Shenmue City Announced

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue City Announced

Postby Fenix » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:12 pm

You can even make low cost games to have a little market study and calculate how many fans you have with the game.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes but there's a problem. Shenmue is not a new IP. It has at-least-a-damn-million fans out there who are waiting since 2001 for a closure. Doing a dick move like this is not something Suzuki should do. I don't believe this will sell well in Japan. Shenmue is simply not a good IP for Japan. They didn't like it in 1999 and they won't like it now, even though Suzki is trying to make it more appealing for his Japanese audience (and, ironically, kills the series for its real fans that way).
Last edited by Dorian on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Don't go all Dorian on us... Dorian.
:)

Chill, kid. Believe me we have reason to believe it will not be, at all, like that.

It will not be an old school Shenmue experience, no sir. It is not meant to be. It is not Shenmue III, it is not the continuation of the series or a major add to it, no no no.

It is a side story, a new, alternative entry to somewhat revitalize the saga, the franchise, the name Shenmue. To have something new out there, and bring Shenmue out of the lethargic coma so many of us have become so bitter about.

You have to judge it based on that, not versus Shenmue III, not versus what we want, not versus what Shenmue needs: it's proper continuation and full scale conclusion.

That's, maybe, the next step. In the sequence of this Shenmue City or with other steps taken along the way, and in the sequence of altogether distinct circunstances.

Anyway, this is the biggest step to what we want and what should be in short of a decade.

Why act so dramatic about it?

And that's that, the last time I am going to try to be rational with Dorian. :)

Off topic, glad to see you come back in the wake of this news, even if just to say crap about them. It's clear you heart Shenmue.
Oh, and I miss the 'waiting in a fucking cave' sig. That was a winner. :)
Last edited by ThyDarkAngel on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:20 pm

In theory, you are perfectly right, ThyDarkAngel. I completely agree with you in theory. There's just this thing... I am sure that in practice this will be a failure.
Oh, and I miss the 'waiting in a fucking cave' sig. That was a winner.

Thank you very much. My boyfriend loved that one as well...
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby alimn » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:31 pm

The whole thing is a big relief, THANK GOD AND I HOPE EVERYONE READ THIS CAREFULLY

1-Shenmue is back, in a new form of entertainment which can appeal into more audience and makes a better preparation for SEGA to announce Shenmue 3,
now a days even my friends who have stopped playing games since MANY YEARS ago, now are enjoying Face Book and other social-small sized games (Mafia War and etc),
don't tell me you have not tried them or already enjoying them (There are now even 3d games on face book like the one which is called "Billions" with
Wii+ graphics), so Shenmue for PC and iPhone(sorry phones) is defiantly bigger than a Shenmue for Dreamacast...
small in dev, big in audience.

2-SEGA is talking, finally...big faces, big words...Thanks to Shenmue's return by Yu Suzuki and SUNSOFT (SEGA has only the main Shenmue name copyright as for this one!),
now time for those SAMMY fella to get into action, if they do not want to go through another crisis, they must keep up with the changes and new directions plus people's respond
is all they need.

3-YS NET, read the part bellow to realize how it is gonna define the future of Shenmue and playing a new chapter in "THE WHOLE GAMING WORLD"

YS NET, the world is going to be NET and YS may be the new leader of world,...let's simply tell "gaming world"
(At least his Shenmue and Virtua Fighter plus arcade simulations were the leaders of current games,
VF=first 3d polygonal fighter,
Shenmue=first free roaming game with tons of elements such as Quick Time Event
Hang On, Out Run, After Burner, Space Harrier and ...ALL have an influence on today's racing, and ...games)

Ok, let's talk about YS NET
"Basically it is near to SEGA in map,
and connected to SEGA for sure otherwise why SEGA's name is around
and YS is still a SEGA employee"

So,...SEGA owns a share of it, (like Prope)...
we can NOT call this studio a small studio, for a techie like Yu Suzuki who has been always working
on big stuff, and a mastermind which has been thinking about bringing realirty in a form of entertainment into our lives even before we know about games!,

YES, HE IS NEVER gonna do crap, cheap stuff or working with a small team...
Yu Suzuki is truly an all time advanced developer, stuff happens in everyone's life (why some can not see his super long list of game titles!)
...having two major titles canceled like Psy-Phi or Shenmue Online is not a big deal at all, (many companies have canceled projects, more than this)

In fact I like Shenmue City more than Online because

1-Everyone can play it, even west if know Japanese (thanks to today's softwares)
...it's a matter of time for west to get it official.

2-It is not only for China or Korea...It is for the heart of gaming world "JAPAN",
ATARI killed gaming...but Nintendo brought it back...so, no doubt JAPAN is the KING.

3-It has the Shenmue Chapter 1 feeling which is simply lovely,
check out the first GAMEPLY details here
http://sunsoft.jp/shenmue-gai/about_shenmue-gai.html

4-It is gonna make them some money, some more respect and some more Shenmue users!

YS NET is not digital rex (Psy-Phi and Shenmue Online) or AM Plus
(even AM Plus could deliver a major title like SEGA RACE TV although Yu Suzuki was
generally the head of the studio by that time)

YS NET is gonna big, they already opened their twitter and so many people are following in a bunch of hours,
(Perhaps Yu Suzuki is tweeting himself!)
all these years, now we were like where is Yu Suzuki?
now, that Shenmue-gai, YS NET and SUNSOFT are tweeting about the whole story with the latest piece of info
we are wondering if this? or if that?

Come one, we could never have such official links a few years ago (don't tell me you can not
use Google Translate to get yourself some hot-first in the line news, I have been doing this since
the first minute and I feel Yu Suzuki and Shenmue is now more near to me than ever)

I love the whole thing, the whole thing feels positive...don't believe it?
so, why we already have these OFFICIAL links? and hundreds more over the net....

http://www.shenmue.com/index_jpn.html
http://sunsoft.jp/shenmue-gai/about_shenmue-gai.html
http://www.ysnet-inc.jp/
https://twitter.com/shenmue_gai
https://twitter.com/YSNET_Inc

Internet is the future, cloud computing is coming, services such as Onlive, Dave Perry's Gai Kai or social games on Face Book
like Billions or Mafia Wars,
the whole thing we knew about traditional gaming and having a disc with a art box is gonna get changed in no time,
in future you will turn on a device and it will stream Windows, games, everything for you...you may even send
your mind completely in another part of the world exploring stuff in virtual reality and more
(combing Kinect with NET and MORE? stuff like this are already starting)
...we may even install chips inside our bodies for some special
functionality, that sounds scary...but it's like getting a flu shot, nothing really painful!

^All said above, perhaps is the reason for Yu Suzuki to call it YS NET,
in short "NET" is the future and as his message says he can NOT stop making games until he dies,
and hopefully we will have Yu Suzuki around for many years to come...
so YS NET maybe the next big JAPAN developer...but not with negative, or blind or not-deep thinking comments...

Let's stop spreading the negative energy, and think more carefully...a bit deep...and keep our eyes OPEN on
every single click, news, comment, link,

Shenmue is back, SEGA is warming up FINALLY, Yu Suzuki is working hard....AWESOME!
That's all we were dieing for all these hard years.

I remember his older interviews, the G4 one...
that someone said...we can't tell but this guy is after something,
that soon will bring something totally different to this world...
and that's why I always believed in Yu and still admiring him.

Best Regards, Ali M.N
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby R3N » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:02 pm

http://sunsoft.jp/shenmue-gai/index2.html
This game is not the next step in shenmue this game is the next step to shenmue online.
shenmue city is basically shenmue online you can see shenmue online characters there.

It is nice that some of you are getting exited.
I am actually sad and disappointed...
If what that article says is true http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/1 ... mu_murata/
thenI feel sorry for Yu I respect that man.
He worked so hard on shenmue that he got sick or collapsed.... What a hard working man....

Atleast shenmue is not dead yet. I will play that game I already have a yahoo jp ID from a friend.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Dorian » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:08 am

alimn, I admire your skill to think in such an abstract way. Too bad it's daydreaming but at least you have the passion.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby alimn » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 am

^ And I appreciate you time, on reading the not so long post of mine,

-Anyway...after all the these years people must have learned that without SEGA and Yu Suzuki
there won't be another Shenmue and if this Shenmue whatever we love or not, can not gain success,
SEGA may stops even considering that they have something called Shenmue...

So, we must support, like, fan, follow Yu Suzuki and his future titles at any price!

Look at this,

Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil creator) has just opened his new studio
(before YS NET) and they have a twitter for their studio and Mikami-san himself,
it's been a while...if not a month (records are on andriasang.com)

BUT

SUNSOFT opened Shenmue's twitter about 4 days ago,
and YS NET started tweeting less than 2 days ago...

Let's compare the number of followers, considering the opening times,
then once again, we can understand that Shenmue is still more popular,
and Shenmue fans are perhaps the most strong fan base ever,
although Resident Evil, Okami & Vanquish has been great games...
and Mikami san has a lots of fans.

http://twitter.com/Tango_gw_en 102 followers
^With all that CAPCOM super stars.
http://twitter.com/Shinji_Mikami_E 338 followers

While

https://twitter.com/shenmue_gai 209 followers
^Yes, What's Shenmue?
https://twitter.com/YSNET_Inc 50 followers (in about 2 days!)

Bottom line, SEGA are watching, our posts, these small comments,
even the number of fans, followers, users and ...
they analyze a lots of things.

SO WE HAVE TO SHOW THEM NO MERCY
regarding how much we LOVE Shenmue and YS,
all proofs that WE NEED SHENMUE 3 even more than old times.

Best Regards, Ali M.N
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Lan Di sama » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:08 am

Some of you are in denial...
Lan Di sama
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Wanderin' » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:17 pm

To be honest, yes - Shenmue City itself is largely disappointing for fans and not worth being excited for in and of itself. But, Alimn does in fact make a valid observation.

Like I have mentioned elsewhere on these forums, something as straightforward and blunt as CVG's recent article that directly asked if fans - rather, paying customers - would actually buy a Shenmue 3 did catch Sega's attention with Mr. Mike Hayes' (President of Sega West) response that we should 'never say never' about a third Shenmue title. Regardless of how pithy, unsubstantial, or ultimately inconsequential Hayes' response may be, this is still proof that Sega does in fact analyze and add to its awareness perhaps almost everything that is said in the media and interwebs that pertains to them and their products, regardless of whether they take immediate action or not.

So, what I'm trying to intimate here is that we should not necessarily be excited about Shenmue City itself, but rather that Yu Suzuki is active again after almost a decade (not counting Sega TV Racing or what have you) and that for all intents and purposes, that there must be an underlying reason for why he wants to even make something like Shenmue City.

After all, he could have easily made Virtua Fighter City - a social network game where Virtua Fighter fans and casual internet gamers alike could shop for and trade fighter accessories and costumes, accessorize customizable avatars, and send match invites (ex. at arcades) - and that would most likely be millions of times more instantly popular than Shenmue City. But he has not done so, and is determined to make Shenmue City. The reason why is consequently why we should be excited.

Is the reason why because he wants to make a Shenmue Online revival (what with Shenmue City sharing assets from Shenmue Online)? Or is it because Sega executives have allowed Suzuki to put his hands on the company's Shenmue assets again as part of a general strategy to renew the series for the contemporary gaming community? Of course, no one knows at this time.

But - I leave you with this (and I do apologize for the length of this post): Yu Suzuki is active again, and this may in fact be the last chance for all of us for another very, very long time. As many others have pointed out, whether we try through twitter, e-mails to YS Net, or one final professional attempt to send a single fan sponsored letter to YS Net, we need to take advantage of the fact that Suzuki is active again to speak to the man.

He needs to be asked that yes, although he may not have any current plans to complete the main Shenmue story arc at the moment, what then does in intend to ultimately do to finish the saga before he retires? And we have to tell him that we are just as enthusiastic about the saga as we were 10 years ago, regardless of whether he makes Shenmue City or not, and that we would surely accept a final Shenmue title in *any* manner of cost appropriate form: XBL/PSN download, Nintendo DS title, PSP title, conventionally made current generation game, HD Dreamcast software title, etc.

After all, this *must* be what the man wants, right? For Sega and Suzuki, irregardless of the middling 100,000 (?) people that might take interest in Shenmue City (that aren't original fans already) there already are at least as many (and most likely many more) conventional Shenmue fans worldwide who have never stopped asking for a Shenmue 3. And if Shenmue 3 would only be as expensive as Sega and/or Suzuki wanted it to be, cost should not be a problem.

So - we are at a bit of a crossroads here. I think Sega and Suzuki are more than aware of what the current situation is for Shenmue (that they have already used the 'no current plans at this time' card enough already, that with both All Stars Racing and Shenmue City there will *always* be Shenmue fans ready and willing to commit to paying for and enjoying new Shenmue experiences), and that anything Suzuki says now about the future of the saga will most likely be as definitive as we''ll ever get. And if he says "I really have no clue about the future of the saga and that I cannot at all promise that I will ever be able to finish it," then I *will* be satisfied because he came right out and said it.

But - if he says "Yes, before I retire, and within the near future, I do promise Shenmue fans that I will do everything in my power at least, to create at least one more game to finish the series," then that is most certainly something to be excited about.

Alright. So even though Famitsu (or some other weekly gaming rag) will beat us to the punch in contacting and asking Suzuki the above fateful questions, we need to at the very least, keep up our tenacity in our public oratories about wanting a Shenmue 3 (whether it be on CVG with Mike Hayes or elsewhere on the Interwebs, media, etc.). After all, I want to remind you again that whether or not Shenmue 3 is coming out is NOT the issue at hand at the moment. Instead, it is what Yu Suzuki himself says about the issue that is most important now, and now, when he is actively making a game related product that has garnered surprisingly moderate notice in the media, is the best - and perhaps final time - that we have to ask him directly.
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby R3N » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:45 am

The great news is shenmue is not dead. But
Yu is already 52 years old..

I think there will never be a shenmue 3 after the year 2020 so we need to act now......
as you all know If Yu retires all the little hope we have for the completion of the saga will be lost...

we only have 10 years or less....

This is a great time to get advantage that some fans are gaining hope.
We should try to get together and try to get sega's attention.

Maybe we should reopen shenmue campaign area and this time trying to work together...
I am sure if we can at least get 500 fans to act we can actually accomplish our goal to get SEGA attention

This is not about getting shenmue 3 this is about telling SEGA that after all these years we have not yet gave up hope.
Show them once again that we care.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby krizzex » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

I've said it once and I'll say it again. You guys are some of the worst fans I have ever seen.

We finally see Yu getting a chance to make some progress after being locked in the attic for 10 years and all you do is bash his work. On the other hand you are perfectly fine with some completely unrelated person taking the series and going whichever way he wants with it regardless of how it was intended to go so long as you get a game with the name Shenmue 3 on your 360 and 360 alone.

This is a good thing just like Shenmue Online would have been. If it is successful it will reastablish Yu Suzuki's standing in Sega and increase the chances of him getting the green light for Shenmue 3. I dare say that this is the last chance for the series to recover. Can you guys at least "try" to show some encouragement?

Then on top of that you are hating it before even seeing it in action. You have already determined that it will be horrible when it could turn out to be the best of its genre.
krizzex
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Res » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Dare I assume that my opinion is shared by most? Shenmue City is better than no Shenmue at all. It's a step in the right direction because, as far as Sega's concerned, there's no other direction to go at the moment. Therefore, the realization of Shenmue III is directly tied to the success (or lack thereof) of Shenmue City. If Shenmue City doesn't impress then there will be no more Shenmue. If Shenmue City succeeds then Shenmue III becomes a possibility. Simple. We're all just waiting for the news of an English version of Shenmue City. That would reawaken our Shemue passion.
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Without Remorse » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:01 am

There is something to be announced about the game on the 15th.(if translator is translating these tweets even close to correctly.)

Source: Shenmue_Gai twitter, the twitter account of the game.

[news]I hold a production announcement meeting of [Shenmue street]!

I start [Shenmue street] at 16:00 on production announcement meeting, Monday, November 15, 2010!Look at ♪ that an introduction, the special guest appear in the details of the ☆ game that the Ustream delivery performs in an official site by all means!(The official site is this place ⇒http://bit.ly/9ML2TM

The mobile version is the whole prior registration receptionist!Please register ☆ in a chance to be under by a precedent public play!

I will introduce an introduction and the game of this project. ♪ that a talk of that special guest is pleasure

Also YSNET_Inc tweeted a few things:

Hello!It is YsNet!I uploaded Shenmue street production announcement meeting press release in the HP.

To a guest of the production announcement meeting that person!!!!!

The links that are posted lead to a press release that is butchered horribly by the translator, link is here if anyone wants to interpret it correctly.http://www.sun-denshi.co.jp/soft/news/101112/

Press Release:

With [モバゲータウン] which D エヌ・エー (the main office,:, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Representative Director president and CEO,:, Tomoko Nanba) Co., Ltd. administers in cooperation with YSNET (the main office,:, Oota-ku, Tokyo, Representative Director,:, Hiroshi Suzuki) Co., Ltd., Sega (Oota-ku, Tokyo, President-Director COO put Usui interest (the main office) paternal blood (seed)) Co., Ltd. in sun electron Co., Ltd. (the main office,:, Konan-shi, Aichi, President-Director,:, Yoshiharu Yoshida) [Yahoo!]I hold the delivery production announcement party of the planned social game [Shenmue street (Shenmue fellow)] for モバゲー] on November 15, 2010. A ■ [Shenmue street] production announcement meeting The date and time on Monday, November 15, 2010 from 16:00 at 17:15 (a plan): Receptionist start / opening 15:30~ It is UDXTheater a place (4-14-1, Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo Akihabara UDX Building 4F) http://udx.jp/theater/

The details: Person of <going on the platform planned> (honorific title abbreviation)) Group Vice-President Sega mobile new media Division Hiroyuki Miyazaki Co., Ltd. COO Isao Moriyasu and the Division Director Director D エヌ・エー social Medea Co., Ltd. Representative Director YSNET Yutaka Suzuki Co., Ltd. Electronic President-Director sun Yoshiharu Yoshida Co., Ltd. <special guest> Hiroshi Fujioka (Fujioka Hiroshi)) An actor / a martial artist

I am in charge of a voice of father / 芭月巌 of chief character / 芭月涼 of ○ Shenmue. A dojo studio of [芭月武館] in the suburbs of Yokosuka is important; a master of 芭月流柔術. ○ せがた Sanshiro As a promotion character of Sega Saturn from November, 1997 Until November, 1998, I appear in 20 CF in total. [Sega Saturn, Shiro!]By a phrase called] and strong character characteristics, I create a big boom. I got the second place for the commercial high sensitivity of February, 1998 and called a big topic.

About a ■ coverage receptionist I do coverage acceptance of person concerned with media. It is pr-sunsoft@sun-denshi. receptionist e-mail addressco.jp (please inform it of the participation number of people, an address.) ) Is ※; after the day announcement society end of Yutaka Suzuki accept the individual coverage. Because there is a limit at the number of people and time, approve the acceptance in a first-come-first-served basis and the thing which I will do on that day. A ■ [Shenmue street] official site http://sunsoft.jp/shenmue-gai/ The production announcement meeting of ※ this time relays Ustream [Shenmue street] in an official site. (http://www.ustream.tv/user/sunsoftgames)

//end press conference.

Looks like the voice of Iwao/ Japanese superstar Hiroshi Fujioka will be there to drum up interest in the game. Will update post with anything else that gets tweeted or linked, as I can.
Last edited by Without Remorse on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Without Remorse
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: W1TH0UT REMORSE
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Super Meat Boy

Postby Panda_rapist » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:08 am

thanks for sharing :) , yeah looks like it unless google translator has proven itself once again to be totally useless :lol: but looks like monday we will finally see what this game actually looks like
Panda_rapist

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates