in Europe has only the voices English Only shenmue 2 (PAL) in had the voices Japanese.

The US texts tell exactly the same thing as the voices Japanese except that it is slightly adapted.

Well I can understand that you want it more accurate. It's very much possible to work with online translators but yeah they do reach their limits quite fast with Japanese. It's hard to get around what's actually ment to be said if you don't have any english source to compare it too.

But what do you mean by US texts? How does US Shenmue make the subtitles more accurate? Afaik US Shenmue is nothing more then exactly the english Shenmue just changed to NTSC-J format to be played with Japanese Dreamcasts and with a different logo / title screen of course.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby kogami » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:14 am

I spoke about the translation in English.
The translation of Shenmue in English is very good but some dialogues were removed when compared to the Japanese version.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:39 am

Well it is pretty good but not always accurate. Of course you can't expect them to translate everything into English 1:1 as it would result in awkward moments but there are indeed things that have been changed without much reason.
Example: "No! Father? NOOOO!" was actually "Father? Father! FAAATHEEER!!" in the Japanese dub.

Oh well it only becomes apparent when you listen closely to what Ryo says and if you understand a few words Japanese. So don't mind it too much.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:30 pm

BlueMue wrote:

Well I can understand that you want it more accurate. It's very much possible to work with online translators but yeah they do reach their limits quite fast with Japanese. It's hard to get around what's actually ment to be said if you don't have any english source to compare it too.

But what do you mean by US texts? How does US Shenmue make the subtitles more accurate? Afaik US Shenmue is nothing more then exactly the english Shenmue just changed to NTSC-J format to be played with Japanese Dreamcasts and with a different logo / title screen of course.

US Shenmue is a bit different actually than the NTSC-U & Pal versions. It came with Japanese subtitles which both the US version and Pal version don`t have. I think Kogami translated that using Sizious translation tool which is a lot better in my opinion then using the straightforward English subtitles from the Pal version. It would come out more accurate than the English subs in the Pal version since its geared towards a Japanese audience. Of course things won`t be perfect but really this is the best your going to get in my opinion with an Undub version of Shenmue and its marvelous at that.
Last edited by GrimMeNaCe on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby brad86 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Any rough idea on when you will have disc 3 done?

No rush! Just curious about it :)
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:26 pm

GrimMeNaCe wrote: US Shenmue is a bit different actually than the NTSC-U & Pal versions. It came with Japanese subtitles which both the US version and Pal version don`t have. I think Kogami translated that using Sizious translation tool which is a lot better in my opinion then using the straightforward English subtitles from the Pal version. It would come out more accurate than the English subs in the Pal version since its geared towards a Japanese audience.

Oh man, I really should've actually played US Shenmue for a bit or at least look at the manual. That way I would've known earlier that you have to press start to switch the subtitles in game.
I always assumed that there had to be a selection in the options and since even switching the Dreamcast to Japanese didn't do anything I actually started to believe that the Japanese subtitles were nothing more then "rumors".
Now I know better...

The script is still the same though. The English subtitles are the same as the words that are spoken, thus identical with the other English releases. The Japanese subtitles stay true to their script aswell, minus the fact that the have been adopted to the all so slightly different line layout of the English dub. I can see how the subtitle files of US Shenmue do help in getting around that problem as it's much easier to cross check what goes where when you work with those to bring over the English subtitles to the Japanese audio.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:44 pm

BlueMue wrote: Oh man, I really should've actually played US Shenmue for a bit or at least look at the manual. That way I would've known earlier that you have to press start to switch the subtitles in game.
I always assumed that there had to be a selection in the options and since even switching the Dreamcast to Japanese didn't do anything I actually started to believe that the Japanese subtitles were nothing more then "rumors".
Now I know better...

The script is still the same though. The English subtitles are the same as the words that are spoken, thus identical with the other English releases. The Japanese subtitles stay true to their script aswell, minus the fact that the have been adopted to the all so slightly different line layout of the English dub. I can see how the subtitle files of US Shenmue do help in getting around that problem as it's much easier to cross check what goes where when you work with those to bring over the English subtitles to the Japanese audio.

Of course they couldn`t leave the Jap subs out! lol Half the japs wouldn`t understand the game without them and it would be a pointless release..haha Though its still kinda weird releasing an English dubbed version in Japan, guess they just wanted variety! lol

And yes I do see what your saying, I`m trying to fully understand myself on everything Kogami did. I do get a sense of it though. But I`m very happy with this release, Smith did a great job but his was missing a lot of translation and had problems but what Kogami did is awesome. Got out a proper Jap release for us English speaking audiences! haha Of course it may not be perfect and there may be still 3% of jap text left but if you want Jap Shenmue with English subs this is the shit! haha :P
Last edited by GrimMeNaCe on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kogami » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:46 pm

"US Shenmue" have the same subtitle English with than the version Shenmue Pal and Shenmue NTSC-U.

The advantage of this version is that it offers double subtitle (Japanese and English). I dumped all the script characters and cutscene to "US Shenmue".

Sample:
01BEDA

It would have been interesting to reread the Japanese text to suit the nearest Japanese dialogue into English.

For example:

01BEDA.txt
AKIR
Uhhhgghh=@
…お、親父…

New translation:
...Fa, father...
…お、親父…

I spotted a lot of example like this, I made the choice to change nothing compared to the official text.

Any rough idea on when you will have disc 3 done?

I do not know, it's been a long time since I have Work on disk 3, I can work a little each day.

I also await your return to see if everything works well on disc 1 and 2, I have not even had time to test the CD.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:50 pm

I will do the test for you today Kogami.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Doesn`t work, it just ruined my disc even after I followed instructions. You should upload this as a CDI to make things easier. I use imgburn and it doesn`t support multi-session discs, CDI format is the easiest to burn with. MDS files give too many problems.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby brad86 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:26 pm

kogami wrote:I also await your return to see if everything works well on disc 1 and 2, I have not even had time to test the CD.

I'm a Japanese Shenmue virgin so I can only give feedback on what I think looks and sound right. So far, after about 3 hours playing, it seems perfect.
I grew up with the English dub, and even though it's not anywhere on the same level as the original, I love it for what it is and it will always be my preferred choice.
Although I must say, I am really really liking the Japanese audio. So much emotion in it. Awesome stuff!!!

(Playing on NullDC lol. Please don't hate on me. VGA boxes aren't cheap. I will burn it off and try some on the DC though a bit later)
Last edited by brad86 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects