How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:No, it's actually quite amazing. When you hear Ryo speak, he sounds like a true badass and just perfect. Unlike the Japanese version, where he doesn't sound very "cool". I mean, just compare the opening sequence of Shenmue I where after Ryo has Iwao Hazuki in his arms, he shouts "nooooo" in English compared to "father" in Japanese. Hands down, the English version is clearly superior in this instance.

phpBB [video]

"Ryo, I was planning on using this katana to kill myself. But as you know, Lan Di got me in the end."
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby gillian_seed » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:30 am

BlueMue wrote: They've also been very lazy when bringing the game to the PAL region. Sure it's nice that we naturally got both version but the game is entirely in English. The DC version had the menu, help and notebook text translated into various European languages. Also no 480p support. Of course not.

480p support depends on the console, not on the game. Progresive scan is locked in PAL Xbox console, but you can easily unlock it by hacking the console and play the game at 480p as it was the NTSC version. So, the PAL game does actually include 480p support.

I don't really understand that hate for Xbox version. Some people could disagree on some visual changes like bloom effect or AA filter, but the game is miles away from being a bad port. It includes some nice features and improvements, like improved framerate, shadow quality, reduced popping and faster load times.
Bad English dub is not a big deal for me, since I'm not native, but wasn't original Shenmue's dub a bad one either?
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 am

Y'know whenever I think about the voice acting I just think to myself of all the classic martial arts movies from the 70s that everyone reveres with Bruce Lee and the like. Those dubs are not exactly Shakespearian either! I know video games with a large production budget might have different expectations, but personally it actually adds to the charm for me :)
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 am

the storyline is anything but 70s martial arts, so it's incredibly unfitting.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:08 pm

NeoShredder wrote: Y'know whenever I think about the voice acting I just think to myself of all the classic martial arts movies from the 70s that everyone reveres with Bruce Lee and the like. Those dubs are not exactly Shakespearian either! I know video games with a large production budget might have different expectations, but personally it actually adds to the charm for me :)

The quality itself is perfect and completely suits Shenmue. It's like I've said before, everyone just sounds "right". But judging from this forum, it seems like I'm in the minority. Which is fine, since that means I have a unique taste!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:40 pm

punkmanced wrote:Shenmue’s voice acting is legendary…in terms of being shit.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is better
The Room is better.

I feel sorry for all the Xbox owners who had to endure something which warped their experience completely. At least DC owners got a taste of the good stuff when importing Shenmue 2 EU ;)

Whatever…let’s just hope part 3 gives access to both languages on disc…

SOTN has better VA than Shenmue II? I want some of what you’re smoking.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:11 am

I thought Dracula actually had alright voice acting in SOTN lol
BlueCreeperBoy12

Postby gillian_seed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:48 am

I started another run of Shenmue 2X yesterday, and I think is not as bad as many people say. I compared both versions and the Xbox one is not as blurry as the Youtube videos show. Using a third party Xbox YPbPr cable and adjusting sharpness in my TV it looks really crisp. Try it. On the other hand, it has better performance, shorter loading times, no popping, better water effect, etc. It's, actually, a fantastic way of enjoying Shenmue II.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm

gillian_seed wrote: I started another run of Shenmue 2X yesterday, and I think is not as bad as many people say. I compared both versions and the Xbox one is not as blurry as the Youtube videos show. Using a third party Xbox YPbPr cable and adjusting sharpness in my TV it looks really crisp. Try it. On the other hand, it has better performance, shorter loading times, no popping, better water effect, etc. It's, actually, a fantastic way of enjoying Shenmue II.

I use a 480p wide-screen mod on my Xbox and it works beautifully.

BlueCreeperBoy12 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
BlueCreeperBoy12

Postby Brian SII DC vs Xbox » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Personally, I never really liked the Xbox version. In fact, there are a lot of little inferiorities in the Xbox version, as you can see here: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xboxvsdreamcast.html
I think those are in there because they didn't use the final version of the game for the Xbox port but some earlier built.

Also, I don't know how to describe it, but the colors look better and the graphics look a lot more "crisp" in the DC version.

Anyway, DC PAL version at 60 Hz is the way to go with S2 in my opinion.

It's always nice to see people linking to all of my hard work. I just wish the nice folks at the Dojo would credit us as Park Productions on that page so people would know.
Brian SII DC vs Xbox
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:26 pm

drunkensailor wrote: the storyline is anything but 70s martial arts, so it's incredibly unfitting.

"Anything but"?
Eh... I wouldn't say that.
The story is basically "martial arts badass killed my father, now I seek revenge." That's literally about 90% of 70s kung fu plots.

(I know I'm way late in replying to that, but I haven't looked at this topic in a while)

OL has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:19 pm

I don't know about that 70s martial arts film thing. Can you name any halway famous 70s martial arts film with a "revenge fahter's death" story without opening imdb or Google? The only thing which is remotely similar I can think of right now is Fist of Fury but that's his teacher, not his father who gets killed and Bruce Lee learns about that fact halfway through the film. And he's poisoned, not killed while fighting.

Also, I don't think Shenmue is a simple revenge story. It starts off as one but as the plot evolves, whith the introduction of characters such as Xiuying, Ren and Shenhue it evolves into so much more depth.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Abraham_1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 am

What annoys me is that because only the Xbox version was available outside of Japan and Europe, Shenmue II received lower review scores from certain places than it could have gotten had the Dreamcast version also have been available. For example, IGN gave the original Shenmue a 9.7; however, it gave Shenmue 2 an 8.3, basing it on the Xbox version.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm

IMO in the modern day im happy we have Shenmue 2 on two consoles instead of 1
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 am

I can’t understand how people can prefer the English dub to the Japanese one, they are like 3-4 levels of professionalism away from each other.

Ren sounds as vicious as he really is, Xiuying sounds like a proper Master, Dou Niu, etc. etc.

The English voices sound like a bad parody, but I guess people will just prefer whatever version they played back in the early 2000’s.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II