SlotHouse Unreal Engine 4... Help.

(Modding and other series related projects)

SlotHouse Unreal Engine 4... Help.

Postby BluePink » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:45 am

Hey everyone,

I got a bit bored over the last couple of weeks since the end of the kickstarter, So I started remaking the Shenmue SlotHouse in Cinema4D and then shoving it into Unreal Engine, and honestly, I'm a little out of my depth.
I cant seem to get the lighting correct and materials makes my brain turn to mush. So I wonder if anyone here has had any experience with Unreal Engine 4 Who could help... I'm not sure of the help I need to be honest, but I'm just not happy with he results, I would love for it to look "realistic" but I'm never going to be able to achieve that by myself.

The empty picture frames are empty because I cant seem to get a copy of the correct text that was in the original.
The Change machine / Token machine thing has something I knocked together but due to the low quality texture in the game, I couldn't figure out exactly what it says.

Also, I just cant figure out how to get it to look sufficiently grubby. It looks a little bit to new for me...

Anyway, ill post a couple of pictures of the SlotHouse so you can see what I have at the moment.

Chris.

BluePink has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
BluePink
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: SlotHouse Unreal Engine 4... Help.

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:54 am

I dont know anything about Cinema4D or UnrealEngine4 perhaps one day you can import the entire shenmue map :) but till then I think an Unreal Engine 4 fourm would be able to answer these kinds of program specific questions
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby south carmain » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:03 pm

BluePink wrote:Also, I just cant figure out how to get it to look sufficiently grubby. It looks a little bit to new for me...

Modify the textures to make them seem so. You can slap on decals for a quick job http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=52338 or you can look up photoshop/gimp tutorials explaining how to do so.

Also if you haven't done so use bumpmaps to make the textures look less flat.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BluePink » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Thank you both for your suggestions, I'm going to look into them now, See if anything comes out of it.
The bump map side of it, I have looked into before and some of the textures have bump maps, but to be honest. the texturing side isn't my favourite part. Which surprised me, because i pretty much work in Photoshop or illustrator every day for some reason or another.
BluePink
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby south carmain » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:15 am

You can create bumpmaps yourself too in photoshop.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:35 pm

I might be a couple of months late here, but still I'll say that. I've been mapping for "UT2004" a while ago.

First - did you "Build" the level after adding models and lighting? You have to run the build process in order to create correct lighting.

If still no success - here's a helpful article about lighting https://wiki.unrealengine.com/LightingT ... tatic_Mesh

I first thought of "static meshes", but the engine version that I am fimilar with is 11 years old, so a lot could have been changed. I could assume that you import the model of a slotmachine into the editor and add it into the level as a static mesh (software brush). In Unreal-Engine static meshes do not have the shadow textures. They only use vertex lighting. In order to have nice shadow from static light sources you should convert them into BSP-Brushes (hardware brush) which is very resource-expensive. OR you could tessellate the models, which is not as good as BSP use, but does not eat all the resources.

Here's an article which will explain it a lot better than I did:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:The ... tic_Meshes

I have yet to look into the new version of the UnrealEd myself, but I'm pretty sure it's exactly the case here.
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:17 am

BluePink wrote:The empty picture frames are empty because I cant seem to get a copy of the correct text that was in the original.
The Change machine / Token machine thing has something I knocked together but due to the low quality texture in the game, I couldn't figure out exactly what it says.

I may just be able to grab the picture frame textures for you, depending if they are PVR or not.

You can then redraw them or use the blurry originals!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Return to Community Projects