I've been playing shenmue 2 like shenmue 3!!!!!!!!!!!

(Chapters 3-6)

I've been playing shenmue 2 like shenmue 3!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby b_ren » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:35 pm

Don't know about you but I'm enjoying playing in Guilin alot now i have played it through lots of times the reason for that is it's making think of what shenmue 3's going to be like.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Joe Pesci » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:11 pm

Good idea. I went through all the locations slowly so I could get a fell of what might go on around the towns in Shenmue III
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ecwrvd420 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:10 pm

I did the same The first time I played it I was pissed that u had to go to Guillin but now I love playin in Guillin its nice and realaxing.
ecwrvd420
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:04 pm

i think guillin is boring.all you do is talk and walk.but you learn alot though.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby TaoLishao » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:09 am

Samanosuke Akechi wrote:i think guillin is boring.all you do is talk and walk.but you learn alot though.

but learndening is fun!!
TaoLishao
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:58 am

I was actually thinkin' of doin the same. It's a good way of taming your craving for Shenmue 3 =P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby b_ren » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:58 am

Samanosuke Akechi wrote:i think guillin is boring.all you do is talk and walk.but you learn alot though.
Do you not like looking around in Guilin i think it's like what shenmue 3 will be like.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Silas » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:53 am

God, I hope not!

1) Guilin is the most linear part of the saga so far. There is nothing to do except follow the path.
2) The only exploring you can do is at the village on the river and at Shenhua's house. And that's not terribly rewarding.
3) Before meeting Shenhua you are treated to some nice, differentiated scenery, with the mountains. But there are no alternate paths, and there is no opportunity to run across the grass and take a close look at the river, say.
4) After meeting Shenhua, you don't even have scenery any more - just trees on both sides of the narrow path.
5) The paths you take are all identical - you get the same bushes on either side, the same fallen tree trunk, the same junctions, the same dead ends. Only at cutscene areas does the scenery change a little
6) The running QTEs similarly have none of the variety we've come to expect from Shenmue design. Each A obstacle is like all the other A obstacles. Same with the X ones and the up and down arrows.

It works as the coda to Shenmue II because of the variety and excitement we've experienced in Wan Chai and Kowloon. But as I've said before, it emphatically does not work as a main game in its own right. If Shenmue II ended in Kowloon (as some say it should have done), going to Guilin in Shenmue III would have been a radically different experience. If not, it would have been the biggest let down ever, and it wouldn't be the Shenmue we all know and love.
Do you not like looking around in Guilin i think it's like what shenmue 3 will be like.
"Looking around" - that's all you can do. You can't explore the way you can in the rest of Shenmue, the hallmark in fact of the whole Shenmue experience.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby b_ren » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:51 pm

Silas wrote:God, I hope not!

1) Guilin is the most linear part of the saga so far. There is nothing to do except follow the path.
2) The only exploring you can do is at the village on the river and at Shenhua's house. And that's not terribly rewarding.
3) Before meeting Shenhua you are treated to some nice, differentiated scenery, with the mountains. But there are no alternate paths, and there is no opportunity to run across the grass and take a close look at the river, say.
4) After meeting Shenhua, you don't even have scenery any more - just trees on both sides of the narrow path.
5) The paths you take are all identical - you get the same bushes on either side, the same fallen tree trunk, the same junctions, the same dead ends. Only at cutscene areas does the scenery change a little
6) The running QTEs similarly have none of the variety we've come to expect from Shenmue design. Each A obstacle is like all the other A obstacles. Same with the X ones and the up and down arrows.

It works as the coda to Shenmue II because of the variety and excitement we've experienced in Wan Chai and Kowloon. But as I've said before, it emphatically does not work as a main game in its own right. If Shenmue II ended in Kowloon (as some say it should have done), going to Guilin in Shenmue III would have been a radically different experience. If not, it would have been the biggest let down ever, and it wouldn't be the Shenmue we all know and love.
"Looking around" - that's all you can do. You can't explore the way you can in the rest of Shenmue, the hallmark in fact of the whole Shenmue experience.
yeah but I think shenmue 3 will be alot like this it's only going to be a small village to look around but still very exiting.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:44 am

I'm pretty sure Guilin has cities though. So perhaps it won't be as linear as the walk to Shenhua's house.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Silas » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:39 am

This is my point - it won't be. That's why there's no point in trying to get a flavour of Shenmue III by repeatedly playing the Guilin sequence.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby b_ren » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:00 pm

Silas wrote:This is my point - it won't be. That's why there's no point in trying to get a flavour of Shenmue III by repeatedly playing the Guilin sequence.
Yes but it makes you wonder, no arcades and even mabye having to hunt for your food like set traps.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Daemos » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:35 pm

Miles Prower wrote:I'm pretty sure Guilin has cities though. So perhaps it won't be as linear as the walk to Shenhua's house.

I'd say there are villages. Cities are too big to fit in Guilin.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:58 pm

I think guilin is a good taster for shenmue 3 plot-wise, 'cause you get so much plot info.
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby G~L~E~N » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:22 am

Agreed.
G~L~E~N
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Next

Return to Shenmue II