Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby japalp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 am

Unless these first translations are not accurate, I would say this was a fairly big letdown. A couple of thoughts:

1 - If he did say that Shenmue HD is not even being worked on, then we have been duped again by countless dumb rumors and that guy at Sega is really a jerk for saying that it was coming.

2 - Since he has continually said in the past that the story would only be coming out in games, I think it is a REALLY bad sign that he has now changed his mind and may tell the story in manga or anime. This could be the worst news of this show....

3 - If he is not currently working on Shenmue III, then what IS he working on? We haven't heard anything? Everywhere he goes, people only want to know about Shenmue. I just don't understand why he would work on anything else at this point.

japalp has received a thanks from: Axm
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 am

They could be working on anything. Engines, models, concepts, they could be used as an outsourcer, they could've even worked on a handful of games that just never got greenlit. What has he done since Shenmue? SEGA's downfall must've tainted his reputation in some way, as nobody seems to want to put faith in him. Either that or he's out of good ideas and just fell off completely.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 am

And now he's one of those guys who goes to obscure conventions, signs autographs for the unwashed masses and can only respond with maybe when that trigger word (Shenmue) goes off.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby redline » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 am

how much would a talk like this cost?

if anything, we as fans should raise some funds to get Ys to do a proper shenmue talk, where he gets out his folder of drawings & pictures.. sit down and tell us the story & what the plan was.

sega dont want to make the game. they should at least sign off and alow Ys to tell us.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 am

japalp wrote:1 - If he did say that Shenmue HD is not even being worked on, then we have been duped again by countless dumb rumors and that guy at Sega is really a jerk for saying that it was coming.

Nobody at Sega said it was coming.

PR rep Ben Harborne made a typical PR remark about Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia: "I can't say yes or no, but we may be working on 'em." Translated as: "Keep your eyes on Sega so we can sell you stuff we actually ARE working on."

The only people who said it was coming were a 4chan troll claiming to be a Sega mole, and a fifth rate website quoting a conveniently anonymous source. Both of which should have been dismissed even quicker than Harborne's wry teasing.

japalp wrote:3 - If he is not currently working on Shenmue III, then what IS he working on? We haven't heard anything? Everywhere he goes, people only want to know about Shenmue. I just don't understand why he would work on anything else at this point.

Maybe that's why we never know what he's working on. :lol:

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 pm

I think the last thing he worked on was Shenmue City. I find it amusing that he still goes to these question & answer interviews. I mean, if he knows he'll be giving the same response over and over, why bother showing up at all?

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: Axm
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby japalp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
japalp wrote:1 - If he did say that Shenmue HD is not even being worked on, then we have been duped again by countless dumb rumors and that guy at Sega is really a jerk for saying that it was coming.

Actually, what someone at Sega said (and I am not sure if we are speaking about the same person), in response to a question about what other Dreamcast games would be coming, was "I can tell you what it will be, it will be Shenmue."
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby Ziming » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:27 pm

japalp wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Actually, what someone at Sega said (and I am not sure if we are speaking about the same person), in response to a question about what other Dreamcast games would be coming, was "I can tell you what it will be, it will be Shenmue."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLHOjeZ8hO8[/youtube]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby lavrentis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:31 pm

I really don't want to get my hopes up. Watching that Sega guy video makes me feel bitter.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm

At least the internet is in a tizzy over the Kickstarter thing. Google "Shenmue" on Google news and I think we have an indication as to how big this would be if it actually WAS kick-started.

Sega can go fuck it. Loyal fans, who stuck with them through and through, who pretty much now hate them, are still offering them their money. They can at least allow us some dignity and give us an official response. And in retrospect, after the "HD games completed for a year" rumor last year, why didn't they deny that in their response? Instead they gave us some garbage about how excited they are to see passion about Dreamcast era games. What.the.fuck.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Shenmue HD guys, E3. watch.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby lavrentis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Shenmue HD would be big but Shenmue 3 would be massive. What a time that would be for us if it got announced. Creaming myself at the thought. Christ, how sad am I!
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 pm

redline wrote: how much would a talk like this cost?

if anything, we as fans should raise some funds to get Ys to do a proper shenmue talk, where he gets out his folder of drawings & pictures.. sit down and tell us the story & what the plan was.

Now this is actually the best plan anyone's come up with. Why's no one mentioned summat like it before?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mue 26 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: :sad:

Sounds like nothing has changed.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:24 pm

is someone translating the new interview into English? I think its safe to say that if Yu gives the same responses as he has given for the past 3 years, plus the confirmation about Shenmue HD not happening, we should accept that Shenmue is more a less dead.

I think it is disgusting how a company can tease its fans and never issue and official response on one of its most famous ips. A simple, "Sorry, there will be no more Shenmue" would do me fine. But the constant bullshit that SEGA does makes me wonder how they are still in business. They clearly have no respect for their consumers, and although Yu seems more genuine, I am starting to think the same thing about him as well. :(
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates