Had a good dream?

(Chapters 3-6)

Had a good dream?

Postby wanna try Lucky Hit? » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Had aq good dream? .... That's what Joy asks Ryo when shw first picks him up to take him to work. It's the Chinese phrase with chinese subs. I wondered for years what she said... I found out here [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBC7lduJdNc[/youtube]

I'm sure you guys already knew but i just found out and i thought i would share :D
wanna try Lucky Hit?
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Re: Had a good dream?

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Bravo. I always wondered what she said, I guess I just assumed it was something dirty.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Res » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:40 pm

OK, this phrase annoys me for two reasons. First of all, to ask if you had a good dream in Chinese is simply "Zuo ge hao meng ba?" However, they add a measure word in there that is unrecognizable to me. And they add "le" making it "Zuo le (?) hao meng ba?" Although I speak Chinese, I do not read it or write it well (obviously). Can anyone help on that third character?

Secondly, this phrase is in Mandarin chinese and Hong Kong residents speak mostly Cantonese. Of course, they usually understand Mandarin, too but why have them speak to Ryo in Mandarin and not Cantonese? I also notice that during gameplay Ryo clearly uses renminbi which is Chinese dollars (a.k.a. Chinese Yuan). This is used in Mainland China. Hong Kong uses Hong Kong dollars that are not shown anywhere during gameplay. This would make sense to me if Ryo uses money in Guilin because then they wouldn't have to make him change currency and all that nonsense. Guilin is the only place in China that Ryo goes to during Shenmue II. Wan Chai and Kowloon are all in Hong Kong. However, Ryo does not use money in Guilin therefore, using renminbi in Hong Kong makes less sense to me.

This video also reminds me of the scene at the beginning of the game when Ryo is greeted by a girl who asks if he ate. This is a chinese greeting that Ryo takes too literally by answering the question. I always thought that was a funny little thing in there. Thanks for posting!
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby realnabarl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:21 am

Res wrote:OK, this phrase annoys me for two reasons. First of all, to ask if you had a good dream in Chinese is simply "Zuo ge hao meng ba?" However, they add a measure word in there that is unrecognizable to me. And they add "le" making it "Zuo le (?) hao meng ba?" Although I speak Chinese, I do not read it or write it well (obviously). Can anyone help on that third character?

做了個好夢吧? = Had a good dream?
It's a correct translation.

as you said...
做個好夢吧? = How about having a good dream?

So '了' is necessary for this sentence. It means something is done.

Res wrote:Secondly, this phrase is in Mandarin chinese and Hong Kong residents speak mostly Cantonese. Of course, they usually understand Mandarin, too but why have them speak to Ryo in Mandarin and not Cantonese? I also notice that during gameplay Ryo clearly uses renminbi which is Chinese dollars (a.k.a. Chinese Yuan). This is used in Mainland China. Hong Kong uses Hong Kong dollars that are not shown anywhere during gameplay. This would make sense to me if Ryo uses money in Guilin because then they wouldn't have to make him change currency and all that nonsense. Guilin is the only place in China that Ryo goes to during Shenmue II. Wan Chai and Kowloon are all in Hong Kong. However, Ryo does not use money in Guilin therefore, using renminbi in Hong Kong makes less sense to me.

This video also reminds me of the scene at the beginning of the game when Ryo is greeted by a girl who asks if he ate. This is a chinese greeting that Ryo takes too literally by answering the question. I always thought that was a funny little thing in there. Thanks for posting!

I think these can be considered as mistakes.
realnabarl
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Oppy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:16 am

You guys are pathetic. She wanted to know if he had a wank over her, that night. Except she was thinking with her boobs instead of her brain, and spoke it in the wrong language.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Res » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks for your help Realnabarl. However, I am aware of the past tense "le" being in there. I just don't know what the third charcter is. 個 It looks a little like the character for "gu." But it isn't and it seems unneccessary in the sentence because without this character the sentence is "Zuo le hao meng ba?" So, what might that one character be?

Oppy wrote:You guys are pathetic. She wanted to know if he had a wank over her, that night. Except she was thinking with her boobs instead of her brain, and spoke it in the wrong language.

This is much more plausible. I think Ryo repeats this frame hoping it's this.
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby realnabarl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:45 am

Res wrote:Thanks for your help Realnabarl. However, I am aware of the past tense "le" being in there. I just don't know what the third charcter is. 個 It looks a little like the character for "gu." But it isn't and it seems unneccessary in the sentence because without this character the sentence is "Zuo le hao meng ba?" So, what might that one character be?

It's classifiers in Chinese.

One apple in Chinese is 一蘋果
Two apples = 兩蘋果
One book = 一

You can't say '一蘋果、一書', that's wrong. But you don't need mention it in English.

and
One cup of tea = 一
One bottle of water = 一

This is slightly different.
realnabarl

Postby wanna try Lucky Hit? » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Oppy wrote:You guys are pathetic. She wanted to know if he had a wank over her, that night. Except she was thinking with her boobs instead of her brain, and spoke it in the wrong language.

Well even if Ryo didn't i sure as hell did :shock: ;-) :D
wanna try Lucky Hit?
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08CvMGYL5MU[/youtube]
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby wanna try Lucky Hit? » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 pm

LOL @ 1:41 "Let's split up, I'll take the right and you left"....... :shock: :rotflmao:
wanna try Lucky Hit?
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Bluecast » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:46 pm

" had a wet dream?!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah I'm liek soooooo mature.... =;
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Oppy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:05 am

hahaha.

Ryo: Wrong hole? I DONT CARE!

Ryo: Im coming
Ren: Stay put..

Ryo: Joy!
Joy: what?
Ryo: Next time, It will be worse...
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Res » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Although we've translated what Joy is saying, we haven't figured out the most important part - what the hell is that singer saying? "You'll never meet any woman the likes of her." After that, I can't figure it out. These J-rock singers try to sing in English and it's just horrible.

By the way, glad to see that someone agrees with me in realizing that the currency in the game is the wrong currency. That always kinda bothered me but Yu Suzuki is allowed a hiccup every now and then.
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 am

Res wrote:Although we've translated what Joy is saying, we haven't figured out the most important part - what the hell is that singer saying? "You'll never meet any woman the likes of her." After that, I can't figure it out. These J-rock singers try to sing in English and it's just horrible.

By the way, glad to see that someone agrees with me in realizing that the currency in the game is the wrong currency. That always kinda bothered me but Yu Suzuki is allowed a hiccup every now and then.

Both useless trivia don't you think?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Res » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Res wrote:Although we've translated what Joy is saying, we haven't figured out the most important part - what the hell is that singer saying? "You'll never meet any woman the likes of her." After that, I can't figure it out. These J-rock singers try to sing in English and it's just horrible.

Both useless trivia don't you think?

If you think I was serious about finding out the lyrics to the song just because I called it the important part (sarcasm) then my attempt at not being serious was obviously poor. Not the first time, won't be the last, unfortunately. Though if someone does post the lyrics then I would welcome it.

Let me get this straight, though - you actually jump onto a post that started as translating what Joy was saying and became a post where people are talking about wanking to Joy (quite humorously I might add) and you claim that my particular post is useless? What’s wrong with you, man?

In regards to the currency, I just pointed it out and it's actually true. Some people might find it interesting, if not, no big deal. Know what I mean? Obviously you are not one who finds it interesting therefore what’s the point of pointing out something that you find pointless? If it's useless to you then, well, don't use it.
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue II