Do you prefer japanese or english dubbing?

(Chapters 3-6)

Postby Silas » Mon May 19, 2003 10:07 am

geezer1287 wrote:I prefer Japanese because,if you remember, People complained anbout the repeating of Ryos words and phrases.
While playing shenmue 2 dc, i actually picked up quite a bit of the basic language through it!
Wow, I thought that was just me. I mentioned this in a post sometime, and then thought it just made me sound stupid, so I'm glad someone else thought the same thing!
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby kumo_no_yuza » Wed May 21, 2003 9:51 pm

Silas wrote:Yes, but Italian dubbing is legendarily bad! (I'm half Italian myself, although I don't speak the lingo, and have seen many English Language films and TV programs dubbed into Italian.)

WOW!!! you are half-italian!!! Hi, Bro!!!
Yes... I must admit that Italian dubbing is awful!!! For example the two series of "Fist of the north star" (Hokuto no ken) were all dubbed by four or five voices in total with a man that do the female voices!!!! :lol:
It is only paragonable with the cinese dubbing!!! all the films and cartoons here are dubbed by always the same three person!!! in backround (for non-chinese series) you can always hear the disturbed original dubbing!!!
kumo_no_yuza
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Andy Hughes » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:19 pm

I prefer te jap dubbed the English is so crappy man.
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: My Guitar ;)

Postby Shenmue_Saga » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:57 pm

Men this topic is old.
Shenmue_Saga
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: GM-Shenmue
XBL: GM Shenmue
Steam: gmshenmue
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Suairyu » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:28 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:the voice acting is some of the worst I have seen.. but it makes sense via how huge and how many people the game has in it... I wouldnt wanna pay that much for good voice actors if i could get cheaper ones... so yeah Japanese reigns over english... now question about it besides I like going through Shenmue as Yu Suzuki originally wanted it to be heard but I ma used to japanese cause of all the anime I watch... ;)

But Yu Suzuki did state he preferred the English voices over the Japanese as they were superior actors (it's in an interview in the Official Dreamcast Magazine for the UK). Hell, they even released Shenmue US in Japan as so many liked the English version.

Personally, I do prefer the English. It's a mixture of playing the English version first and being able to hear so much bad acting in the Japanese (more so than the English, which I admit wasn't fantastic). I'm not making accusations about anyone in these forums but a lot of the time people think the Japanese original dubs in games and anime are of a higher calibre simply because they're not used the the nuances in the language, everything sounding so foreign that they cannot discern good from bad, of which there is a lot. I don't rate most Japanese VAs I hear, as they go for one of three stereotypes 99% of the time - "overly cute and hyperactive", "has been smoking too much and thus has a horribly deep voice", "full of youthful zest and foolishness". Very rarely will you hear Japanese voice work that cannot be slotted into one of those stereotypes.
Suairyu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shenmue_Saga » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:39 am

I think Yu Suzuki was drunk that day, how can the english dub be better that the original one?
Shenmue_Saga
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: GM-Shenmue
XBL: GM Shenmue
Steam: gmshenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:29 am

LanDC wrote:I think i prefer the english more. mostly because i met shenmue in english. for me, ryo hazuki is corey marshall! noone else!

Same here bro. I started playing Shenmue in english. I do play it in Nihongo too but hearing the english voices brings back all the memories of when I first played Shenmue 1 ^.^
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Suairyu » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:34 pm

Shenmue_Saga wrote:I think Yu Suzuki was drunk that day, how can the english dub be better that the original one?

Just because the Japanese voices came first, it doesn't mean they were the best (bad analogy: just before filming Lord Of The Rings they recast the role of Aragorn to Vigo Mortenson because he was better, despite not being there first). Everyone into anime and Japanese games seems to have this idea that the Japanese voice actors are the creator's "original pure vision" or some other rubbish simply because they're Japanese and got there first. He stated he was much more happy with the acting in the English version and it matched his "original pure vision" better.

Even the arguements about the Japanese voices being more realistic and are untrue as Ryo happily strolls around Hong Kong speaking Japanese, where the prominent language would actually have been English and a few Chinese-used languages such as Cantonese and Mandarin due to the British Empire having control at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I fully respect people who say "I preferred the Japanese because to me it sounded better/suited the characters more", but those who say untrue garbage about the English dub being terrible, less realistic or simply against Yu Suzuki's "original vision", especially considering he preferred the English himself, have no respect from me nor hold a valid, well-thought opinion at all.
Suairyu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Racer D » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:09 pm

I think everyone here has valid reasons, after all it's a personal choice? Personally I enjoyed the Japanese dub, 'cause it added to the realism and a nice change of pace for me. Ha, I also enjoyed Ryo's japanese voice after he drank a soda, something like "gaaahhhh!" Maybe it's just me...
Racer D
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Miles Prower » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:15 am

Had wrote:I prefer te jap dubbed the English is so crappy man.

Had, will you PLEASE stop bumping three-year old topics? Its really getting annoying now.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Do you prefer japanese or english dubbing?

Postby Balzak802 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:12 pm

To me, the English dubbing would be better in my opinion than the Japanese version mostly because I cannot stand reading subtitles on any moving picture. Also that I really do enjoy Corey Marshell as playing Ryo more than the Japanese actor because he just sound a lot better and more interesting than the Japanese actor. Also, when something is subtitled my eyes are looking down most of the time but when it is dubbed, I could actually focus on the whole screen than just looking down. Then again, I am sort of lazy and do not want to read something when I play a game.
Balzak802

Re:

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Miles Prower wrote:
Had wrote:I prefer te jap dubbed the English is so crappy man.

Had, will you PLEASE stop bumping three-year old topics? Its really getting annoying now.

Owned.

Balzak802 wrote:To me, the English dubbing would be better in my opinion than the Japanese version mostly because I cannot stand reading subtitles on any moving picture. Also that I really do enjoy Corey Marshell as playing Ryo more than the Japanese actor because he just sound a lot better and more interesting than the Japanese actor. Also, when something is subtitled my eyes are looking down most of the time but when it is dubbed, I could actually focus on the whole screen than just looking down. Then again, I am sort of lazy and do not want to read something when I play a game.

I'm with you. I've played both versions but naturally I prefer the english dub. Nothing wrong with his voice and means my attention isn't divided when playing the game. Really doesn't bother me playing Yakuza 3 though..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Panda_rapist » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:40 pm

correy marshall is a robot for heavens sake, he's the reason why there are so many situation that feel so awkward in the game
Panda_rapist

Postby Res » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:53 pm

私は日本語を好む。 私は英語を読んでもいい。
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Res wrote:私は日本語を好む。 私は英語を読んでもいい。

汉语是更好的
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II