Shenmue I and II

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue I and II

Postby Luvly KM » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:33 am

I am currently compiling a personal 'awards of the decade' article and from which i present an excerpt. Before reading, all that really needs to be understood is that i put shenmue 2 at No.1 and the original shenmue (released in 2000 in the UK) at No.2

Criticism and discussion welcome.

Trying to distinguish between the formidable qualities of Shenmue 1 and 2 is an arduous and straining task in which I can only imagine is rather like a parent trying to separate the importance of one child over another. Indeed, the characteristics and qualities of each can be compared, deciphered and contrasted but even in spite of this, their actual essence and their reason for being just cannot be favoured over another. The accentuation of one only implies the other.

For example, the original games incredible attention to detail and verisimilitude, in which takes place over a small geographical setting (for better or worse?) provides significant and tangible credence to the range and scope of the latter; such adventure in which can only be fully harvested after the detailed exposition and focus of the original game. Shenmue 2 successfully works because of the investment in character and setting within the original Shenmue’s confines and whilst both games can stand on there own as quality games, I feel that they both work in tandem, a harmony that is solidified as the strengths of one support the weaknesses of the other—an ambiguous jigsaw, two pieces in size.

Furthermore, whilst both games have been released as two separate consumerist entities, I personally feel that it is much better to view them as one continuation of narrative, plot and character separated by chapters that merely span disc, not product. In essence, it is due to such inconsistencies in which my difficulty in comparison—regarding one better than the other within the abnormality of a list—is founded upon.

However, after much deliberation, it is within final act of Shenmue 2—the travels of Guilin and the fated meeting with Shen Hua—that offers a valid sense of accomplishment in which the original Shenmue could only hope to attain. These scenes offer a profound sense of wonderment and immersion within an ambience of pure happiness and relaxation. But of course, even from a ludological, game design perspective; when the final scene chooses to delve into a realm of pure fantasy it is further supported by the foundational base of reality that the previous games so passionately strive for. As such, it allows the revelation of pure fantasy at the end of Shenmue 2 to actually seem legitimate within the game world itself. A feat I have yet seen to be bettered in gaming, never mind within the last decade.

It is due to such grandeur and composure of both Shenmue games that casts an even more difficult question towards the actual ideal and existence of a ‘Shenmue 3’ and whether or not it would even benefit the series as a whole. How could a ‘Shenmue 3’ possibly wish to accentuate the ever-dating qualities of the first two? To me it seems a feat too large to be currently tackled and whilst this is perhaps a reflection upon the current lack of creativity and willingness to tread new ground within the modern day gaming industry, I feel it is more a reflection of the purity and accomplishment of the original two games. They cast a very large shadow in which any perpetual third and conclusive game would perhaps only fragment and at the very least, merely conclude the saga.
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Salpietro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

This is saturated with a little too much technicality and it better suited for a literary analyzation. I don't think it'll attract anyone who is under 33 years old.
Salpietro
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:28 pm

^ wot he sed lol!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby [mYLES] » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Salpietro wrote:This is saturated with a little too much technicality and it better suited for a literary analyzation. I don't think it'll attract anyone who is under 33 years old.

I read it... I understood it.... Im 23.... GTFO
[mYLES]
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Terra Ryzing » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:51 pm

I understand everything in that article but it is obviously written by a jackass who wants to try and sound smart. It's not necessary to use that kind of vocabulary unless you're trying to impress your 11th grade english teacher.
Terra Ryzing
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Luvly KM » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Terra Ryzing wrote:I understand everything in that article but it is obviously written by a jackass who wants to try and sound smart. It's not necessary to use that kind of vocabulary unless you're trying to impress your 11th grade english teacher.

Try to expand your horizons before unduly trying to goad me into a another sad internet quarrel..

here, check these out man...

Kevin Schut - Continuity and Discontinuity: An Experiment in Comparing Narratives Across Media
http://journals.sfu.ca/loading/index.php/loading/article/view/19/16

this one basically discusses the strengths and weaknesses of different Narrative mediums in creating believable secondary realities. It also builds a strong case that games are perhaps the best suited for exploring such crafted, imaginative worlds in comparison to those of novels and cinema. very good read.

Spend an hour, expand

http://www.eludamos.org/index.php/eludamos/issue/archive (Eludamos archive)

http://journals.sfu.ca/loading/index.php/loading (loading archive)
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:42 pm

I agree with most of what you said. The way I personally separate Shenmue I and II is that I consider S1 as a long introductory sequence. The game familiarizes the player with the main event that begins the entire story arc, gets them accustomed to Ryo as a character, and establishes the series' gameplay. With S2, I felt they took the foundation of S1 and began to tell the story. We were introduced to many important characters and plot points, of course capped off by the revelations during the Guilin chapter. I really see S1 as its own self contained story as well. In the grand scheme of everything, many of the events in S1 probably won't factor much into the rest of the plot, whereas in S2 they most definitely will.

Guilin was amazing for many reasons. I agree that there's a strong sense of accomplishment, especially when you talk to Shenhua about all your old friends when you spend the night in the cave. I remember thinking how far I came when I was talking about guys like Goro, Guizhang, and Fuku-san; characters I haven't even SEEN in S2 who I interacted with in my home town and helped me along the way. Since then, I traveled throughout Aberdeen, Kowloon, and Guilin, growing as a person AND martial artist.

From a game design perspective, how do you really explain how great the Guilin chapter is? It's essentially a 2-3 hour conversation that occurs in a beautiful forest setting that is entirely distinct from the rest of the game, with absolutely no action. We know that Shenhua is the most important character in the series (well, besides Ryo), but we don't know why. Really, we still don't know exactly why, but we get a hint of it during the ending sequence. Before then, we are able to learn about this character, spend time with this character, and get a great sense for who she is and where she comes from. Basically, meeting her is the most important event in the series so far.

The fantasy elements of the closing cinematic were effective because they were presented with some subtlety. They're not believable if you think that Shenmue is supposed remain strictly realistic, but the fantasy elements were hinted at throughout both games. I mean, there's the floating sword and laser from the phoenix mirror, and Shenhua is able to "will" the sword into that console her father made. However, both Ryo AND Shenhua are surprised by all of this, it's completely unexpected to them but still isn't completely over the top where the entire gameplay world is turned upside down (basically, it's not "Indigo Prophecy"). Of course, the player is surprised as well, but in a way it just works, somehow. I believe the game is still rooted in realism, which makes the subtle fantasy elements stand out ever further.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Bluecast » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Terra Ryzing wrote:I understand everything in that article but it is obviously written by a jackass who wants to try and sound smart. It's not necessary to use that kind of vocabulary unless you're trying to impress your 11th grade english teacher.

Fully agree with Terra.

All this proves is someone knows how to google.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:30 am

Anyway, moving aside from the way it is said, what is said is very good indeed.

Finally someone saying what I have been saying for a hell of a lot of time about SII final scene and Shenmue's mystic/fantasy elements. This game, this series is so very unique in many ways, and this is another one of them. It's just like the fantastic has become real right in front of you.

And we all hope Shenmue III is not the end. If it ends up being so, one far flung day, I hope it's as huge as it can be, however resumed, to engulf the most important aspects of the remaining chapters (and then some) and present it all in the (expanded) detail we were given in the two magnum opus shamelessly ignored by the videogames community.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Return to Shenmue II