Retro Gamer : The Making of Shenmue

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Retro Gamer : The Making of Shenmue

Postby Yama » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:57 pm

UK based gaming magazine, Retro Gamer, has published an article regarding the creation of Shenmue. The magazine has hit stands as of June 24th, 2010. As a special surprise, the article mentions our very own Shenmue Dojo!

Click header image to view the article. You can also track all of our upcoming features and articles under the extras section > 2010+, or by clicking here.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Retro Gamer : The Making of Shenmue

Postby Ziming » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:27 am

Fantastic article! Thanks to "The Great Chai" for providing the scans and another one to Retro Gamer for mentioning Shenmue Dojo! 8)
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:48 am

I travelled quite a way to get this magazine and it was totally worth it! A great insight into Shenmue, and actually a great issue in general with articles on the rise of Lara Croft, and the Atari 5800! Definately worth a buy!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby The Grrreat Chai » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:31 am

Hope you liked the scans ;) I highly recommend the magazine by the way, if you can find it!
The Grrreat Chai
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Dragon Age II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:37 am

Peter wrote:I travelled quite a way to get this magazine and it was totally worth it! A great insight into Shenmue, and actually a great issue in general with articles on the rise of Lara Croft, and the Atari 5800! Definately worth a buy!

I generally bought it for Shenmue, but I grew up with Tomb Raider so I can't wait to read it..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:07 pm

The Grrreat Chai wrote:Hope you liked the scans ;) I highly recommend the magazine by the way, if you can find it!

Don't forget his youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroGamerDaz
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ys » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks a lot for the scans! It's interesting that an interview like that pops up now all of a sudden. I'm going to see if I can get a hold of the magazine itself somehow. Just to have it myself since I did buy a few gaming magazines before through with Shenmue articles in it. For collectors purposes ;) I'm off to read this now though.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Wow great article! Easily one of the best if not thee best in years since the Shenmue 2 xbox era.
The reporter obviously went through pain staking research in creating this article and making sure not to miss out on any vital facts. He even mentions Shenmue Dojo and how much the fans have been through.
Amazing article. And its along time coming for someone to spend the time to write this.
We should all try and contact this writer and send a thank you email for doing such a great job.

Can someone who has the magazine find his name and contact information? I dont see his name in the scans unless im missing it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:14 pm

The article is the work of Cole Machin, a regular contributor to the retro gamer magazine. He can be contacted through the companys email: [email protected]

Also for any US members who want to own a copy of the magazine but dont want to pay the huge subscription fees, they are available in the shops Boarders and also Barnes and Noble. Hope you guys live near one so you can pick up a copy!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah I always read it at barnes but they want 15$ or sometimes more for it. I can buy real books at that price at the bargin section.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Peter wrote:The article is the work of Cole Machin, a regular contributor to the retro gamer magazine. He can be contacted through the companys email: [email protected]

Also for any US members who want to own a copy of the magazine but dont want to pay the huge subscription fees, they are available in the shops Boarders and also Barnes and Noble. Hope you guys live near one so you can pick up a copy!

Thanks Peter!
Im gonna email him now and go get a copy for myself. :)

I wouldnt want to be crazy or anything by saying "All Shenmue fans should go out and buy it" but there you go.. I just said it. So get it if you can guys! If only to pay your respects to the magazine and writer.

Update:

Ive emailed retrogamer and Cole with the following email.
To whom it may concern,

Mr. Cole Machin has recently wrote a Shenmue article in the June/July issue of retro gamer. I would like to extend a warm thank you to him personally from both myself and the general Shenmue Dojo community (shenmuedojo.net)

We would like to thank him for two reasons.
Firstly for taking the time to do great research on such a convoluted and complicated piece of gaming history. The level of detail expressed in his article is by far the most impressive show of concern and respect the Shenmue community has seen in a very long time.
Secondly, for mentioning the Shenmue Dojo and its role in the series and gaming community. We respect Mr. Machin for recognizing the community and what we have been through in the years since the absence of the Shenmue name in the gaming industry.
We all hope this article reaches the most amount of readers possible so they can learn more about the series.

Again, a big thank you to both Cole and the entire Retro Gamer staff for releasing such great material.

Please feel free to drop by shenmuedojo.net/forums anytime as you will always be welcomed.

-Alexander

Hopefully this gets through to him or someone that can make a response that our thank you has been noticed.
I was trying to write an email representing us all so hopefully I did a good job. If anyone else would like to email him aswell I think that would be a great thing to do.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Wouldn't at all be surprised if Mr. Machin was a member here at one time or another. :D
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:13 pm

Thats great Axm! Im sure he will smile when he reads it. It was great to hear the Shenmue Dojo mentioned in the magazine also! Made me feel a little bit special both as a gamer, and as a member of this site! :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Wouldn't at all be surprised if Mr. Machin was a member here at one time or another. :D

Your brother?
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:06 am

Oh, shut up about my brother already! 8-[
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666