Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Re: The New Shenmue Dojo

Postby LawXiu » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:46 am

Ziming wrote:When I was in charge I was pretty lax with forum rules but that's going to change under Yama's watch. He brings a vast amount of experience with him and that's also one of the reasons I've gave him the site. It's time for Shenmue Dojo to take on a new direction and I hope you will support him.

Unfortunately it's the wrong direction in my eyes. Yes it's nice to get a fresh look to the place but I've just read the new rules and now it's no different to any other forum on the net which is not good. I loved the lax atmosphere and is one of the reasons I've posted here for so long. It appears Yama cares more about getting new members than the old vets. We're not even aloud to use colourfull language anymore.

When you build a forum you build it for the community and that community should have a say in how it's run or looks. It's obvious Yama has taken this place for his own as he as "Shenmuse Dojo Owner" under his name. When Ryudo made little changes as admin he tried his hardest to keep everyone happy and answered to all criticism and corrected the problems which brings me to my next point.

Why is Ryudo not admin anymore? He has been demoted to mod for what reason? In fact the management structure is a complete mess. Sean and Shendream are on the mods list when together they don't even come close to having a hundred posts. Mr Rod is admin but he's never played Shenmue before. I feel sorry for Ryudo, he's just bent over and had his job taken by people who are obviously just Yama's friends. As for the new rules MK should be ashamed of himself for writing them out, he was just as bad as the rest of us.

I
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:26 am

Ziming wrote:As the former webmaster to this site I am completely happy with the changes Yama has done. This fan site was really in dire need of a change and Yama has accomplished that in my opinion. I'll still be around to support the site as a contributor with various multimedia and news if it comes to that. Now let me make myself clear in that I'll have no say in what happens in the forums from this point on. When I was in charge I was pretty lax with forum rules but that's going to change under Yama's watch. He brings a vast amount of experience with him and that's also one of the reasons I've gave him the site. It's time for Shenmue Dojo to take on a new direction and I hope you will support him.

Btw everyone I've shown this design today and everyone is amazed at the fresh new look of the place. Even on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJUGgM8OTWE

yes the changes are excellent imo. Anyone not happy about it needs to get a grip imo. Would you rather the site stagnate and lose the last bit of Shenmue we have left?

as for people being promoted, demoted, not liking the layout, bitching at forum rules.. etc etc.. we should just be happy we have a modern, clean and well maintained place to discuss Shenmue. There are far more popular games out there that also died a death which have no such place..

Keep up the good work.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Oppy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:58 am

I do agree with Law. I find it somewhat sad that Ryudo gets stripped of his admin title, He is one of the biggest contributers this site has ever seen, and has done an awesome job at keeping it cozy for us. With the rules, you cant expect all the members here to change their posting habbits. Like Law said, if Yama and the mods knuckle down here and enforce these rules like forum-police, then this forum is going to be no different to any other gaming forum. The freedom to piss-fart around and laugh at tongue in cheek insults are things that make the Dojo fun.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:17 am

I'll just simply act the way I always have even if that get's me banned.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby LawXiu » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:29 am

Same here, we've been this way for a long time and if it changes the dojo will loose most of it's charm.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby b_ren » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:33 am

Looks pretty cool. This place was beyond dead anyway so a change like this is good in my eyes! :D
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:44 am

I shall be your Che Guevara.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:58 am

Anything new will be looked after. Its just the way of it. I dont think there were any major rule breakers here anyways, so even though there may be a tightening of belts, we have staff here who know the members and their personalities. This place will be fine, and hopefully an indication of whats to come on Shenmue news. :)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:01 am

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I do think change was inevitable when the keys to the door were exchanged. I wouldn't worry about getting warnings, I think the warnings will only get issued when things start to get heated in topics, cursing being used excessively and whatnot, not really when they're in jest. Regardless though, at least give them a chance first, before judging. Lets see how things turn out, guys.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kyoji » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:14 am

Personal preference and all, but I can't stand the new layout. Not to say that it's not nice, because it is great, but... I'll just never be able to get used to it. :/

Also, if this means the old atmosphere is gone, I won't even lurk here as much. (No offense to the new management. :V)
Kyoji
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby ys » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Ryudo wrote:Ziming let me just say. Thank you. You did alot over the years and while I know when you took over things started rough but you did a great job over the long haul.
The changes now are tough for some of course to take in but we all know it works for the best.
Thanks again Ziming.
:D

Yeah, I remember the controversy around that time. It was quite an active period for the whole community to say the least.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:09 pm

It was a good ride. Definately offer thanks up to Hellraiser!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Number one, did I write the TOS? Why is this all on me? I seem to see Kyodai and we're all on the same page as far as moderators go. I'll make it public... Zim/Hell was quite displeased with how the forum turned out, he just wasn't a forum guy and didn't know how to buckle down. He wanted this new direction and wanted me to lead it. Dislike it? Not my fault, it's more or less something I was asked to do, as a favor for the sake of the site. The site is not here because five people like to dork around now in 2010, it's here because of it's old efforts back in the day, when it meant something to the SHENMUE community. That is where it's going back to.

Ryudo is not demoted in any way, ask him yourself. I've ran most everything by him, out of respect for his time here. As if it's any of your business anyway, he has all the privlages he had before. If he has any complaint or wants a different title, so be it, he can have it. But let's let him request for that, not anyone else. As it is, he felt bad about how half of this went down, not because a few people can't throw around the f-bomb, cause legit efforts were being squashed by only a select few.

And lastly, that TOS is pretty tight. It's also not something I haven't seen elsewhere. But really, we're all (supposed to be) mature here. If someone throws around expletives here or there, I doubt their going to be banned. Nobody here is a tight ass, seriously. Just trying to move fwd while covering ourselves in the process. No vet is being banned because he called a bad game shit, or anything of that nature. It is however frowned upon and if you are going around without respect and constantly doing it, then yeah, maybe something would be said. I mean, just play it by ear. Surely people have enough smarts on how to bend, but not break the rules. Not like I'm encouraging it, but it's like I have to think for some of you so you don't have a hissy fit. Juvenile. If the mods, former admins and even former owner want this, who am I to say no? I came here to do what a lot of them wanted from the beginning, not make my own site.

As Ryudo himself said, relax, chill, everything will be fine. Keep being dramatic over nothing and it'll go to hell. Be cool about it and you'll be on the best Shen site there is.

The freedom to piss-fart around and laugh at tongue in cheek insults are things that make the Dojo fun.

Continue to do so, nothing like that is changing. If it were the Junk forum wouldn't be here anymore. Just making the site more applicable to gaming press standards, as in it'll benefit from it.

I still find it sad that there is a new gallery with FOUR THOUSAND images that Hellraiser, Kyodai and myself put together, yet a very select few care more about mundane b.s. Are these even Shenmue fans? It's a place that can be looked up to regarding Shenmue and a place to kick back and relax, we want the best of both worlds. The name of the site however is Shenmue Dojo, no matter how old the series is, and we're going to center around Shenmue. As of late that part way slipping away and if anything, that is the part that needs to remain. It's not like we are a random forum without a website, we have a ton of Shenmue information and media, the most on the internet. This is our focal point, the rest is fun and will remain. Just relax, lol. Not talking about this subject anymore, everything is changing for the better.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Im confused. Have i missed some big argument or something? Its the first full day for the new dojo and there seems to be all this negative talk, both in this topic and also in the "thus the dojo begins" topic. Whats going on?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates