Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm more concerned why Yu keeps the fans hanging in limbo with all his fluff talk all these years and then says things like "maybe sega will let me get the IP" ...So um Yu do it or at least show some true effort instead of fluff talk and half assed tries like SO & SG.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby LawXiu » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Nothing's ever clear with Sega or Yu Suzuki. As long as business is booming with Sonic Sega doesn't care. If HD releases are due then surely confirming it to the public early would be good advertising. All the websites I've seen with the rumor say it's come from a "reliable source". I'd like to know who that is.

Also, I'd be interested to know if Yu really could get the IP. There's so many references in the game to other Sega titles I wonder if he would be able to keep them in. I know he created Virtua Fighter but wouldn't it still belong to Sega? And then there's the Sonic toys...
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Yuji wanted to get away from Sonic and create new things which he has done with Prope. (btw Sonic Gens & Sonic Colors are awesome) Yu does not need or want the VF IP. That was something Sega asked him to make and so he did to compete with Street Fighter craze of the early 90's. Shenmue was his baby at SEGA. he keeps saying he wants the Shenmue IP but makes no real attempts to do anything about it. It's not like SEGA dearly wants it. I bet they care more about Sword of Vermilion & Alex Kidd than they do about Shenmue.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby LawXiu » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:29 pm

But if he took Shenmue from Sega would he have to get permission to use VF and Sonic characters? There's loads of them in the game as capsule toys. And isn't there some Knights characters?
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:36 pm

LawXiu wrote:But if he took Shenmue from Sega would he have to get permission to use VF and Sonic characters? There's loads of them in the game as capsule toys. And isn't there some Knights characters?

So he would just have it Published by SEGA. Bayonetta is a Platinum Games IP but has Sonic in it.
Nintendo has Sonic and Metal Gear Solid in a Nintendo IP in Smash Bros. Capcom games with SNK Characters. The list goes on forever. He just needs permission Doubt that would be an issue.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby LawXiu » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I hope so. I would hate to see those little details lost from the game.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:08 pm

It's really hard to say exactly what is going on behind closed doors. It may look like Yu is talking fluff and doing little, but who knows what exactly he's working at. I mean look at Shenmue Gai, it was clearly a desperate attempt to revive the franchise and probably win favour with Sega, there would be no other reason to tie the name Shenmue to a mobile game. Unfortunately (and predictably) the game completely failed.

I also found it interesting when Yu said "I have many interested investors", could that mean that Yu plans to have the game published by someone else, and have it have nothing to do with Sega? Personally, I would find the loss of Sega references a minuscule price to pay for Shenmue 3.

Either way, until Shenmue HD is officially announced I'm going to assume that Yu is receiving no help from Sega, and that he needs all the help from us that he can get. So join me on the 3rd to tell Sega to #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense . It also might help Sega to decide to get their butt in gear and do something.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mond » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:35 pm

I still feel that only the shenmue fans would get these HD versions and unless the sales were ridiculously good i still dont think it will get them to make shenmue 3, has there ever been an HD rerelease that has spurred on an entire sequel yet? I wouldnt want them to fully remake the game as i think its perfect as it is but i feel that its the only thing they could do to get new fans in.
Mond
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: Tastymond
Steam: Tastymond
Currently playing: Shenmue alway's

Postby Thief » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 pm

At most they've used HD collections to get people excited for upcoming releases. Such as God of War Collection and God of War 3 and Sly Cooper Collection and Sly 4.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 am

Bluecast wrote:I'm more concerned why Yu keeps the fans hanging in limbo with all his fluff talk all these years and then says things like "maybe sega will let me get the IP" ...So um Yu do it or at least show some true effort instead of fluff talk and half assed tries like SO & SG.

This. It annoys the hell out of me that he still keeps on hinting but with no concrete results. And maybe he does do work behind the scenes as mentioned but for fucks sake, just tell the fans then that you are trying at least.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Nevermind
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:16 pm

I hope they release a hard copy of Shenmue HD if they release it. I only buy hard copies.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Yama » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:36 pm

mrslig100 wrote:I hope they release a hard copy of Shenmue HD if they release it. I only buy hard copies.

I'd prefer a hard copy, sure. But in the case of Shenmue, I'll buy whatever the hell they put out, as should you. Period.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Sonikku » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:02 pm

mrslig100 wrote:I hope they release a hard copy of Shenmue HD if they release it. I only buy hard copies.

Me too. No broadband. :-({|=
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't understand why they would keep teasing like this if they know the Shenmue fans will just have their hopes up yet again. Would they really be that heartless to not back it up with an actual HD port?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates