1UP's Shenmue Anniversary Celebration

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

1UP's Shenmue Anniversary Celebration

Postby shenhua legend » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:59 am

1UP is hosting a Shenmue anniversary feature, including a new interview with Yu Suzuki.

"Technically, it's not Shenmue's 10th anniversary. That was about a month ago in the U.S., and a year before that in Japan. But thanks to a new mobile game overseas, and a long-in-the-works Yu Suzuki interview coming together from former 1UP editor in chief/current Q Entertainment producer/guest 1UP interviewer James Mielke, we figured it was close enough. So for this week, we fudged the dates to celebrate the kind-of anniversary of one of Sega's most ambitious games, as well as the career of creator Yu Suzuki, who's been out of the spotlight since Shenmue II shipped."

View the Article
shenhua legend
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Shenmue Anniversary Celebration (+ Yu new interview)

Postby Heart Of Swords » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 am

Wow this'll be great. I can't wait.
Heart Of Swords
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Superb!
This will be very interesting and, hopefully, very enlightning.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Yeah I just came here to post this. Looks awesome, we should all give them a bunch of traffic!
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Re: 1UP's Shenmue Anniversary Celebration

Postby Yama » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Topic edited and added to the front page. Thank you.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Ri_oh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:04 pm

shenhua legend wrote:"who's been out of the spotlight since Shenmue II shipped."

I never really thought about it, but he really has. This is exciting news. Can't wait to hear what he has to say.
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh

Postby ShenmueAddict99 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 pm

This is exciting news but I am tired of waiting i can't wait anymore
ShenmueAddict99
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: ShenmueAddict99
XBL: ShenmueAddict99
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:17 am

Amazing! :D just Beautiful, even Yu-San realizes that he can't let his ultimate masterpiece (Shenmue) die. its time to celebrate the life of Shenmue \:D/
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:00 am

Time's are certainly a changin'. It's been a long long time since Suzuki has sat down for a candid interview with any western games journalist. However, although I too anticipate reading this long-awaited interview just like everyone else here, the first article posted has already hinted at what the immediate future of Shenmue may hold for all of us.

When asked about how Shenmue Gai/World would tie into the larger core Shenmue Saga as a whole, 1Up mentions that there is a "major update" being planned for Shenmue Gai that would bring the social game's story and events up to speed/into the Shenmue 2 timeframe. And that Suzuki suggests that "If after the [update] the game is still popular, I have the story beyond Shenmue II," said Suzuki. "So I can include that, as well. That's the plan."

This fact, coupled with the other fact that YS-Net is apparently a "five man company" (also quoted from the article) suggests to me that Suzuki really isn't in any kind of position to be daydreaming of/planning a 'grand-scale' core Shenmue saga sequel (Shenmue 3) that he has mentioned in passing recently.

Now, this post is not meant to rain on anyone's parade or to subject anyone to any kind of negativity regarding the possibility of a Shenmue 3. Instead, these current developments in the Shenmue world - I actually kind of hate to say it -now ultimately test whether each and every one us Shenmue fans can stand true as dedicated fans of the saga.

What could I possibly mean by that? Well, for years we have discussed how Suzuki could finish the core Shenmue saga. After much deliberation, debate, and tears (well, mostly my tears...) many of us agreed that we ultimately really wouldn't mind what format the conclusion to Shenmue came in (even though most of us long for a proper 'grand scale' Shenmue 3 game), so long as it did materialize.

Now that alternative format has actually materialized in the form of the social network game Shenmue Gai/World. I know that many of you refuse to accept this and continue to hold out for the proper grand scale Shenmue 3 console game that we were promised so many years ago - but this is what I mean by how this current situation tests out dedication. Even though Suzuki is currently demonstrating very much enthusiasm for having Gai become a success and present more of the Shenmue story to everyone, shall we continue to push him (often rather unfairly, considering what little game making capital and resources he honestly owns currently) for a proper Shenmue 3?

On the other hand, should we all commit ourselves to supporting Shenmue Gai with every last effort that we can contribute? After all, since Shenmue Gai is very easy to develop, and it isn't that hard to have Dojo members fluent in Japanese to contribute translations of Gai's expansion update stories, the conclusion to the core saga's story is really just that close to being revealed to us all via Shenmue Gai story updates. Think about that - regardless of whether a proper Shenmue 3 ever comes out, we could have the rest of the core saga's story really much sooner than you think.

Food for thought, my friends, food for thought. By the way, regardless of how this turns out, I'll still be here with everyone waiting for every comment Suzuki makes about Shenmue with much anticipation. Cheers!
Wanderin'

Postby shenhua legend » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:08 am

shenhua legend

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:33 am

The articles are excellent. I look forward to Part 2 of the interview (the questions are really good)!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Ri_oh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Great interview so far. I always love seeing Yu get the recognition he deserves.
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:35 pm

He may have done alot but I really only care about questions on SIII so part 2 should be more intresting.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Supa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Can't wait for the next part tomorrow. And did anyone see the last part? We can win signed copies of YS games! And talk about Shenmue I, II, III, Gai, Online, and everything else...like where he's been since Shenmue II besides VF4 and the canceled Shenmue Online and Psy Phi.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Res » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed in these articles. They promote it as the 10th year anniversary of Shenmue so I expected some kind of look back celebration of the original game. Instead, it's just an interview with Suzuki (that barely touches on Shenmue and is only interesting because the interviewer's wife's name is Joy), and an article explaining what to expect from Shenmue Gai (which looks surprisingly cool). Toomorrow's (Dec 8th) article looks like it will be an interview with Suzuki talking about Shenmue, Shenmue II, and Shenmue III. I look forward to it but It's still not an anniversary celebration of the original Shenmue which they kinda sorta are claiming.
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to News and Updates