Lisle Wilkerson (Xiuying, Joy & Yuan)

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Lisle Wilkerson (Xiuying, Joy & Yuan)

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Hello Lisle, I have 2 question. Who is your favourite Shenmue character? Did you finish Shenmue 2?
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Re: Welcome to the Dojo - Lisle Wilkerson! (Xiuying, Joy & Y

Postby Ziming » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:20 pm

lisleweapon wrote:
I remember when I was doing Xiuying, the director kept telling me that he wanted her to have a very flat, almost monotone feel. I wanted to add a bit more emotion to her character, but the director didn't want that.

The director was completely wrong with this approach. You were in the right to want to add more emotion into her voice. Xiuying should of had a little bit more strength and authority in her English voice. She needed a slightly condescending voice like that of a strict schoolteacher would act toward a misbehaving student.

Did Sega provide you footage of your Japanese counterpart? Being raised in Japan and fluent in the language I bet you could of better interpreted her voice into English.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Spokane » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 pm

^ Yeah, this voice actors post and the last one have really pointed out the flaws when it came to directing them what to do and has helped to explain a lot about the voices you hear when playing the game.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Ziming wrote:
lisleweapon wrote:
I remember when I was doing Xiuying, the director kept telling me that he wanted her to have a very flat, almost monotone feel. I wanted to add a bit more emotion to her character, but the director didn't want that.

The director was completely wrong with this approach. You were in the right to want to add more emotion into her voice. Xiuying should of had a little bit more strength and authority in her English voice. She needed a slightly condescending voice like that of a strict schoolteacher would act toward a misbehaving student.

Did Sega provide you footage of your Japanese counterpart? Being raised in Japan and fluent in the language I bet you could of better interpreted her voice into English.

Yeah this just makes me want to ](*,)

Having played Shenmue in both english, and the PAL DC version with the japanese audio, it is clear to see that Xiuying, among many other characters, had alot more of their personality fleshed out with the japanese voice acting. It is a shame that the voice director wanted you to do a more monotone interpretation, HEAVENS why??? I really dislike when a director intentionally tries to hold back the actor/actress from putting on a good/thier best performance. But Xiuying is a bit of mysterious/serious/darker character compared to say, Joy so in some ways i guess it makes sense. I know japanese to english can get kinda hairy in translations and culture differences (which is especially true for Shenmue), but it can be done and be done well. Atleast it is good to hear that some of the voice actors attempted to try to flesh out their characters more. I really like your voice for Xiuying and Joy, your voice is beautiful especially for Joy, I am sure you are really that hot in real life too though. ;-)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks for sharing some of your experiences Lisle!
I wasn't really expecting you to answer the silly questions I asked, I was just in a funny mood that night!
But its a shame they didn't want you to use the Samatha voice for Yuan, that would have been brilliant(and would have probably turned me on a bit as well :ph34r: ).
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby wude » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 pm

^ :lol:

2011 is definitely one of the best years in shenmue's history, welcome lisle and thank you :)
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:17 pm

lisleweapon wrote:ok, so as far as my Tekken characters...I am Nina Williams, and also do the voice for Christie Monteiro, as well as Zafina. I actually went in the studio here in LA a few weeks ago to voice one of my Tekken characters for an upcoming game, which unfortunately I can't really discuss yet...but can give you details at a later date:)

Even though this is a Shenmue forum, i'm more of a Tekken fan myself. I'm wondering how the voice sessions as Nina and Christie went and how they compare to your shenmue experience.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby KiBa » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Thank you for posting here, Ms. Wilkerson. Your mellifluous voice in the English version was sufficient in itself to give the character a lot of charisma, and was an indispensable part of the mystical atmosphere of the game. In my opinion, the absence of emotion made Xiuying all the more interesting, especially if the story of Shenmue III would have demanded more emotion from the character as she developed. I hope you reprise your role as Xiuying in Shenmue III, if it is to be made.

Since you grew up in Japan and speak perfect Japanese, why didn't you play the same roles in the English and Japanese versions? This isn't really a question, but a comment. It would seem to make more sense.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Ziming » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:54 am

The Japanese voice cast was chosen long before the release of the first game in Japan. Satsuki Tsuzumi voices Xiuying in both Shenmue games. Honestly in my opinion I doubt Sega would of allowed a non-native actress to voice her character in Japanese. Even if she is fluent... I only assume this because Japanese are meticulous when it comes to voicing characters in their native tongue. Perhaps I'm wrong and Ms. Wilkerson will enlighten me. :)
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby DreamcastPast » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks for taking time to share your experience with us all Lisle, I hope you will return to us soon!!
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby lisleweapon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:56 pm

animegamer183, haha...actually Peter found me through FB:) so we are FB friends.
@axm...thanks:) you know...I have done work for a lot of video games, but I MUST say that I have gotten the most interview requests,etc. from Shenmue fans. so I will say...YOU GUYS ROCK! :) you deserve all the attention you can get!:)
lisleweapon
Asia Travel Representative

Postby lisleweapon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:11 pm

KiBa and ziming...so as for the question about doing the Japanese voices, actually there are VERY few foreign voice over actors who can actually DO both English and Japanese. I know it might sound weird, but there are tons of "gaijin" (non-Japanese) that are fluent in Japanese, but it doesn't mean that they can actually sound like a native Japanese when a mic is thrust in front of them. I will say, though, that I am one of the few that actually CAN do voice over work in both Japanese and English, BUT it absolutely kicks my butt everytime I do it. (not trying to "toot my own horn" or anything)
So I have done voice work in both English and Japanese, but it is just easier and quicker to have Japanese do the native Japanese voices, and then non-Japanese do the English. And strangly enough, many times the client doesn't want the
EXACT same voice for both the English and Japanese.

@Kenny...in response to your Tekken questions...honestly i will say that my favorite voice to do has been Nina Williams.
I really enjoy her character a lot, and can identify with her probably the most out of all the characters.
A quick Tekken story for you...one day I had a recording after my boxing workout, so I biked to the studio right after my workout to do the voice of Nina. ( I had a "pimped out" black and red bike with a cute leopard print seat...it was awesome, and I rode it all around the cities for my various jobs/work that I had) Anyway, I came into the studio carrying my leopard print boxing gloves, and wearing my workout wear. And the client (Namco) just started laughing and said to me "Ohhhhh, Lisle san, you are only person who actually looks like character!! you are Nina desu!"
It was quite funny:) they then asked me to write some lines that I WOULD say if I were actually Nina. SO I came up with some of the lines like "isn't it past your bedtime?" and "I don't play with amateurs!" :)
lisleweapon

Postby lisleweapon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:19 pm

@wude, thank you:)
lisleweapon

Postby Bluecast » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Now in Japan Sega had the voice actors dress up like the characters. They didn't make you dress like that did they? I would thing it would be cold and feeling a little :oops:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Ziming » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Thank you for answering our questions. According to imdb your first voice gig was the game "Crazy Taxi" in 1999. At around that time Sega was about to release the first Shenmue title on the Sega Dreamcast. Were you aware of Shenmue back then or that they were looking for English voice actors at one point? (Jeremy Blaustein a translator/localization coordinator recollects his trouble looking for voice actors here.)

Care to also comment about this video? ;-)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZND_Lfsz5M[/youtube]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II