Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby BlueMue » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 am

Everyone's repeating what I already wrote here about the game running on the 360. :lol:

I like to add to the subject now that the Xbox version not only changes some textures quite noticeably, it also removes some of them entirely. They made a bunch of mistakes when they changed things wich is just stupid. Even stranger is that it's lacking some objects like signs and support beams here and there and some of the transparent objects have been dumbed down.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xbo ... mcast.html

I never understood many of these changes. Most of them actually make things worse. They can't just be artistic choices. But could they be because they had to maintain overall performance? Removing glass and replacing it with metal seems like it. The Xbox should have no problems with this. Thinking about this now, maybe they had to do this because of problems with the real time shadows and glass?
User avatar
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2008
Location: Germany
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Supa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:44 am

Whoops, you are right. I completely forgot this is the same topic you mentioned that... :(

I'm with you on most of those differences making any sense. Why go back and intentionally change those things? Maybe the next interview the community gets with Yu Suzuki can explain it.
User avatar
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: April 2004
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby south carmain » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Supa wrote:
Ride The Tiger wrote: No. Wish I could though.


Then how do you know they don't suffer from the same "lack of quality" of the English voices?

There's more to language than just words. Not being able to understand words doesn't mean the listener can't understand the emotion and general vibe coming from the speaker which I assume is why many people opt for VOST rather than dubs in their native language. After all the main difference between a good and bad voice actor is how they convey emotion.
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Supa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:18 pm

I know this, but admittedly a big part of the language arts is the language itself. And that doesn't mean someone can understand emotions 10 times out of 10 in a foreign language. Different languages also have different inflections, etc.

I'm sure the Japanese version is fine, but there are so many Japanophiles out there (not just Shenmue fans) that are "foreign language or bust" type folks, who claim it is superior because it is the native language and everything and everybody else is inferior.
User avatar
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: April 2004
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby south carmain » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:12 pm

Supa wrote: I know this, but admittedly a big part of the language arts is the language itself. And that doesn't mean someone can understand emotions 10 times out of 10 in a foreign language. Different languages also have different inflections, etc.

I'm pretty sure basic emotions such as happiness, anger, boredom etc are universal and the subtitles allow to understand the language itself. Japanophiles aside, the reason why so many people prefer the Japanese dubs over the English/Spanish/French ones is because in Japan voice acting is actually taken seriously so the Characters come off a lot less dull than in the west where the voice actors usually aren't that good and the standards tend to be considerably lower. My friends in France for example who watch anime in VO also watch English language shows in VO for the same reason, it has nothing to do with an unhealthy obsession with Japan.
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Supa » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:46 am

It isn't the Japanophiles all of the time, correct. But I still think even though some of the extras are boring, that the main cast is done well. Thus not seeing any reason for people to constantly say it is the worst acted game of all time. Seriously?

I have no problem with preferring one version over the other, but I have seen people who just say "because it's better", with no basis. Which leads me to believe they have no reasoning and just want to be cultured.
User avatar
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: April 2004
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:23 am

Everyone here covered pretty much every reason. Here are my thoughts that I wanted to include:

From a modder stand point, the Xbox Version is superior since we can pull/put files at will and not have to worry about hex editing entire cdis or rebuilding images everytime we need to.

From a Shenmue Veteran standpoint: The Xbox version is censored. It lacks some things that the DC version had.

I love the DC version much much more. But I tend to play the Xbox version more since I keep my Shenmue games locked away in a safe. My 2X is installed to my original xbox and my JTAG 360 xbox's hard drive.
My Youtube Channel With Loads of Shenmue Content!
https://www.youtube.com/lordcanti

--------------SHENMUE 3 MOD TEAM LEADER: THE CHIYOUMEN--------------
Image
User avatar
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff
 
Joined: August 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Supa wrote: It isn't the Japanophiles all of the time, correct. But I still think even though some of the extras are boring, that the main cast is done well. Thus not seeing any reason for people to constantly say it is the worst acted game of all time. Seriously?

I have no problem with preferring one version over the other, but I have seen people who just say "because it's better", with no basis. Which leads me to believe they have no reasoning and just want to be cultured.

Oh yes i get your point. Personally I prefer to play shenmue 2 in English since I got used to Ryo's voice in shenmue 1.
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Ride The Tiger » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:48 pm

south carmain wrote:
Supa wrote: It isn't the Japanophiles all of the time, correct. But I still think even though some of the extras are boring, that the main cast is done well. Thus not seeing any reason for people to constantly say it is the worst acted game of all time. Seriously?

I have no problem with preferring one version over the other, but I have seen people who just say "because it's better", with no basis. Which leads me to believe they have no reasoning and just want to be cultured.

Oh yes i get your point. Personally I prefer to play shenmue 2 in English since I got used to Ryo's voice in shenmue 1.

Ryo's english voice is garbage in Shenmue 2x. Its not the same as in Shenmue 1 because Corey Marshall messed it up by being bored and forced to do the voice acting. One example is when he says damn or ok. So much more enthusiasm is found on the english in Shenmue 1 and japanese in Shenmue 2, not english in Shenmue 2, its horrible. Yes
User avatar
Ride The Tiger
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: September 2014

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby south carmain » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Ride The Tiger wrote:
south carmain wrote:
Supa wrote: It isn't the Japanophiles all of the time, correct. But I still think even though some of the extras are boring, that the main cast is done well. Thus not seeing any reason for people to constantly say it is the worst acted game of all time. Seriously?

I have no problem with preferring one version over the other, but I have seen people who just say "because it's better", with no basis. Which leads me to believe they have no reasoning and just want to be cultured.

Oh yes i get your point. Personally I prefer to play shenmue 2 in English since I got used to Ryo's voice in shenmue 1.

Ryo's english voice is garbage in Shenmue 2x. Its not the same as in Shenmue 1 because Corey Marshall messed it up by being bored and forced to do the voice acting. One example is when he says damn or ok. So much more enthusiasm is found on the english in Shenmue 1 and japanese in Shenmue 2, not english in Shenmue 2, its horrible. Yes

wow thanks for telling me that, you totally changed my personal opinion on the subject.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Supa
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Supa » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:30 pm

Ride The Tiger wrote:
south carmain wrote:
Supa wrote: It isn't the Japanophiles all of the time, correct. But I still think even though some of the extras are boring, that the main cast is done well. Thus not seeing any reason for people to constantly say it is the worst acted game of all time. Seriously?

I have no problem with preferring one version over the other, but I have seen people who just say "because it's better", with no basis. Which leads me to believe they have no reasoning and just want to be cultured.

Oh yes i get your point. Personally I prefer to play shenmue 2 in English since I got used to Ryo's voice in shenmue 1.

Ryo's english voice is garbage in Shenmue 2x. Its not the same as in Shenmue 1 because Corey Marshall messed it up by being bored and forced to do the voice acting. One example is when he says damn or ok. So much more enthusiasm is found on the english in Shenmue 1 and japanese in Shenmue 2, not english in Shenmue 2, its horrible. Yes


If anything, I feel that his voice is more emotive in Shenmue IIx. But to each his own.
User avatar
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: April 2004
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby JMan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Shenmue 2x's acting is 100% cheesefest awesomeness.
User avatar
JMan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: September 2014
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Wuying » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:56 pm

The Xbox was the most powerful console of its generation while the Dreamcast was the weakest, everything looked and played best on the original Xbox from what I remember. I had Shenmue II on both consoles but I ended up selling my Dreamcast version as it was inferior and (for some reason) worth more.

Xbox had better graphics and sound, extra content and perhaps most importantly it didn't stutter when in crowded areas. I prefer having the game in English too so I see no reason to play the Dreamcast version over the Xbox one, especially since the Xbox version is compatible with the 360.
Wuying
Fuku-san
Fuku-san
 
Joined: April 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Supa » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Some argue that the DC had some better technology than the PS2.

Again, I'll defend this until the day I die, JMan. The IIx acting is not that bad.
User avatar
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: April 2004
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:56 am

Wuying wrote:Xbox had better graphics and sound

Graphics are still debateable. I'm not going to repeat yet again what I wrote here earlier about that.
Sound is a definite nope. They messed up some of the music.
User avatar
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2008
Location: Germany
Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net