Can Shenmue I run from an SD Card?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Can Shenmue I run from an SD Card?

Postby the_importer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:26 am

Hey there,

While waiting for the GDEmu to be available again, I wanted to try the undubbed version of Shenmue I, but it gives me a black screen. I then tried the PAL Shenmue that I ripped myself with my original discs, same issue. Any ways to make this game run from an SD card?

Thanks
the_importer
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Can Shenmue I run from an SD Card?

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:29 am

Please see the following compatibility list for Dream Shell. :)
http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/printthread.php?tid=2145

This will provide information for Shenmue 1, 2, and many other games you may want to test.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby the_importer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:06 pm

shengoro86 wrote: Please see the following compatibility list for Dream Shell. :)

This will provide information for Shenmue 1, 2, and many other games you may want to test.

Just to be clear, this is a list for when using an SD card in the serial port right, not with GDEmu where every game is suppose to run, correct?
the_importer

Postby Sappharad » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:15 pm

the_importer wrote:
shengoro86 wrote: Please see the following compatibility list for Dream Shell. :)

Just to be clear, this is a list for when using an SD card in the serial port right, not with GDEmu where every game is suppose to run, correct?

Yes. It's the DreamShell site, and DreamShell is what you use to run games from SD via the SD card adapter that plugs into the serial port.

Per the linked compatibility list, Shenmue does not work.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby the_importer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:39 pm

Sappharad wrote:
the_importer wrote:

Yes. It's the DreamShell site, and DreamShell is what you use to run games from SD via the SD card adapter that plugs into the serial port.

Per the linked compatibility list, Shenmue does not work.

Actually, I've seen that you can use Dreamshell with GDemu.
the_importer

Postby Sappharad » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:01 pm

the_importer wrote:Actually, I've seen that you can use Dreamshell with GDemu.

Yes, there's nothing stopping you from using Dreamshell with GDemu. GDemu is just a drive replacement board. You would boot DreamShell with it like any other disc.

But you asked about running games over the SD adapter using DreamShell. Compatibility with that is low and slow, because it's redirecting all drive reads to a slow serial port on the back.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anthony817 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:21 pm

Ok, he didn't specifically say anything about Dreamshell. He stated he had a GDEmu, not the IDE mod. With GDEmu you can run 99% of games. So no reason Shenmue won't. I have been using GDEmu for a few weeks now and it blows the IDE mod and Dreamshell out of the water. The only games not really compatible are D2 and the official Bleem!cast, due to the disc swap nature of those titles. They just don't really work well with it but I have been playing a lot of Bleem! beta games and swapping the disc via the iso selector on the GDEmu does work for those.

Just to be clear, you can't actually load iso's from inside Dreamshell with the GDEmu, that isn't how it works. the console would just think there was a single disc inside. So no, Dreamshell won't work for playing games but you can load up the iso on GDEmu to use some of the other features.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby the_importer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:33 am

Anthony817 wrote: Ok, he didn't specifically say anything about Dreamshell. He stated he had a GDEmu, not the IDE mod. With GDEmu you can run 99% of games. So no reason Shenmue won't. I have been using GDEmu for a few weeks now and it blows the IDE mod and Dreamshell out of the water. The only games not really compatible are D2 and the official Bleem!cast, due to the disc swap nature of those titles. They just don't really work well with it but I have been playing a lot of Bleem! beta games and swapping the disc via the iso selector on the GDEmu does work for those.

Just to be clear, you can't actually load iso's from inside Dreamshell with the GDEmu, that isn't how it works. the console would just think there was a single disc inside. So no, Dreamshell won't work for playing games but you can load up the iso on GDEmu to use some of the other features.

How do you run GDmenu if it's not with Dreamshell then?
the_importer

Postby Anthony817 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:41 am

GDEmu is the actual board. GDMenu is the GUI you use to load games.

GDMenu doesn't even have anything to do with Dreamshell, and the 2 are not mutually exclusive. Dreamshell is for the IDE HDD mods, and the tiny serial SD adapters. Not for the ODE's. The 2 released ODE's both use their own exclusive menus.

phpBB [video]

You can get the latest update here.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/uno ... ost-902531

Edit: This should also be helpful letting you know how to install the device. HOWEVER! That is a bit outdated, and it is NO LONGER REQUIRED to rename all games as disc.gdi or disc.cdi. It was fixed in later versions.

phpBB [video]
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby the_importer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:38 am

Anthony817 wrote: GDEmu is the actual board. GDMenu is the GUI you use to load games.

GDMenu doesn't even have anything to do with Dreamshell, and the 2 are not mutually exclusive. Dreamshell is for the IDE HDD mods, and the tiny serial SD adapters. Not for the ODE's. The 2 released ODE's both use their own exclusive menus.

phpBB [video]

You can get the latest update here.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/uno ... ost-902531

Edit: This should also be helpful letting you know how to install the device. HOWEVER! That is a bit outdated, and it is NO LONGER REQUIRED to rename all games as disc.gdi or disc.cdi. It was fixed in later versions.

phpBB [video]

Oh I see, great stuff, thanks :)

the_importer has received a thanks from: Anthony817
the_importer

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:52 am

Ah the wording in the OP made me thing this individual was looking to get a Serial Port SD card running while they were waiting for their GDEMU to become available. From below, it become apparent to me that an attempt was made that resulted in a black screen. My bad.

Anthony817 wrote:Ok, he didn't specifically say anything about Dreamshell. He stated he had a GDEmu, not the IDE mod.

We weren't talking about the IDE mod. We were talking about a serial port adapter for SD cards which is most commonly used for DreamShell. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hence the assumption from the quote below.

the_importer wrote: Hey there,

While waiting for the GDEmu to be available again, I wanted to try the undubbed version of Shenmue I, but it gives me a black screen. I then tried the PAL Shenmue that I ripped myself with my original discs, same issue. Any ways to make this game run from an SD card?

Thanks

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Anthony817
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Anthony817 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:53 pm

No sorry, I think you were right reading it again. He did seem to imply something about the sd adapter, so I think you were actually right. My bad.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:44 am

Anthony817 wrote: No sorry, I think you were right reading it again. He did seem to imply something about the sd adapter, so I think you were actually right. My bad.

Haha no problem bud.

BTW on a side note, thanks for the 1G cdis for S2 Eng, I played through them entirely and they worked great!

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Anthony817
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Anthony817 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Np. I only uploaded them however. But it is really great to be able to play it on the ODE's flawlessly the way we always wanted to be able to play it.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby IrishNinja » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:54 pm

havent had a chance to mess with it yet, but GDemu seems neat - especially since, last i tried it, emulating shenmue dind't go so well for me
IrishNinja
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: TheIrishNinja
XBL: The NZA 2099
Nintendo FC: IrishNinja
Steam: The NZA
Currently playing: Guardian Heroes

Next

Return to Community Projects