Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby mrandyk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:24 am

Playing through Shenmue 2x again on my Xbox 360 right now. There are certainly emulation issues here. The music stops very often leaving me in awkward silence running around the city. I opted for the Xbox version because I thought that a dub was a must, but I forgot just how bad the voice acting was in this one. Even Corey seems lackluster compared to the first game. It has probably been 10 years since I played the Dreamcast version, but I have to think the Dreamcast version offers a better experience than the Xbox version (emulated on the Xbox 360 at least).
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:24 am

I just played my Dreamcast copy of Shenmue 2 for about two hours, and now I've switched over to the Xbox version for the advantages. The English dub gets waaaayyy too much flack. In no way is it any worse than Shenmue 1's.

For the record I just finished a play through of Shenmue 1,
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Thief » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:50 am

Master Kyodai wrote: As I said i don't find the voice acting THAT bad, but if you say fang Mei sounds like "An anime school girl" then you simply don't speak japanese at all and have prolly never been there.

No I don't speak Japanese and I don't see why that matters at all. She sounds like generic anime to me -- don't know what to say, I just don't like her performance at all. I've heard enough spoken Japanese to know if I don't like it.

But yeah, I've been to Japan, and anime speak isn't an accurate representation of how people in Japan speak anyway, so I'm not sure why that's at all relevant.

I don't really care if people like the Japanese Fang Mei, but I don't, and vastly prefer the English one.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:56 am

The problem on most japanese dubs are the overreacting of the actors, they put too much emphasis on characterization i mean TOO MUCH, and most times each characer voice gets irritating or being plain bad and generic, like you heard lne girl, you heard them all in their different clases of personality.
Im not saying that all japanese dubs are like this, but an huge enormous part of it are like this, and its made to please fanbases and to impress young audiences. Its a problem that in the 90's were not so spread, nowadays its natural.
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Postby Birty » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:23 am

Crimson Ryan wrote:
johnvivant wrote: please can someone confirm to me whether or not the PAL Shenmue 2x definitely plays in 60hz, if pal 60hz is activated in the xbox video options.
thanks

Regardless you should have that option checked. There's a few cutscenes where the audio and video will be out of sync near the end of the game..

Well when I play in 60Hz with the option checked in my original Xbox setting menu, the audio is out of sync from the opening cut scene, you can hear Ryo walking down the boat steps about 3 seconds before he actually does it. So is it not the other way round, does 50Hz work?
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby PILMAN » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:44 pm

I played shenmue 2 for the first time on release on the original Xbox, however I was playing the game via a coax splitter as I had a old TV that didn't even support composite cables. Even when I had the money to finally use composite, I always noticed shenmue 2 on the Xbox had very muddy graphics specifically the faces and the motion blur during combat. The unnatural bloom at night also made the game sometimes look strange, in terms of the environment, colors were actually pretty decent on the original Xbox.

The only improvements I noticed were Ryos jacket being slightly higher resolution and clearer on the back logo with the tiger, some models did look slightly improved in some areas but most of the faces still have a muddy play dough look to them on the Xbox, water was improved to a degree with waves but the water texture was still pretty ugly, and in other cases, many textures were removed without explanation like some windows, gates, signs, or textures reversed which didn't make any sense, in other cases some additional or different textures were added or modified like some of the doors. I found this strange. I didn't like the shenmue 2 english voice acting, Ryo was fine but otherwise in some cases it was unbearable with some of the extras. It's not that the Xbox version was bad, but in some cases the models look worse especially that play dough face on some characters, I'm also confused why the moon is missing in the Xbox version and why the modifications to joys bike. Some benefits are the better framerate in crowded areas.

Regarding the dreamcast version, I didn't get a chance to play it until 2007, but in my opinion, it is the superior version. While Ryos jacket isn't as nice, I think the textures are more consistent and life like, the Japanese voices I prefer not because I'm a weebo or prefer unrealistic Japanese voices in Hong Kong that I can't understand, but because of the emotion and the original art direction of shenmue II and attachment I have to the voices, they just seem diverse and much more emphasis on the situation occurring, the added textures, and the ability to see what the dreamcast can do is wonderful. Only downside is the number of disks and changing to proceed, and some of the slowdowns. I would much prefer the game on dreamcast or a emulator on my PC.

The Xbox 360 version did significantly improve the game from the original Xbox, but the music was broken when I played it.

To be fair, if it wasn't for the original Xbox, I would have never had a chance to experience shenmue, I had always wanted to play the first game since I heard about it, and I didn't have the money for a dreamcast when it was announced, so naturally hearing that shenmue 2 was coming for the Xbox, I was able to enjoy the game and finally obtain a dreamcast to play the first game.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby punkmanced » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 am

You know what… screw nostalgia. That S2x dub is f*cking awful.
Bunch of masochists you lot are! :)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shibiryo » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:05 am

Personally, the Dreamcast version is the way to go when it comes to playing Shenmue 2. It far surpasses the texture detail and even sound. How they managed to screw a port for a much more greater console in terms of what it was capable of is far beyond me. I mean, how different the two version of Shenmue 2 is quite unusual but suprising. The Japanese dub is immortal. Nothing can quite compete with it and surpass what it delivers.

I ruined myself buying the Xbox version thinking it was any good for the cost of giving off my Drea,cast copy but thanks god I got that back in a working condition.

The only advantage of playing on Xbox is speed, but Dreamcast is appreciable enough in terms of that and the other advantages of the DC version is blatently obvious. Just try playing the two versions at once and interpret which one is more epic and overall, the experience.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Zoltor » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:28 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: I just played my Dreamcast copy of Shenmue 2 for about two hours, and now I've switched over to the Xbox version for the advantages. The English dub gets waaaayyy too much flack. In no way is it any worse than Shenmue 1's.

For the record I just finished a play through of Shenmue 1,

This is so true, omg the kids(both the boys, and girls), and most woman in one, are so bad they'll make your ears bleed(nevermind Tom lol)

Where the kids in 2 are all infinitely better, hell not only that, but Wong's English VA is noticeably better then the Japanese VA.

Also must I point out, that the Japanese VA in general, is nothing to write home about either, just like with the anime industry, the Japanese VA is just ok at best 99.9% of the time, nothing stands out as rememberable, so people really need to stop acting like the Japanese VA is so golden, because the fact is, It's not much better then the English VA over all(atleast in Shenmue 2 anyway, Shenmue 1 is a different story. Lol those kids, and most of the woman VAs are beyond bad), infact the Japanese VA job is about as generic/bland as VA gets.

To Shibiryo: That just proves the DC was a far more powerful console then anything else that gen :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shibiryo » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:39 pm

I mention that the DC is far superior however the Xbox 360 version can look glorious at time. No doubt. I think the English VA can ruin it so if there was an undub on the 360 then damn.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:25 pm

Shenmue 1 dub is hilarious sort of bad. Shenmue II dub is just mediocre outside of Xiuying and Ren. Shenmue 1 is one of the funniest games to play and embodies kung fu film dub cheese. Shenmue II's dub is just bad without any of the charm of 1's dub.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Himuro wrote: Shenmue 1 dub is hilarious sort of bad. Shenmue II dub is just mediocre outside of Xiuying and Ren. Shenmue 1 is one of the funniest games to play and embodies kung fu film dub cheese. Shenmue II's dub is just bad without any of the charm of 1's dub.

Yea, infact I prefer Xuiying, and Ren's English voices over the Japanese voices for them.

For some reason Ren's English VA job reminds me of the VA for Koga in Inuyasha(although they seem to have been done by different people).

Nah, It's just ok at best, which is not much worse then the Japanese VA

The 1st game's English VA is so B movie kind of bad though, yea lol :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:58 pm

It's not just the voice acting of SIIx, it's that a lot of the recordings are badly done, lots of noise and hiss, also varying levels in various takes.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:18 pm

shredingskin wrote: It's not just the voice acting of SIIx, it's that a lot of the recordings are badly done, lots of noise and hiss, also varying levels in various takes.

Yeah... Isin't it so annoying seriously. I feel irritable just walking a few steps next to Joy, thats not right.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:03 pm

I actually felt embarrased to show Shenmue IIx to my friends who have never even played Shenmue. The voice acting is so incredibly cheesy and limp that it ruins the Shenmue II experience as a whole. The Dreamcast versions are the only versions I would show to newcomers. Thankfully having played Shenmue 2 on the DC before IIx I can saftely say I was not damaged by it.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II