Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Sonoshee wrote: I actually felt embarrased to show Shenmue IIx to my friends who have never even played Shenmue. The voice acting is so incredibly cheesy and limp that it ruins the Shenmue II experience as a whole. The Dreamcast versions are the only versions I would show to newcomers. Thankfully having played Shenmue 2 on the DC before IIx I can saftely say I was not damaged by it.

In France, Metal Gear Solid 1 is cult not only because it's still an excellent game but because the French dub is horrific and laughable. Everyone here prefer to replay this version rather the English original. So it's not a total loss. The best kung fu movies have terrible voice acting too after all.

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, OL
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby BlueMue » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 am

Yokosuka wrote:In France, Metal Gear Solid 1 is cult not only because it's still an excellent game but because the French dub is horrific and laughable.

Same situation here in Germany. Michael Hülsmann as Liquid is legendary. :lol:
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:33 am

Yokosuka wrote:In France, Metal Gear Solid 1 is cult not only because it's still an excellent game but because the French dub is horrific and laughable. Everyone here prefer to replay this version rather the English original. So it's not a total loss. The best kung fu movies have terrible voice acting too after all.

It is my personal aesthetic feeling and need to repeat it; playing the Shenmue series with the Japanese voice dubbing, is 1/2 less enjoyable than playing it with the English one. Because it's much more impactful on your feelings, when you can understand the tone, through a language you speak and you can decipher audibly. Otherwise, listening it with the Japanese language, for me everything is very bland and dull.

The only time I appreciated the Japanese dub was on What's Shenmue, when Ryo speaks to Mark and the latter replies full English (that he can't understand Japanese); that was the only time it made an impact and was mind opening, because it gives you a clear impression of Ryo as a Japanese! (because of the contrast of the languages spoken between two people).

I agree that the English dubbing in Shenmue IIx is much inferior to the English dub of Shenmue I. In Shenmue I there is a charm in its cheesiness, and every voice is characteristic and memorable. In Shenmue IIx a lot of the voices sound like being made by the same person trying to make a different voice every time (which sounds many too fake). However, I find Ryo Hazuki's English voice (Corey Marshall's) in Shenmue IIx much better than the one in Shenmue I (the repetitiousness and monotony in the latter is more apparent).
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Amir » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:31 am

shredingskin wrote: It's not just the voice acting of SIIx, it's that a lot of the recordings are badly done, lots of noise and hiss, also varying levels in various takes.

This is apparent in the Japanese dub as well, I notice it most when buying items from Tomato Convenience Store or General Store. The last line of dialogue when picking up the item is much lower quality than the lines before.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Previous

Return to Shenmue II