What's Better ?

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby ToL » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Masayuki Fukuhara wrote:
Ryan wrote:
redline wrote:the crappy english dubbing makes the xbox shenmue less fun.

The English dub never bothered me. I prefer it to reading countless subtitles..

Agreed

Idleness.

The original Shenmue English voice actors werent great, but they got the job done and they very rarely irritated you. Shenmue 2 English dub was just horrific and I wanted to peel my ears off everytime I heard someone talk. It felt like none of the actors who voiced the characters wanted to be there, that they were just passing time. They sounded so boring, wooden and lethargic with absolutely no emotion. Awful, awful shit to have to listen to.

Give me the subs and the original Japanese voice actors anyday.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShinChuck » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Martin summed it up well.

As far as I can tell, the Xbox version would probably be considered the better version if it only had the Japanese dub. Outside of that and the ability to carry over the save from the first, I don't think the Dreamcast version really has much on it.

There's some complaints about the lighting on the Xbox, and I personally prefer playing it on Dreamcast just because it feels like that's where it belongs, but that's more personal preference.
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:46 pm

TiredofLife wrote:
Masayuki Fukuhara wrote:
Ryan wrote:
redline wrote:the crappy english dubbing makes the xbox shenmue less fun.

The English dub never bothered me. I prefer it to reading countless subtitles..

Agreed

Idleness.

The original Shenmue English voice actors werent great, but they got the job done and they very rarely irritated you. Shenmue 2 English dub was just horrific and I wanted to peel my ears off everytime I heard someone talk. It felt like none of the actors who voiced the characters wanted to be there, that they were just passing time. They sounded so boring, wooden and lethargic with absolutely no emotion. Awful, awful shit to have to listen to.

Give me the subs and the original Japanese voice actors anyday.

Definitely. I'd say Shenmue II's voice acting was quite frankly, some terrifically ear-grating crap. I just can't stand the Xbox's dub. I also can't stand that terrible glowing effect you get in that version either. It always makes my eyes smart like feck. So yeah, DC version all the way.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby FRASIER » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Dreamcast for its authenticity and Xbox for its translation, would say polish but I saw none.
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Never played it on the Xbox, but I prefer that one anyway, coz I'm sick of havin to read the subtitles. I wanna watch what's goin on damnit, not direct my attention to the bottom of the screen and try to read everything in time!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Conc3pt » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:11 pm

I prefer the Xbox version because the Dreamcast controller is too much of a pain in the ass to play with (not even joking here).
Conc3pt
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby cApNhOwDy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:34 am

I wish I could delete every post I made on these forums.
Last edited by cApNhOwDy on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cApNhOwDy
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:56 am

I agree, the fat Xbox controller's D-pad was just a joke on any game..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:04 am

The King in Yellow wrote:Never played it on the Xbox, but I prefer that one anyway, coz I'm sick of havin to read the subtitles. I wanna watch what's goin on damnit, not direct my attention to the bottom of the screen and try to read everything in time!

It's all subjective of course, but I don't that to be a big deal. It's like on Hong Kong action movies, I'll always put the original audio track on, and just flip on subtitles. Same on the rare occasions I watch anime (I generally hate anime). It'd be great in Shenmue if you could choose either the original Japanese voice acting, or the rubbish English dub.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Mononoke » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:23 pm

GREATMADMAN wrote:Personal preference is dreamcast, its the first one i played and i think it flows better with the Japanese voices. I do like the snapshot feature and the extra stability/polish the Xbox version has though.

There is no question about that imo!

I definately prefer the dreamcast version. not just because I played it way before the xbox port, but also because i prefer the japanese voicing (been a bit confusing that some voices from Shenmue I were in Shenmue II either for entirely other people)

I dont see how the xbox versioon was polished. It looked the same exycept for having more people on the streets and running smoother, while the dreamcast sometimes slowed down when you ran into lots of people like in White Dynasty Qr. for example

The screenshot feature was somehwat col but still kind of useless and it sucked the number of screenshots was limited. I mean did anyone ever manage to jam his xbox hdd? I think not, so they could have set ther limit way higher.

Last but not least, and most importantly no less:

I loved that shenmue II could use the shenbmue I cleared file..so you had all the items you collected by yourself in japan and the date was different from just starting a new game, actually I did a quick run once and was able to arrive in Honkong on my birthday (jan 15)

Subtitles never been an issue for me, I watch anime in japanese only so im used to read subs, and to be honest they never bothered me, as a gamer and someone who is used to read subs I can see the whole screen without focusing on readin subs.they just flow by

And having played the game so many times i know what they are saying anyway (Shenmue I: 15 times, Shenmue II: 13 times)

I actually even despise the xbox port. I still have it and I wont sell it, because its still Shenmue which is like a religion to me.

I lost my dc and the entire collection due to some asshole, so I needed the xbox port tpo have at laeast some shenmue, but the 1st thing I took care of when getting another one was buying a new Shenmue I and II (since shenmue II is hard to get I somehow ended up with 2 copies of Shenmue I and one copy of Shenmue II, so I got the whole game twice :D)

oh yeah I also preferred the dc controller over the xbox controller, the xbox controller is only good for racing games but sucks for most other games, then again the dc controller took a while to get used to but remains my favorite controller over the years

Yeah sorry, I think psx/ps2 controllers suck, they just look cool, but the d-pad is almost as bad as the xbox pan, and digital triggers are horrible, and of course the button quality of dc controller was just amazing, my very own controller (the player 1 controller..i had 4 of course lol) of my old dc survived way about 9k hours of gaming whereas 2k go to Shenmue, 2k to SoulCalibur and at least as much to other fighting games. (about 2k for pso but that game wasnt very abusive with the buttons and the d-pad but wioth the triggers and the analog stick..and everything was operating perfectly until the very end..just that it went supersmooth from playing that much (yeah i literally polished it while playing, like the ridge between the buttons disappeared etc)
Mononoke
Asia Travel Representative

Postby TheEdge » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:46 pm

Did they use the same voice actors for Shenmue 2? Also how was Ren's voice?
TheEdge
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:35 pm

TheEdge wrote:Did they use the same voice actors for Shenmue 2? Also how was Ren's voice?

Are there many returning characters apart from Ryo? Corey Marshall returned.

Ren looks and sounds younger than I thought he did, only 19!?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Mononoke » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:57 pm

lots of the minor roles were voiced by people who already voiced shenmue I minor roles

Sorry that I cant be more specific atm but I will try to compile a list for next time

I really dont touch my xbox Shenmue II, its like a disgrace compared to the DC version for me. I mean if you play a game for so many times its hard to get used to the xbox port

TBH I would really like to have a Shenmue I with jpn voicing and english subs, and thats not because I dislike the english dub, it was really good. Japanese just felt better.

well i made a long post before what other reasons I have to prefer the original dc game

Ima try to make a list within the next few days..sadly my scart cable (european av connector standard) is broken and the rf-in for my tv aint in perfect condition, so I hope I can stab my dc to work (got to remember to order an original scart cable..still available, in sealed boxes)
Mononoke

Postby Brown Tiger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Well the Xbox version isn't a dissapointment if you never played the DC japanese version. Which looks like the majority here though I loved Shenmue1 for Dreamcast and would of prefered to play the sequal in that system I never had the opportunity to port the sequel. So I got the Shenmue II Xbox version when it came out on release I believe or close to it. I prefer the Xbox version, having been used to the english version since the first game, as laughable as it was sometimes it definately did not hurt the experience. Only made it better the second time around. :)
Brown Tiger

Postby Mononoke » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:37 pm

yeah I know

gotta thank Peter Moore for this bright idea!

(not just for giving shenmue us to xbox but also for playing a big role in sega decision to become a software developer, selling most of their hardware labs to microsoft....

strange how peter moore become xbox live ceo short after that happened (wow really I dont know of much people I like less than him)

Shenmue was one of the few times when being european reocked! We got it faster and got the game as it was meant to to be

but hey you can still order shenmue II dc on ebay, sure its not really cheap, but i think its worth it

(im still looking for few kinda collectible stuff to complete my personal shenmue games collection..that is: "What's Shenmue" and the ntsc-j version of Shenmue US..just for the box art btw)

Im pretty sure you guys just were happy to have it at all (clearly understandable, the game is all the same anyway, even runs better..)

I think my main problem is that Shenmue is kinda religion for me, and for the parts been made its a religion that has to be worshipped on dc (yes i really am that crazy..check my profile for more info on how Shenmue-natic i really am)
Mononoke

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II