Lisle Wilkerson (Xiuying, Joy & Yuan)

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Lisle Wilkerson (Xiuying, Joy & Yuan)

Postby mue 26 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:05 pm

lol, thats a great little showreel!
I really want to go to that chocolate shop, thats crazy!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Big thanks to Lisle for posting here, that's awesome of you. I can't think of any questions right now but love hearing about your job and life in Japan, very fascinating (I'm a little jealous, riding bikes around town and doing voice work sounds like such a nice routine). Also am a big fan of Lost in Translation, so hearing about your brief role made the movie that much more enjoyable, to have a link to Shenmue.

Would you be interested in signing the official Shenmue 3 petition?

http://www.petitiononline.com/shen1986/petition.html

It doesn't really mean that much in the long run, but it would be cool to say that even the voice actors of the game would like to see the series continue and that a few of them signed their names in support. Suzuki himself and I'm sure Sega as well are aware of the petition and the tens of thousands of fans that have signed it.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hazuki Legend » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:58 am

Lan Di-sama wrote:Suzuki himself and I'm sure Sega as well are aware of the petition and the tens of thousands of fans that have signed it.

Yup Sega are also definately aware, crazy to think that it's almost at 65,000 now. Sure people might have signed it more than once but you find me a game petition with more signatures out there...
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Postby Dorian » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:12 pm

We know for years that they know.

At this point, it's not about the fan support - they know about it very well. It's only about SEGA's black suits decision. Let us all chill the fuck out and enjoy the show.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby lisleweapon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 pm

@ziming, yes, the first game I am credited with doing on imdb is Crazy Taxi, but I have actually done probably close to 100 games over the years...and started doing voices for various games from around the mid-90's. But I didn't take record of all the ones I did, so I couldn't manually add them to my imdb page. usually that stuff is done automatically, but I guess maybe the older games don't have good records of the voice over talent either? not sure...
anyway...lol... about that video..that is part of my demo reel, and it is a snippet of an NHK show that I used to be the resident reporter for. LOVED doing that show because it was unscripted, so there were always moments of surprise like that footage of me singing "almost home" with the Japanese man. And that is really what I enjoy the most about reporting/interviewing people on tv...you never know what kind of curve ball will be thrown your way...or what kind of curve ball you will decide to throw their way:)
lisleweapon
Asia Travel Representative

Postby lisleweapon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:03 pm

lan di-sama, thank you to you guys for having me:) and sure I will sign the petition. :)
lisleweapon

Postby Ziming » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:33 am

Once again Ms. Wilkerson thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! :D

Since you can understand Japanese I would like to recommend you check out some of our archived Shenmue videos. These old videos will be a history lesson on how much time and effort Sega and Yu Suzuki put into Shenmue. It might help you better appreciate your involvement with this game series. Enjoy!

Shenmue Premiere (quality sucks... :sad:)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ziming#p/c/46523765C402CBE1

Project Berkley
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ziming#p/c/79896DE94F7D1F65
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:15 pm

oh my lisle the video that Ziming posted definitely illustrates your wide portfolio of television and voice over work. I saw some pretty racy scenes among some of that! You seem like a trip with a big girl attitude, my fave! lol I bet many japanese are very thrown off by you sometimes with your vast knowledge of the cultrue and language, you can even tell from the video some of the japanese people have a look on their face like "is this white girl for real?" haha I have a feeling you probably do it on purpose/cant help it since its the environment you came up in. Hows it feel being a japanese raised caucasian and what do you think the perception of other japanese is on you? Also how often were you going back and forth from japan to the states growing up?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:27 pm

At first big thanks to Lisle from me for the awesome voice work in Shenmue 2. Xiuying is definitely my favorite in Shenmue 2, i bet this was the hardest one to do due to the consistent frequency, probably also the one taking most concentration. I still think the director was right about the decision of the flat voice and the way it is performed imho this is really a 100% one. I think the voice of Xiuying underlines her game character really a lot and imho it really fits her cold and sharp behaviour perfectly.

I could imagine that doing Joy was not necessarily much easier but Joy is a much more "natural" voice with the rather typical tendencies of a female voice, probably more fun to do as you could really live out her emotions in her voice and also did that in a brilliant way. I really like how the voice is favored towards the dialogues with Ryo, having this small "I got a crush on you" tendency.

I think Yuans voice was definitely a challenge as they had taken a male character for the role in the japanese version. It is not really explained in the game but nearly all japanese players immediately recognized Yuan as a homosexual or transvestite character. I would really love to hear details about the original instructions from the director. I think this is actually one of the most controversial voices in video game history at all and reflecting the enormous influence of the voice artist on the final character. In Japan Yuan was usually thought of as a (male) transvestite while in other countries with your voice Yuan got the reception mainly as a (female) homosexual character. How hard was it to refine the final voice of Yuan, was it a long "re-adjusting" due to the directors wishes or did you hear the character description, tried it and the director was immediately like "That's it!"? I could imagine it was more complicated to work out with the director due to the difficult character.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:56 am

Welcome to the dojo Lisle. All of my questions were asked already, just wanted to say Thanks for being a fundamental part in an extraordinary experience in Shenmue. Also, I feel that your voice acting was some of the best I've ever heard in a videogame.

- James Reiner
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby rens of heavens » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:28 am

Question! Just wondering why were you replace as the voice of Gena in the Crazy Taxi sequels. Sega kept Axel voice the same, why not yours?
rens of heavens
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Brothaman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:35 am

Wow, this is the most behaved I've ever seen these guys. :lol: Anyway, thanks for dropping by Ms. Wilkerson.
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby silversons100thaccount » Mon May 02, 2011 2:44 pm

I thought Xiuying turned out great personally
silversons100thaccount
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Supa » Sat May 07, 2011 12:51 am

Great to have you, Lisle! I recently talked with you on Facebook about the Shenmue games. I will come back when I have more questions. :)
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat May 07, 2011 8:00 am

Supa wrote:Great to have you, Lisle! I recently talked with you on Facebook about the Shenmue games. I will come back when I have more questions. :)

I think she's gone :lol:
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II