Shenmue faithful translation project?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue faithful translation project?

Postby NekoFever » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 am

Hi, guys. I haven't been active in the Shenmue community for some time, but I've got a little project on the go that I was wondering if anyone could lend a hand with.

I'm in the middle of fansubbing the Japanese dub of Shenmue: The Movie (Japanese retail release, not the one bundled with Xbox Shenmue II).

How this came about is I was ripping all my DVDs to my HTPC and noticed that this particularly DVD contains English and Japanese dubs, but only Japanese subtitles, and those subs are synced to the English voices since that's how the movie was originally released. I'd very much like to be able to watch it with Japanese voices and English subtitles, so I set about making my own.

I'm about halfway through creating subtitles in Aegisub based on the English dialogue that are synced to the Japanese voices, and this is working reasonably well. However, while I'm far from fluent in Japanese, I know enough to understand that the translators took some liberties in making lines match lip movement and plain old artistic licence. Early example: when Iwao dies, Ryo's extended "Nooooo!" in English is "Oyajiiiii!" ("Father!") in Japanese. I've fixed what I can but, like I said, I'm not a Japanese speaker.

My question, then, is whether anyone's undertaken a more faithful translation of the Japanese that I could use in creating subtitles that are free of the localisation team's little embellishments. If not, are there any Japanese speakers who'd be interested in collaborating? I can provide my existing work-in-progress subtitles and both the English and Japanese voice tracks from the movie. If this is a success, the work might even be suitable for the start of a larger project of faithfully translating the Japanese game instead of relying on the subtitles for the English dub.

Can anyone help?
NekoFever
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: Shenmue faithful translation project?

Postby IlDucci » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28 am

Have you checked this out?

phpBB [video]
IlDucci
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue faithful translation project?

Postby NekoFever » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:13 am

No, I hadn't. Should have thought to check YouTube in retrospect ](*,)

That's fairly similar to the state mine's in, with most of the dialogue lifted directly from the English and a few bits altered to more closely match obvious deviations. Certainly makes my job easier to have another resource to refer to, and I'll clean up some of the typos in those subs and get them into a standard format.

I'd still be interested in working on a more faithful version of the English translation.

NekoFever has received a thanks from: shengoro86
NekoFever
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Return to Community Projects