Shenmue City Announced

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: New Shenmue game announced [not for consoles]

Postby Supa » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:57 pm

Clint wrote:funny how everyone immediately comes back to the forums to join in the parade.

Henry Spencer wrote:Uhhh, a lot of you aren't reading the news properly. Go check the links on the net again, this time, closely. This isn't even a mobile game, it's an online service only available in Japan/certain regions of Asia. That means you won't get to play it.

Hate to say it but Dorian and Without Remorse are both right, it shows that SEGA don't care about the IP, at all. A lot of misinterpretation going on here, blind optimism etc.

You're like a broken record you these days.

No one is going to inject the money needed in an old series like Shenmue without getting some sort of media/fan response.

It's not what we want, but atleast it's something. I'm actually suprised SEGA have bothered to do anything with the franchise. That, to me, sounds like they haven't completely given up on the project.

Agreed. But bitchers will still bitch. We got a huge fan service by having Ryo in ASR and people still bitched. Why?

It's not what we want, but maybe they're drumming interest for, if nothing else, an online rerelease of the first game(s). Better than nothing? I think so.

Years of nothing, then we get Ryo playable in ASR and DLC to go with it, and now Shenmue City.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Without Remorse » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Clint wrote:
It's not what we want, but atleast it's something.

Something you cannot play, unless you live in asia.
Something is what took place with the racing game. Most of us supported the hell out of that by buying the game, buying shenmue dlc, and buying an avatar jacket just to show support. And I appreciate what Sumo did for us, as it was pure fan service. I still play the game on occasion, just to log in a few laps as Ryo.

This is a "game" we might , at most, get to see youtube videos of if it gets released. We fans have bugged the piss out of them nonstop for years, with absolutely no information one way or the other as to whether the series would ever be finished. That is why some of us are angry "bandwaggoners" or "bitchers", that the first game with Shenmue in the title since 2, will be something we cannot support even if we want to. If they want to drum up interest, they should be doing it also in the region of the world where a select group of people still give a shit about Shenmue.

BTW I WILL buy this if there is a way, as I will do anything to support shenmue, but from everything I have read it won't work outside of the region it is released in. I really hope something positive happens because of this, but the industry is hurting so bad, that its hard to think that any result of this endeavor will make Sega's financial decision makers greenlight the end of the story. It just seems to be a way to squeeze a few more dollars out while they still can. Please let me be wrong.
Without Remorse
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: W1TH0UT REMORSE
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Super Meat Boy

Postby krizzex » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Oh, I didn't noticed this here. There is no name in the title.
krizzex
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby cApNhOwDy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:51 pm

I mean, Sega's making Phantasy Star Online 2, so I have more faith in them now than I have for the past few years. I hope they don't fuck it up the way they did with Phantasy Star Universe. I would rather stick my dick in an blender than experience that hellhole of a game again.

And with these Dreamcast games getting re-released on XBL, I wouldn't be surprised if we got news regarding some Shenmue DLC at some point relatively soon.
cApNhOwDy
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Brothaman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:10 pm

shenhua legend wrote:http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/07/new_shenmue/

](*,) ](*,) go to hell sega.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap5Sw3xsZhU[/youtube]

#-o
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby alimn » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:14 pm

The fact that during these a few hours, since the announcement...
we have had this much discussion after keeping silent in some ways and some parts
is really turning me ON.

This news, cool or not, now is among the top ranked ones, on andriasang (as one of the best,
perhaps...the only best J gaming news for outside Japan) and other web sites,
SEGA are watching, SAMMY is thinking!

To me, since Yakuza series, are about finally coming to an end,
SEGA is finally warming up, with such actions and necessary steps,
and there is no doubt that the pre-production for next real Shenmue game is done
since that KIKIZO article....

When they gave us Ryo I was positive, no matter on which game!, they even gave people forklifts and PSN/XBLA stuff.
now I am pretty positive...Yahoo Japan and stuff like that shouldn't get treated lightly...
since they are JAPAN only.

Of course we all want a damn real console game, but...this is SEGA-SAMMY we are talking about not our old SEGA!
so, even stuff like this are cool to me.

I am looking forward, Kiyuu's info and comments, people from Japan.

I have never been to Japan but at least I can understand that
Mobagetown is huge and +Yahoo Japan(which is really popular)=Yahoo! Mobage which is a PC-based social games
is gonna work and I am looking forward to see "Shenmue City" news on the first page of Dojo,
SEGA has an eye on this site.

Best Regards, Ali M.N
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Gingefners, The » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 pm

alimn wrote:The fact that during these a few hours, since the announcement...
we have had this much discussion after keeping silent in some ways and some parts
is really turning me ON.

Careful saying that with Dorian around... I keed, I keed. You're good peoples.

I guess it's kinda cool the name is still going to live, but I haven't cared about the series in any way for a few years now, sadly.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby OL » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:31 pm

alimn wrote:To me, since Yakuza series, are about finally coming to an end,

Ha.
Um, yeah, no it's not.

Am I the only one here who's really only checking this topic out because of some kind of weird feeling of obligation?
I'm not mad about it, and I'm not happy either. It's one big neutral "oh, okay".
I just... don't care. At all.
It doesn't feel like this is beneficial to our chances of another Shenmue, and it doesn't feel like it might be damaging to it either. I want Shenmue 3, of course, but this particular development feels entirely inconsequential.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:59 pm

OL wrote:
alimn wrote:To me, since Yakuza series, are about finally coming to an end,

Ha.
Um, yeah, no it's not.

Am I the only one here who's really only checking this topic out because of some kind of weird feeling of obligation?
I'm not mad about it, and I'm not happy either. It's one big neutral "oh, okay".
I just... don't care. At all.
It doesn't feel like this is beneficial to our chances of another Shenmue, and it doesn't feel like it might be damaging to it either. I want Shenmue 3, of course, but this particular development feels entirely inconsequential.

We rarely disagree and this is just another me quoting your post to agree.
So since that makes the post boring I will add I'm having a big cookie and chocolate milk right now.
Now I just need a cartoon to watch,old X men ones are on so guess i will watch that. :spinnn:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby alimn » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:27 am

Shenmue Team's has been always around,
a part of it at AM2 tuning VF's fighting gameplay, porting arcades to XBLA and PSN, also Wii,
and since Yakuza 3, a bigger part of it working on Yakuza 3, 4 and ...for PS3,
YS's dept "AM PLUS" had also a game "SEGA RACE TV" which I actually tried and enjoyed it, as a pure fun racing game....
and I wish it makes it's way like the way "After Burner" did.

Suzuki san has always been around,
he is a symbol of Japanese gaming next to Miyamoto,
he has been always around at TGS and etc,
however for some unknown reasons he was not in spot light
during last years...and those reasons are what we must be careful

Even Yuji Naka after he formed Prope was not around,
but look at him now...he is already about to announce his new HD game.
(anyone tried let's tap or IVY the kiwi?)

Anyway, since the first day I saw Ryu Ga Gotoku aka Yakuza,
I believed that this game is connected to Shenmue,
more we saw, more we believed, and in fact it's prototype stuff and concepts
all are coming from Shenmue, now, it's time for Yakuza to become Shenmue's
key to success.

Of course, Yakuza OF THE END won't be the end for that franchise,
but as of now, in just a few years they have made so many Yakuza games,
the Shenmue's team now have much more experience to deliver a major Shenmue title
since the third Yakuza game it is finally finding it's place among western gamers
and THE END which will make it's way around 2012 and
of course, it's already a symbol in Japan,...Yakuza PSP is already a HIT in Japan.

Shenmue was popular in US but not in Japan,(and got even more popular after DC's death)
Yakuza was popular in Japan but not in US,

Yakuza Of The End is going to fix that, it's a risky step...adding Zombies to Yakuza!
but it's for the sake of west...

Now, Shenmue on Yahoo JP?
that's another risk...which needs to be taken...in order to fix Shenmue's place...

Silly or not,...Zombie in Yakuza is silly, this one also silly...but SEGA-SAMMY is a business
company before anything else, different markets, different strategies.

At least we have Shenmue's name around again which gives life to our forums,
and we can meet again, whatever it's pain or headache or happiness,
it's cool...

Now let's think about next steps?
Shenmue iPod and iPhone?
Shenmue 3DS (Dual Screen and 3DS's DC like graphics is more than enough for a Shenmue title)

Shenmue Town or Shenmue City or whatever now is in headlines, and hope SEGA are watching western gamer's comments!
these comments have more effect than all the petitions we have been doing and ...so, let's keep the hype and word alive...

I am sure that even stuff like this can lead us to Shenmue,
come on SEGA!, the Shenmue Team is bored!

Shenmue is already in head lines, hot spots and boards!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ocial-Game

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/1 ... w_shenmue/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3084 ... ervice.php

http://n4g.com/news/621072/shenmue-goes ... ervice/com

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sega-annou ... enmue-city

^And these are already a few head lines.

We have to be glad for it's presence,
whatever it's a 3HD motion compatible game or a piece of social software...

I already have a YAHOO JAPAN ID,
does anyone knows if we can play their stuff if we know Japanese?

Best Regards, Ali M.N
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby HappyKillmore » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:58 am

Fandabydozy! Where do i sign up?
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:29 am

Yahoo! Mobage has just started its service, and I don't know how it's really like.
All I know is you can download the games for free, but have to pay for the items by "Yahoo! Wallet."

Famitsu calls "Shenmue Town/City" a new game of the Shenmue series, and the story of the series
continues in the game:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201010/07034495.html

I have no idea how anyone can tell the story of a saga in such a simple game, but SEGA may want to
make it the simplified version of "Shenmue Online," I suppose.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Dorian » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:19 am

Finally a info from Kiyuu... Sad it's such a bad info.

If Shenmue's story continues in this Yahoo game, then it's all the more unlikely we will see Shenmue III. I guess SEGA sees this as an opportunity to shut up all Shenmue fans wanting to see the story's ending. But what excitement can this possibly sparkle? This will probably be a 2D web browser-based chatroom. It will probably end with all fans reading some stupid Shenmue Town/City wikia for story spoilers...

I am so sad. I was playing Shenmue II the other day and when the scene with Shenhua reciting her poem started, I nearly cried because I knew we will never see the real unfolding of this magnificent saga.

I HATE YOU, SEGA! GO TO HELL!
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:25 am

Axm wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:
Axm wrote:Hey! Lets just ride this franchise into the ground and tease Shenmue fans to death.
Thats basically whats going on here. Sega know's theirs a demand for Shenmue out there but they also know its not a financially safe move to make a real game out of it. Atleast thats what they think. Even though its wrong.
We all know it would make money these days. They obviously just dont see that.

:lol:

Thats funny why? You dont think a Shenmue remake or 3 would make any money these days? In an industry with stuff like Yakuza, Heavy Rain, other open RPG's etc. I think theirs a much bigger crowd of gamers that would be more receptive to a game like Shenmue if remade properly on any of the major systems. And to me, Sega is missing out on a great opportunity in doing Shenmue right again.
Thats what I was trying to say if you didnt get it.
Unless you believe otherwise.

Yakuza only does well in Japan for starters. The whole reason we didn't get the third game for so long was because they didn't think it would sell enough. Heavy Rain only sold because it got advertised like mad. Any game can sell if there is enough promotion.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby BlueMue » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:56 am

PLEASE don't tell me that this "game" is going to continue the story. That makes it even worse!
Just thinking about watching youtube videos of a silly minigame that we can't even really understand finally finishing of our beloved and greatest story ever... makes me sick. Seriously, it makes me feel REALLY bad right now.

Maybe I just have to wait until some pictures and real gameplay infos surface but right now all I have for this is anger and frustration.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates