Shenmue City Announced

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue City Announced

Postby dubkor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am

I get a lot of why this is going on, certainly the money just isn't there for a huge 360 or PS3 release. Shenmue City could actually make some money and all that.

What I don't get is why, if the intention with this was to continue with the story or to drum up interest why they would not have made a single additional Shenmue chapter for the Indie channel on XBox Live? XNA may not be a total powerhouse, but certainly it has to allow you more freedom than a mobile social networking service. The 150MB limit would also be pressing, but a single chapter could likely have fit. I personally think sales from that would have been huge, even if the graphics weren't updated a single bit from the Dreamcast era. I think that would have proven more the viability of continuing the series much more so than Shenmue City.

Lets not get too up in arms over this, though. Shenmue has seen a TON of coverage in the last year. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, Shenmue City could actually be all about raising hype. Google it, look at how many major sites are carrying the news. It's definately created a buzz... More so than you'd expect from this type of game.
dubkor
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mue 26 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:07 am

disbeliever wrote:I'm following these forums since over 6 years now but never actually felt the need to register until now...

3 days ago I asked Takenobu Mitsuyoshi ( the creator of the amazing Shenmue music theme) a question :

So he's not involved, but looks like he indirectly confirmed the involvement of Yu Suzuki.

Yeah Im pretty sure now that Yu Suzuki is dfinitely involved, this gives me some hope. Also with the announcement that Space channel 5 and Sega Bass are to be released in HD, it's surely now a near certainty that the Shenmue games sooner or later will get the same treatment, theres just no way around it. All this has me rather hopeful right now.

However I do get the feeling that if Yu is planning something that this could be his last ditch attempt to revive the series.

I really hope the angels are with him and it all goes well [-o<
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shu » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 am

Yeah Im pretty sure now that Yu Suzuki is dfinitely involved, this gives me some hope.

Me too,i hope shenmue town(please not a sequel) will be a great game on a little technology for help the future of shenmue series.
shu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Panda_rapist » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:47 am

i trust yu he is a intelligent man
for me all this is a plan to get shenmue 3 made, getting the game popular and known with the japanese youth who are more likely to enjoy this type of game and who are always hooked to their mobiles so that the xbla and psn ports will sell well so that sega will finally admit that it will not be a financial failure and agree to finance the game
why else would somebody who only settles for the best quality accept one of his games made into a low quality internet game
well all this is just my theorie but i hope that i am right i really do...
Panda_rapist

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:43 am

I just want more news!!! Regardless of what happens or whos involved this is a positive move forward.
Screenwriter_Adam
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: adam3855

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Hey, whats up guys?
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Heart Of Swords » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:18 pm

shu wrote:YEAH!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVgUjd3sMd0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vZZrGXfwU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opjWpcSjJ6E[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZUkYDOB7M[/youtube]

Wow I have been away a while, what is this from? It's neat!
Heart Of Swords
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Shenmue City?? hmm I guess ill try it out , least its something new from SEGA
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby alimn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:44 am

^I love your Avatar!, who is thatt? and from which Anime?

and btw, guys...anyone heard Yuzo Koshiro's comment?
as far as I know now he owns his own studio, called ancient!, delivering his own IPs
beside he is composing music/sound for other company's games such as Level 5's upcoming game!

Anywhere? we can get in touch with him for his comments?
and perhaps other Shenmue devs, well...as far as we know YS is behind this mysterious Shenmue Town!
and that's a big relief, that he also working at his own studio!

Best Regards, Ali M.N
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Segata Sanshiro » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:44 am

Yup, Yuzo Koshiro has had his own studio for many years now. They made Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor for the Genesis and worked in many games as a contractor.

Call me old fashioned but I'm surprised to see how easy it is today to get in touch with famous developers, musicians, etc. This guy for example http://twitter.com/___Raj___ has been talking to people such as Murata, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, and even Yuzo Koshiro, on twitter. Most of them bothered taking the time to answer which is something we fans really appreciate.

And then there's that screencap that disbeliever posted (thanks!). Mitsuyoshi sounds like he's a really nice guy.
Segata Sanshiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Raj! » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Segata Sanshiro wrote:Yup, Yuzo Koshiro has had his own studio for many years now. They made Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor for the Genesis and worked in many games as a contractor.

Call me old fashioned but I'm surprised to see how easy it is today to get in touch with famous developers, musicians, etc. This guy for example http://twitter.com/___Raj___ has been talking to people such as Murata, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, and even Yuzo Koshiro, on twitter. Most of them bothered taking the time to answer which is something we fans really appreciate.

And then there's that screencap that disbeliever posted (thanks!). Mitsuyoshi sounds like he's a really nice guy.

Hey man, that is me..i mostly lurk on here..once i found out about Shenmue City, i thought i might as well try to get some info.
Raj!
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:13 am

alimn wrote:^I love your Avatar!, who is thatt? and from which Anime?

and btw, guys...anyone heard Yuzo Koshiro's comment?
as far as I know now he owns his own studio, called ancient!, delivering his own IPs
beside he is composing music/sound for other company's games such as Level 5's upcoming game!

Anywhere? we can get in touch with him for his comments?
and perhaps other Shenmue devs, well...as far as we know YS is behind this mysterious Shenmue Town!
and that's a big relief, that he also working at his own studio!

Best Regards, Ali M.N

its kenshin himura from rurouni kenshin : ) aka the battousai the man slayer
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sylentknyte » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:28 am

^ Love Kenshin but Sanosuke is by far my favorite character. Great series though.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 am

^ I like Sanosuke too, I love the humor that he brings to the show and his fighting spirit as well :)

I can't believe it though! Shenmue City!!! : D Maybe Sega still cares
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby disbeliever » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Segata Sanshiro wrote:Yup, Yuzo Koshiro has had his own studio for many years now. They made Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor for the Genesis and worked in many games as a contractor.

You're welcome.

Yeah, it's true. He is a nice, funny guy to talk to. 2 years ago, while I was contributing to one of the biggest european gaming blogs, I tried to interview him since he's not only my favourite vgm composer of all time thanks to his incredible Shenmue theme (obviously), but actually THE SEGA LEGEND responsible for the best tunes one could hear in the arcades in the 90s (Daytona, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter to name only few). He wanted to see the questions first - most of them were sneaky and Shenmue-connected... He was apparently afraid of Sega and the interview never took place. Yet again, it's true - most of them are accessible - you just need a right approach. For instance, I had the pleasure to chat with Rika Muranaka who made great songs for the MGS series, right after release of MGS4 and... She confirmed that more MGS was on the way, while Kojima kept talking this was the last one. Anyway, you can find Take-san both on myspace and facebook, both of his profiles are legit. I believe he has a twitter too, but since I don't have one... Good luck to everyone.
disbeliever

PSN: disbeliever616
XBL: disbeliever616
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Bloodborne

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates