lan di sama?

(Chapters 3-6)

lan di sama?

Postby gargar » Thu May 27, 2004 2:36 pm

in the first game these black suited guys call lan di "lan di sama" why did they stop calling him like that in the future games? is it because of... you know, osama and the whole 9/11? ok, maybe it's a stupid question, but still?
gargar
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby TrueSonicBlue » Thu May 27, 2004 3:16 pm

I was playing against Chai at You Arcade a couple of days ago and I heard him say "Lan Di-Sama". I just completed the second game a few weeks ago and I don't remember hearing the "Sama" part at any point in S2. I don't really know why they stopped calling him that but it wouldn't surprise me if it is because of osama (I know names should be capitalized but I don't capitalize osama's out of disrespect). Knowing how PC everyone is it could be possible. How people would get to the conclusion to drop the "Sama", I don't know. Lan Di is Chinese and osama is Saudi Arabian. I haven't played S2 on the DC, so I don't know what he is called on that. If he is referred to as Lan Di-Sama, then it probably was dropped on the Xbox because of osama. If anyone knows what is said on the DC please post a reply.
TrueSonicBlue
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Chaos » Thu May 27, 2004 3:37 pm

Edit: I don't know why they would drop -sama in Shenmue II, but I know for a fact it's not something lame like Osama, because Sama is a sign of respect in Japanese like "Mr or Mrs."
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby TrueSonicBlue » Thu May 27, 2004 3:42 pm

They don't call him Lan Di-Sama on the Xbox version of Shenmue 2. In the English DC version of Shenmue Chai and the men in the black suits call him Lan Di-Sama. I just want to know what he is referred to as in S2 on the DC.
TrueSonicBlue
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Chaos » Thu May 27, 2004 3:44 pm

I was just correcting the statement that sama was dropped because of Osama....
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Supa » Thu May 27, 2004 3:58 pm

No no no, "sama" does not mean "Mr." or Mrs."...it means"king". That's why Chai and the black suits call him "Lan Di - sama", because he is their boss, their king. "san" means "Mr." or "Mrs."The guards in the old district also call Guizhang, "Guizhang - sama" also because he is their boss; their "king".
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Supa » Thu May 27, 2004 3:59 pm

Oh, and "sama" was not taken out beacause of 9/11.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Chaos » Thu May 27, 2004 4:08 pm

O_O Well I just looked it up on yes-japan's dictionary.

sama ( 様 : さま )
1. Mr. or Mrs. (pol) (suf)
2. manner
3. kind
4. appearance

I sure hope this site isn't wrong, because a friend is actually paying to use it, and is letting me use it too. <_<
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JalceW » Thu May 27, 2004 4:25 pm

I think it's just a more polite version of san (san being a contraction of sama). I very much doubt it means "king", since it's used fairly frequently in normal conversation (by shop staff towards customers, etc.).
JalceW
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby CT » Thu May 27, 2004 4:39 pm

I guess their just showing respect to Lan Di when they say Lan Di-Sama.
CT
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles Prower » Thu May 27, 2004 4:59 pm

I believe Sama means "master", as on the Xbox Shenmue II they call him "Master Lan Di".
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu May 27, 2004 5:09 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure Sama means master. In Shenmue II, they dropped saying sama and changed it to Master, Yuan calls Dou Niu Master Dou Niu, Dou Niu called Lan Di Master Lan Di, etc. In the DC version, the voices really do say "Dou Niu Sama", but the subtitles would say Master Dou Niu. They also put the names in the order we would: First name, Last name. That's why Zhu Yuan Da was changed to Yuanda Zhu. I don't know why they changed it, I liked it better the other way. Makes you feel even more you are in Japan and China.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiyuu » Fri May 28, 2004 11:31 am

ChaosZ3RO wrote:O_O Well I just looked it up on yes-japan's dictionary.

sama ( 様 : さま )
1. Mr. or Mrs. (pol) (suf)
2. manner
3. kind
4. appearance

I sure hope this site isn't wrong, because a friend is actually paying to use it, and is letting me use it too. <_<

Yes, that's right! http://www.solon.org/cgi-bin/j-e/dosear ... &fg=w&S=26
This online dictionary is free, by the way. 8) http://www.solon.org/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

"Sama" is not just for a king or a master. It's used exactly the same way as "san."
Just sounds more polite. Frayed is fairly correct!

Frayed wrote:I think it's just a more polite version of san (san being a contraction of sama). I very much doubt it means "king", since it's used fairly frequently in normal conversation (by shop staff towards customers, etc.).

Any of you can be called "-sama" at a shop or a restaurant as a customer!! ;)
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Supa » Fri May 28, 2004 12:20 pm

Have any of the Shenmue Dojo Staff offered you a mod or admin position yet, Kiyuu?If not, then they should.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby SuperJoint » Fri May 28, 2004 9:16 pm

I thought it was because it was in China and not Japan..
But I am clueless when it comes to Chinese and Japanese languages.. hopefully someday
SuperJoint
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Return to Shenmue II