Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

Postby redline » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:09 pm

thinking about it, i really hope sega dont pin the future of shenmue 3 on how well shenmue1/2 HD sells, that would suck ](*,)

o yeah, have we all agreed on a new abbreviation for shenmue-hd 1/2 yet, like S2x (?)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Quiksylver » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey my fellow Shenmue fans!
You know, like other people just signing up, ive been coming to this site and forums for years.
2002 in my last year of school during IT and business studies this was the only website i could access to look up shenmue news....10 years later, circumstances changed but still back here every now and again.
For years ive been telling everyone that eventually it (Shenmue 3) will happen, most people say def not. I dunno...i guess like all you guys on here, you know that its too big an opportunity for sega to just let go. Fair enough it didnt sell as well as they wanted it to, but im sure more people would buy it now....just by word of mouth.
At work this evening i told my workmate to look up shenmue intro on youtube, by the end of it he was like "man i was glued to the screen!". IF shenmue HD comes out at all, i will buy a copy not just for me, but for all my friends that NEED to play it, whether they want to or not, but hopefully they'll be interested enough to buy it for themselves!!
I know im silly to most people for saying that, but the only people who would ever understand are pretty much 90% of you lot on here.
Anyway its been 10 years and im finally communicating , dunno what took me so long!!
Quiksylver
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: Quiksylver
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Golf Wang » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 pm

I've been on YouTube, and I've been seeing many Shenmue fans posting videos of their reaction to the announcement of the Shenmue HD remakes and how they really hope a Shenmue III will be made. It's very encouraging to see all these fans buzzing on YouTube. :)
Golf Wang
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: G0LFxWANG
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue III

Postby Balzak802 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:15 pm

It's weird seeing all of these new account being made recently. However, I am glad of it because that just shows that the Shenmue community is still growing. I just hope this growth in the community will be big enough to make these HD remake a huge hit. I know I will be doing my part in the community by buying at least 3 copies of the HD Remakes when they come out. :king:
Balzak802

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:23 am

I've decided to do my very own Shenmue HD wishlist that I'll be featuring on my blog the Monday after next, and I was just wondering if everyone would be cool with me referring to your own wishes and such in the post, and maybe even nothing the most common wish patterns and anything else that stands out along the way?

Wouldn't want to nab them without your permission :P.

Fucking PHENOMENAL news, this, anyway, and I would be extremely surprised (as well as angry/disappointed) if this was all just speculation over nothing and SEGA had nothing solid on the game all along. Then again, they'd be bloody stupid not to invest in the remasters in the first place, so... Let's just see what happens, eh? :).

Great to see everyone again!

xx
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:52 pm

If all is true and we do get a release date for Shenmue 1 and 2 HD then with the worders of the Interwebz we could do our best and spread the word to the best of our abilities if it would increase the chances of recieving Shenmue III. I would love it if they released Shenmue III on XBLA using the original shenmue engine with HD graphics. It would be highly possible and cost wouldnt be too much. It would also be great if they made a limited edition version for us hardcore fans.
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Hey guys! I thought it time that I finally joined in too!

I've been following the dojo for quite some time (well, ebver since I got to experience the greatness of shenmue at the age of 12, in 2002 lol!), hoping for more shenmue news. I not into many games but shenmue has (sorry if this sounds cheesy) was sooo fantastic that it has made an impact for my life.

I've never forgotten it! And it's the only game that I've played more than once too (including shenmue 2, which I bought an xbox for specifically during my college around 2007 since my dreamcast wouldn't recognise the 3rd disc + the dreamcast itself broke :-( I've always told everyone hold shenmue is my favourite game, and except for 1 girl I've met at uni recently no one really knew it.

I just LOVE everything about shenmue 1 and 2! I love how immersive they are and how you really feel like you're a part of it. No game has ever made me feel anywhere near as engrossed really, but I haven't played that much tbh (Alan Wake and l.a. noire are examples of impulse buys just because many sites have made a comparison to shenmue, and as cool as they are too they haven't come close.)

I recently had they opportunity to play shenmue 1 again when my brother gave me his dreamcast before I started my 2nd year at uni (last August) and imo is still holds up pretty well! Graphics are still amazing! (Though the loading does get on your nerves sometimes lol!)

I'm sooo excited at the recent news! It really made my day when I found out about it last week (i was in a trip to berlin for uni) and I haven't gotten it out of my mind since.

I regularly listen to the amazing soundtrack, which is incredibly vast! Wow you can literally find a track for every mood and scenario!

So yeah, I can't contain this anymore, I WANT SHENMUE BACK, and as a fan I feel as though I can finally allow myself to get excited about it again, yeah! There has been some moments with Gai and Yu Suzuki mentioning 3 agian, but not long ago I was ready to just accept it as a thing of the past :sad:. No more I suppose! Definitely going to be giving out some ms points for friends to jump in this!

P.S. I loved Skies of Arcadia too! Can't wait to play that too! (Though it'll have to be in the holidays, this year or the next for both games) Grandia 2 and SoA along with Lost Odyssey are indeed incredible (and only) RPGs i managed to get into.

Looking forward to more news! x
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Welcome to the site Flagship! :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mrandyk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 pm

I am surprised at how excited everyone is. Just having the two games ported to the current consoles would fill me with joy, but has there been any confirmation at all on this? Until we get an official announcement I'm just going to act as though it's just another piece of false hope like every other Shenmue related thing that's happened in the last 10 years.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ChaiOgawa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:22 am

mrandyk wrote:I am surprised at how excited everyone is. Just having the two games ported to the current consoles would fill me with joy, but has there been any confirmation at all on this? Until we get an official announcement I'm just going to act as though it's just another piece of false hope like every other Shenmue related thing that's happened in the last 10 years.

We call false hope news around here sir.

Even if some game website posts an article about someone saying, "Yeah, that Shenmue game is never coming out," people get all excited that someone posted a new article about Shenmue.

It's like being on the toilet after getting taco bell. You just close your eyes and hope something comes out.
ChaiOgawa
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ys » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:57 am

Wow, it's been a while since I saw that monkey avatar around here!

*Checking previous posts* Hm, I'm late to the party I see. I missed some comeback posts :P

PS If they say that it's not coming out it's just a way to cover up the secret development.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Sega teases Shenmue HD release on XBLA/PSN

Postby Crowza » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:28 am

The best part is that time has really brought the cost of development down, so where before it was a huge money issue for Sega releasing Shenmue III, it might not be as hard to get a return on investment now. Especially with XBLA and PSN...

At least I can hope. Still won't believe it until I see it though...
Crowza
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: Crowza

Postby johnvivant » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:51 pm

don't know whether anyone here followed the issues involved in the silent hill hd re releases, but it may be insightful into the possible barriers sega might face in getting shenmue hd to us.

in the case of silent hill almost all voice actors denied konami permission to re use their voices. apparently konami conned them out of royalties on other releases.

considering the number of people involved in shenmue, it must be a nightmare getting in contact with all the people involved and going through all the contractual issues to allow the re-use of their work.

this must be especially difficult considering this game has 100's of voice actors. its also likely that the contracts that those people signed all those years ago when shenmue was released didn't include any stipulation about re releases of their work.

i am just speculating here but could this be another issue that holding up these re releases from happening? we still have no confirmation of the truth of the other rumour about the remastering being completed for over a year. may be worth considering. to be honest none of us are too attached to the original english voice acting ( but obviously this will also be an issue with the japanese voice acting) - unlike the silent hill fans.

this may not be an issue with most of the music since it was produced by sega in house.

be interesting to see whether stuff might need to be cut out of final game.

see here for video about the silent hill hd re release issues with voice acting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRtrO-eS ... re=related
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FistOfTheNorthStar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 am

I can't believe I even still remember my login password, lol. It's been years since I've posted anything on here, glad to see such familiar 'faces' on here. Well, I doubt that this would be any sort of false hope for fans of the series. Sure, there's been false hope before on the future of shenmue, but this is something that I can see happening hopefully by the end of this year. It's nothing earth shattering, just a game that if they put online thru xbl and psn will get a bit of revenue, nothing that's going to make them say we NEED to release shenmue. Even if the total downloads reach over $1,000,000 on both networks, its going to take some serious persuasion in order for S3 to see the light of day. But still, there is hope. I'm just happy to see that the sure possibility of S1 and S2 being downloadable titles makes me want to bust a fat nut of joy. Hopefully it goes thru, otherwise I'm just gonna feel like a fool with a fat load in his underwear.
FistOfTheNorthStar
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby KiD » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 am

Might as well join the partay! Would love for this to be true and actually happen. I've been itching to replay Shenmue 1 and 2, but wanted to wait for some HD releases. C'mon SEGA and SHENMUE!
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates