Speed run Shenmue 2

(Chapters 3-6)

Speed run Shenmue 2

Postby STRONG BIRD » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:45 am

People i know shenmue 2 is not meant to be speedrun but i seem to really enjoy speed running it. i have completed it like 3 times over the past week and i am starting to wanna see how quickly it can be completed. i saw one guy on here complete it in 3 hours 50 minutes, thats very quick but i have watched the videos and it doesnt show how he got the money to pay for ren and for the street fights in kowloon. Soon im gonna get a HD PVR and ill record myself doing a single segmented run of shenmue 2 and im gonna attempt to beat the 3 hours 50 minutes.

This is going to take time and i will eventually stream on twitch.tv

Any advice or help with strategies or best way to fight would be great.

STRONG BIRD has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
STRONG BIRD
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: STRONG BIRD
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Re: Speed run Shenmue 2

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 am

3 hours and 50 minutes? The cut scenes alone probably last that long. Even if you skip them that seems a bit of a stretch, but good luck.

There are lots of little tricks and short cuts that might shorten the time - at least, in Discs 1 and 2. Obviously, you know where all the Wude peeps are. When Ren pulls his knife on you (make sure you have the money first so you don't have to backtrack, of course) I think losing would be quicker. Also, when you affront Ren and the gang in Pigeon Park you don't have to chase after one of his cronies. Ren is way faster, but you can go straight to Lucky Plaza.

Many years ago my friend and I rigged our tv's and xbox's side by side and had a "Shenmue Race". We got most of the way through Kowloon before going to sleep, but that point I was smoking him =)

I'm sure you knew these tips already but have fun :)
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby STRONG BIRD » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Cheers for your input but thats basic stuff. The main problem is gonna be getting the money for ren because at the start i could buy a load of lighters and sell them at a pawnshop later on but i wont have enough time to get all the wude done in the first day, but see i know i need to have 1000HK before i meet ren so i can give him 500 and the first street fighter in kownloon. Now any input on how to get the money for ren and the street fighter as quickly as possible would be very helpful. im gonna keep practising speedrunning this and hopefully new glitches will come about and they will help me to speed run quicker.
STRONG BIRD

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 pm

fool just go to the gambling stands in the alley by come over guest house. bet the max (500 hk dollars) before gamblimg save your game. if you lose. reset the game. if you win save and repeat.

EDIT: if you dont have 500 to bet then bet the minimum. 100. win now you have 200. bet 200 win. now you have 400 etc... then you can start betting the max 500
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby STRONG BIRD » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:14 am

See doing the betting and resetting is very easy but at the sametime because im using an xbox 360 there aint a 'reset button' so i gotta dashboard then reload?
STRONG BIRD

Postby STRONG BIRD » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:19 am

Not only that but it seems no matter how quickly i do the wude as soon as i have got to go back to man no temple i cant get in because its shut? now have i got to do the invisible glitch to get inside or??
STRONG BIRD

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:07 am

STRONG BIRD wrote: See doing the betting and resetting is very easy but at the sametime because im using an xbox 360 there aint a 'reset button' so i gotta dashboard then reload?

You can still hold Start and Back for about 3 seconds to make a soft reset to the title screen. Just like on Xbox.

Shenmue is absolutely not the type of game for speed runs (that would be Sonic games) but that's what makes the thing interesting. In Shenmue it actually takes more knowledge of the game and stategy then pure skill. If you know where you can cut time with alternate routes or ignoring things. Glitches are the biggest help, like skipping to disc 2 in the first game. By the way, is there actually any point in Shenmue II where you can effectively skip something with the lock on glitch?

When you want to finish Shenmue II as fast as possible go with the Xbox version. It has slightly shorter load times and you can skip some minor scenes that you can't in the Dreamcast version, like the dart throw of your rival, the jabbering of the street fight attendants and even some of Delins lines while working with him. Overall this would probably save you a couple of minutes in the long run.
Still 3h50m sounds pretty unlikely for Shenmue II.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby STRONG BIRD » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Ohh i didnt know about the soft reset, will thats made the run a lot easier lol, i dont know how quickly im going to complete shenmue 2 but atm im gonna run it quick then set my PB, then go for a lower sub
STRONG BIRD

Postby STRONG BIRD » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Also it seems no matter how quickly i do the wude as soon as i got to go back to man mo temple to get the last one its closed, now what time does it close? and if i cant get there before that time would the invisible glitch work to get passed the closed door to the temple?
STRONG BIRD

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:02 pm

Man Mo Temple's front gate closes at 7 pm and I don't think there's any way to glitch through it.
I believe the game is just ment to play out the wude learning so you can't make it to the temple early enough.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby STRONG BIRD » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm

yeah its not good, but theres a brief pause when you do the iron palm qte, if you go to jianmin early as possible, once you finish the qte theres a pause where the game realises you have finished the qte and it changes the time to 7pm. Now so far i dont know if you can do anything to prevent this in that brief pause but im working on it.

If i cant get to man mo temple and get the last wude that same day then i will be forced to get zhanghus, the martial arts schools and jiamins then go to the pawnshop next to the come over guest house and pawn all the items i have. Next i go to the roll it on top guy round the corner and do the soft reset until i have 1000K then i go to sleep, work for devlin, then go see guixing then to man mo temple and bang thats that out of the way
STRONG BIRD

Return to Shenmue II