Shenmue arcade. Why am I so fucking bad at Outrun?

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue arcade. Why am I so fucking bad at Outrun?

Postby dietsoap » Thu May 03, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm serious, I'm so bad at Outrun it just amazes me. Anyone have any tips? I've literally never gotten to a second checkpoint (though I've gotten very close several times). I've also never beaten Hang-On, though I'm at least a little better at that one.

*Moved thread again to Shenmue II board*
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue arcade. Why am I so fucking bad at Outrun?

Postby KidMarine » Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm

You shifting to high gear?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Niowiad » Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 pm

:rotflmao:

What are you using? the analog stick? the d-pad?
Just a coincidence I've been playing OutRun online arcade less than a week ago, with the 360 analog stick, it was legit pain. I used to have a steering wheel... night and day, as far as I'm concerned.

Have you tried looking at gameplay vids of people making high scores?
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu May 03, 2018 4:49 pm

use high gear and brake or let go of the accelarator on every corner

i've never gotten to the end, but I get fairly far in yakuza 0
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Superrayman3 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:34 pm

dietsoap wrote: I'm serious, I'm so bad at Outrun it just amazes me. Anyone have any tips? I've literally never gotten to a second checkpoint (though I've gotten very close several times). I've also never beaten Hang-On, though I'm at least a little better at that one.

Are you playing the DC version and if so are you using the analogue stick or the d-pad to play OutRun, the reason I ask is because if memory serves me right games like Hang-On and Outrun control horribly with a d-pad due to extremely loose centering compared to the analogue stick, Space Harrier doesn't have such a issue with the d-pad however, and can't remember how Afterburner II behaved when it comes to the d-pad.
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby Centrale » Thu May 03, 2018 5:42 pm

Niowiad wrote:Just a coincidence I've been playing OutRun online arcade less than a week ago, with the 360 analog stick, it was legit pain.

I love Outrun 2, Coast to Coast, and Online Arcade. Pretty much the only games where I've been able to get into the top 30 in the world leaderboards. Try this when using a controller: Instead of letting the analog stick re-center and pushing it left and right to steer, try holding the analog stick up to the 12 o'clock position constantly and just use small clockwise and anticlockwise movements to turn (11:00 to 1:00, for example).

Centrale has received a thanks from: Niowiad
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Niowiad » Fri May 04, 2018 9:50 am

Centrale wrote:
Niowiad wrote:Just a coincidence I've been playing OutRun online arcade less than a week ago, with the 360 analog stick, it was legit pain.

I love Outrun 2, Coast to Coast, and Online Arcade. Pretty much the only games where I've been able to get into the top 30 in the world leaderboards. Try this when using a controller: Instead of letting the analog stick re-center and pushing it left and right to steer, try holding the analog stick up to the 12 o'clock position constantly and just use small clockwise and anticlockwise movements to turn (11:00 to 1:00, for example).

Well that truly makes a lot of sense, never thought about it whenever I was not using the steering wheel.
Thanks for the tip.

Hope it can help the OP as well. :king:
Niowiad

Postby dietsoap » Sat May 05, 2018 5:20 pm

KidMarine wrote: You shifting to high gear?

real cheeky m8! Haha but yeah, I am.

Niowiad wrote: :rotflmao:

What are you using? the analog stick? the d-pad?
Just a coincidence I've been playing OutRun online arcade less than a week ago, with the 360 analog stick, it was legit pain. I used to have a steering wheel... night and day, as far as I'm concerned.

Have you tried looking at gameplay vids of people making high scores?

I mostly play on d-pad. Every once in a while I try the analog and get all wigged out, end up going back to the d-pad almost immediately. I bet Outrun is a blast with a wheel, though. One of these days when I'm not so poor I'd like to buy a good one.

mjq jazz bar wrote: use high gear and brake or let go of the accelarator on every corner

i've never gotten to the end, but I get fairly far in yakuza 0

I haven't used the brake at all, but becoming more comfortable with letting off the throttle in spots has helped me a ton. Learning when to use the brake and just becoming more familiar with the layout in general will hopefully get me to the end one day.

Superrayman3 wrote:
dietsoap wrote: I'm serious, I'm so bad at Outrun it just amazes me. Anyone have any tips? I've literally never gotten to a second checkpoint (though I've gotten very close several times). I've also never beaten Hang-On, though I'm at least a little better at that one.

Are you playing the DC version and if so are you using the analogue stick or the d-pad to play OutRun, the reason I ask is because if memory serves me right games like Hang-On and Outrun control horribly with a d-pad due to extremely loose centering compared to the analogue stick, Space Harrier doesn't have such a issue with the d-pad however, and can't remember how Afterburner II behaved when it comes to the d-pad.

Actually, I've been playing it on Yakuza 0 like the other guy in here. I had to bust it out when Shenmue HD was announced! Satisfies some of that Shenmue-esque craving I've got from all the hype while still leaving Shenmue itself relatively fresh when I finally get to replay it in the HD collection.

Centrale wrote: I love Outrun 2, Coast to Coast, and Online Arcade. Pretty much the only games where I've been able to get into the top 30 in the world leaderboards. Try this when using a controller: Instead of letting the analog stick re-center and pushing it left and right to steer, try holding the analog stick up to the 12 o'clock position constantly and just use small clockwise and anticlockwise movements to turn (11:00 to 1:00, for example).

This is exactly how I play Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, which unlike Outrun, I like to think I'm pretty dang good at. :P I probably need to stick with analogue for a little longer then, I just feel like I don't have that level of accuracy on any analogue other than the DC one.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 am

Since Outrun can only be played in Shenmue II this topic has been moved again. Not to mess with others work, but since its so specific things should be right, right?

Anyway Outrun is definately just hard to beat, only thing that helps is practice and reflexed.
Then again so are the other arcade games. It's the way they were designed after all.
Outrun is at least very much beatable, technically a little easier than Hang-On and definately a hell of a lot more doable than Space Harrier and Afterburner.

Steering with the analog stick is definately the better option as the car reacts quicker. Always drive left at the forks to go along the easy route. Try to avoid the traffic as much without slowing down as possible. Remember wich corners can be taken at full speed and where you have to brake. That's basically it, though it definately sounds much easier than it actually is. Good luck!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Thu May 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Farthest I got was 1 away from the end and that was on 'mue II. Yakuza 0 I got to 2 away from the end and it took me a while to realise that I should go left and not right and the forks...

Another reason why I love Yu's arcade titles: they are difficult and frustrating like all arcade games are supposed to be, but there isn't an impossibility factor (something that is a gamebreaker) in them.
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Return to Shenmue II