Do you prefer japanese or english dubbing?

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby ChaiOgawa » Thu May 08, 2003 11:53 pm

English because i speak english Wierd i know, japanese is good because it has the best voice actors but english just because i can understand them not that i mind reading subtitles really i dont care as long as its shenmue.
ChaiOgawa

Postby Darkly » Fri May 09, 2003 10:24 am

Last edited by Darkly on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkly
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby kenshiro » Sat May 10, 2003 6:43 am

I think Japanese voices are the best, because they are the original voices after all. Also Yu Suzuki, the director, can't speak English and he really envisioned the game in Japanese. Also, the Japanese voice acting is much, much better. It would be like dubbing The Matrix or Xmen 2 in Japanese.....wouldn't look right.

As for the "authenticity" issue, the point is Japanese is the original language of the game, not necessarily the most "realistic". It just looks right....I mean we can take real world examples of this. Look at the movie Gladiator and Schindler's List, both those movies are in English when they should realistically be in Latin and German. But it looks proper in English b/c they are both American made films.

I personally think dubbing really ruins games, movies, etc. But I understand the business aspect of how American people like to listen to everything in English, so the simple solution is to make games multi-language like Shinobi and Sonic.
kenshiro
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby kumo_no_yuza » Sun May 11, 2003 1:40 am

Dubbing won't ruins games or movie when is accurated and full of way of meanings tipic of every language... works in hurry without qualified dubbers/translators will always produce bad works!!!
of course if one is japanese and the game is ambiented in japan... why speak english ???
kumo_no_yuza
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Neo Matrix » Sun May 11, 2003 2:07 pm

But there are some places where the translation was censored to something else. I don't know the exact place, but don't some boys describe Yuan in Japanese a little differently than the subs translated it?
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Wuying Ren » Sun May 11, 2003 3:27 pm

Me and my mate had a little argument about this.

OK, I understand where you're coming from when you say that it's a japanese game so it should have japanese voices because it makes it seem more real and gives it originality.

On the other hand, I don't understand Japanese and don't care much for subtitles, I prefer to understand the voice so if it's dubbed in English, that will seem more real to ME! Agreed that the dubbed voices may not be as good and not as much emotion etc but I prefer english voices because they seem more real to me because I understand them. I'm not arguing that the japanese voices aren't better because they are. It's just that english voices are better to ME. There....

Hope you understand and respect where i'm coming from.

I think they should give a choice of japanese and dubbed voices.
Wuying Ren
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Neo Matrix » Sun May 11, 2003 3:47 pm

It is down to preference, it's the same as watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Which version would you watch? The sub or the dub?
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby kenshiro » Mon May 12, 2003 1:24 am

kumo_no_yuza wrote:Dubbing won't ruins games or movie when is accurated and full of way of meanings tipic of every language... works in hurry without qualified dubbers/translators will always produce bad works!!!
of course if one is japanese and the game is ambiented in japan... why speak english ???

Nah, Jack Nicholson wouldn't sound the same dubbed in Japanese. People liviing the rest of world generally don't watch stuff dubbed, pretty much everything is subbed. Dubbing doesn't always totally ruin a game, but it certainly takes something away from it. It also makes it further away from the creator's vision. Look at the Matrix, that movie was envisioned in English, not Japanese, so to dub it in Japanese (which they won't do) takes something from it.

Like I say, I understand the business aspect, so I think they should always make games multi-language.
kenshiro
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Juanfran » Mon May 12, 2003 6:13 am

The problem with movie dubs is that there is no lipsynch though, something that can (theoretically) be corrected in games.
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby kenshiro » Tue May 13, 2003 6:52 am

Juanfran wrote:The problem with movie dubs is that there is no lipsynch though, something that can (theoretically) be corrected in games.

Even so, Jack Nicholson wouldn't be Jack Nicholson in Japanese.
kenshiro
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Juanfran » Tue May 13, 2003 7:33 am

That's because everyone knows what Jack Nicholson sounds like, but no one can really know what Ryo sounds like
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby kumo_no_yuza » Tue May 13, 2003 10:56 pm

kenshiro wrote:
Juanfran wrote:The problem with movie dubs is that there is no lipsynch though, something that can (theoretically) be corrected in games.

Even so, Jack Nicholson wouldn't be Jack Nicholson in Japanese.

That's the reason why I prefer the "original dubbing" in every way... also I prefer to see Matrix, X-men, Star Trek, in original language... and I bought all of these in USA - Region 1 code DVD!!!
for all those don't understand... hope only dubbing is made by expert dubbers!!!! by the way I'm Italian (also if actually I'm in china for various reason - also for work...)... (hope to back soon to my sweet - otaku style - home!!!! my DC and Xbox for Shenmue3 awaits me!!!!!)
and when I see Evangelion for first time in japanese I haven't understand much (it uses a very complicated japanese) so I had to seen in Italian... but Italian dubbers are not at level of Japanese dubbers so... DVD has both!!!! and why also for games we cannot have both ???
DAMN!!!!
We are in 2003 and we use double layer DVD media !!!!!! 8)
why cannot have multi dubbing (English, Japanese, maybe also Chinese)!!

Wuyian Ren thanx!!!!!!!!!!! :)
kumo_no_yuza

Postby Silas » Thu May 15, 2003 6:57 am

Yes, but Italian dubbing is legendarily bad! (I'm half Italian myself, although I don't speak the lingo, and have seen many English Language films and TV programs dubbed into Italian.)
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby RoninPedroshin » Thu May 15, 2003 10:23 am

I prefer the English dubbing, I'm not english so that's why. I don't like Portuguese dubbed games... I think it was because I got used to English in most games.

Shenmue I that I played was english and Ryo got that voice, that sound. How could he change it from Shenmue I to II? (in DC) Maybe it would be ok if only the language changed and voice would keep the same but that's mostly impossible. 1 thing I don't like are some goofy voices in the game.... Hey I didn't know Bugs Bunny was 1 of the translators :lol:. If you wanna know where he is do this:

Face the Come Over Guest House as if you were about to get in; turn right and walk until you get to the street corner. In that corner there is a Lucky Hit stand. Talk to the owner of it. His voice reminds me Bugs Bunny lol. Ask him for a game as his voice looks more like Bugs Bunny when he says "Pick a stand". ;)
RoninPedroshin

Postby Jiezeru » Thu May 15, 2003 12:32 pm

I prefer Japanese because,if you remember, People complained anbout the repeating of Ryos words and phrases.
While playing shenmue 2 dc, i actually picked up quite a bit of the basic language through it!
Yeah also it does sound more natural and the voice acting in JPnese sounds more enthusiastic.
The american voice acting is in a lot of places gourmless! ;)

They should do an option where you can choose so it will keep everyone happy!
Jiezeru
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II