Shenmue II VS Shenmue I

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue II VS Shenmue I

Postby Andy Hughes » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:44 am

Who thinks Shenmue II Is better than the first??. I think Shenmue II On my openyan becuz of the biger locations many more people and more. Can any of u dojo members tell me wich one u befar and why?.
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: My Guitar ;)

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:19 am

The original Shenmue is the best. I don't care about 'bigger locations, more freedom etc.', I just love the original Shenmue's environment, it is really cosy and calm, something that I can't explain. That is what makes it a lot better than Shenmue II.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Shenmue_Saga » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:48 am

Shenmue I of course, you have more freedom and you can do more things, like telefone, play saturn, etc
Shenmue_Saga
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: GM-Shenmue
XBL: GM Shenmue
Steam: gmshenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:49 am

Couldn't agree more!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Pogogacy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:43 am

I prefer Shenmue II for a number of reasons.

1) Japanese voices- even the most ardent Shenmue fan will concede that some of the English dubbing in Shenmue I was patchy. The Japanese voices give the game a level of authenticity that Shenmue I doesn’t achieve.

2) A wider variety of environments, each one as beautifully rendered and detailed as Yokosuka.

3) Shenmue II was longer. Obviously a long game doesn’t necessarily equate to a good game but as both Shenmue experiences were so special, I think this gives Shenmue II the edge.

4) Wuying Ren. 8)

5) The control layout of Shenmue II was superior. E.g., you had the option of moving with the analogue stick, you could see what the A,B,Y and X buttons did in the bottom right of the screen, etc.

ShenGCH wrote:The original Shenmue is the best. I don't care about 'bigger locations, more freedom etc.', I just love the original Shenmue's environment, it is really cosy and calm, something that I can't explain. That is what makes it a lot better than Shenmue II.

I agree with you to an extent. Both games had their own unique atmosphere (I wouldn’t say one’s better than the other) - Shenmue I a quite tranquil town and Shenmue II a heaving alien metropolis (compared to what Ryo’s used to at least). This is one of the things that makes the Shenmue games so special. Both of them were similar yet different at the same time and great games in their own right. Shenmue II, unlike many sequels made in this era of gaming, isn’t merely a carbon copy of the game which preceded it.
Pogogacy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Andy Hughes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:12 pm

Pogogacy wrote:I prefer Shenmue II for a number of reasons.

1) Japanese voices- even the most ardent Shenmue fan will concede that some of the English dubbing in Shenmue I was patchy. The Japanese voices give the game a level of authenticity that Shenmue I doesn’t achieve.

2) A wider variety of environments, each one as beautifully rendered and detailed as Yokosuka.

3) Shenmue II was longer. Obviously a long game doesn’t necessarily equate to a good game but as both Shenmue experiences were so special, I think this gives Shenmue II the edge.

4) Wuying Ren. 8)

5) The control layout of Shenmue II was superior. E.g., you had the option of moving with the analogue stick, you could see what the A,B,Y and X buttons did in the bottom right of the screen, etc.

ShenGCH wrote:The original Shenmue is the best. I don't care about 'bigger locations, more freedom etc.', I just love the original Shenmue's environment, it is really cosy and calm, something that I can't explain. That is what makes it a lot better than Shenmue II.

I agree with you to an extent. Both games had their own unique atmosphere (I wouldn’t say one’s better than the other) - Shenmue I a quite tranquil town and Shenmue II a heaving alien metropolis (compared to what Ryo’s used to at least). This is one of the things that makes the Shenmue games so special. Both of them were similar yet different at the same time and great games in their own right. Shenmue II, unlike many sequels made in this era of gaming, isn’t merely a carbon copy of the game which preceded it.

Apserlotly my friend, you are right there.
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby NeoShredder » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:22 pm

Shenmue III wins.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Andy Hughes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:26 pm

Do u mean II?
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby NeoShredder » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:45 pm

Had wrote:Do u mean II?

I mean what I said.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Re: Shenmue II VS Shenmue I

Postby Clint » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:49 pm

Had wrote:Who thinks Shenmue II Is better than the first??. I think Shenmue II On my openyan becuz of the biger locations many more people and more. Can any of u dojo members tell me wich one u befar and why?.

:lol:

Shenmue II, just by a tad.

I'd go into detail Had buddy, but i've posted my reasons in the previous 7 Shenmue vs Shenmue II threads.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Andy Hughes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:41 am

Ok fair enough.
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby xERuM » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:49 am

i think it's more, "shenmue feeling" in the first game, dont know why, but it feels like they put down moore work on the the first one. but, shenmue II isnt' bad at all, but its much moore different than shenmue I in many ways, that can be the reason :)
xERuM
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Silas » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:47 am

Shenmue I because of the atmosphere and the feeling you get.

No, wait! Shenmue II because you don't have to wait for stuff.

No, wait! Shenmue I because you can focus on about ten times as much stuff and buy non-storyline goods other than collectables.

No, wait! Shenmue II because of Ren and Joy.

No, wait! Shenmue I because of Nozomi and Guizhang.

No, wait! Shenmue II because of the Yellow Building sequence and rooftop fight with Dou Niu.

No, wait! Shenmue I because the lighting is better, as is the Magic Weather.

No, wait! Shenmue II because the storyline develops further.

No, wait! Shenue I because driving forklifts is better than carrying crates.

Hard, isn't it? I like living in Yokosuka, but I enjoy bursts of heartpounding action in Hong Kong, too.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby dbzruler88 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:23 pm

Silas wrote:Shenmue I because of the atmosphere and the feeling you get.

No, wait! Shenmue I because you can focus on about ten times as much stuff and buy non-storyline goods other than collectables.

No, wait! Shenmue II because of the Yellow Building sequence and rooftop fight with Dou Niu.

Hard, isn't it? I like living in Yokosuka, but I enjoy bursts of heartpounding action in Hong Kong, too.

best...post....ever... :lol:
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: jeremylovesanna
XBL: jeremylovesanna
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby OL » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Silas wrote:Shenmue I because of the atmosphere and the feeling you get.

That seems about right. I can't choose either.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Shenmue II