Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:46 pm

japalp wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
japalp wrote:1 - If he did say that Shenmue HD is not even being worked on, then we have been duped again by countless dumb rumors and that guy at Sega is really a jerk for saying that it was coming.

Nobody at Sega said it was coming.

Actually, what someone at Sega said (and I am not sure if we are speaking about the same person), in response to a question about what other Dreamcast games would be coming, was "I can tell you what it will be, it will be Shenmue."

Watch the video again, as Ziming posted. The question is, "Should fans keep requesting HD remakes of their favorite Dreamcast games?" You quoted the answer correctly, but you mistook the question for, "Will there be any more remakes of Dreamcast games?" Harborne was simply anticipating the most requested games, not those that would be released.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: japalp
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm

That's great logic then. "Hey guys, what games should get the HD remake next?" "How about Shenmue?" "Nah, thats way too lucrative. We're trying to make LESS money, remember? How about Virtua Golf?" "GENIUS!"

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Schiff » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm

last game YS NET worked on is Virtua Fighter Cool-Champ, I think (Japan-only, Mobage game).
In the interview he says:
- the game he made and he cared most is Virtua Fighter (:( I love the series, but still....) because of the challenges its production posed;
- his greatest regret is not having been able to make Shenmue III, yet;
- he's not working on any next-gen game at the moment;
- he is not against using crowd-funding to produce Shenmue III;
- he really wants to make Shenmue III but still he hasn't found a good partner to produce it. He's proud people still ask about this game and he's just waiting for the chance to produce it.

Schiff has received a thanks from: Axm
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby mue 26 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:06 pm

A simple, "Sorry, there will be no more Shenmue" would do me fine.

I agree, but we just have to accept that we will never get this kind of straight up reply from Sega. Why? Because they are a money making corporation, and they will never shut the door conclusively like that on a IP they have, even if they have no intention of working on it in the foreseeable future, just in case. Instead, all that we will ever get from Sega is the usual string of no committing insincere responses. The one we can perhaps expect a more direct reply from is Yu, as he could say "no more Shenmue" and put it all to an end like that. Though it doesn't seem like Yu is giving us any more than the standard vague responses either right now. I mean, I know he still wants to make Shenmue 3, but could he actually try and sound as if he's actively pursuing it with spirit, rather than just sounding like he's laying back and waiting for a millionaire investor to ring his phone. All these maybe's and possibly's are more infuriating than anything! Jeez Louise man, be bold!

I suspected Yu would be more shtoom this time around. Doesn't make it any less annoying though. I wouldn't take what said regarding Shenmue HD as gospel though, as he'd know that that's up to Sega to officially announce, and just might not have wanted to step on any toes...hopefully.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:35 pm

mue 26 wrote:I mean, I know he still wants to make Shenmue 3, but could he actually try and sound as if he's actively pursuing it with spirit, rather than just sounding like he's laying back and waiting for a millionaire investor to ring his phone. All these maybe's and possibly's are more infuriating than anything! Jeez Louise man, be bold!

Maybe it's up to us, the fans, to prove to a potential partner that there's sufficient demand worth investing in? I mean Yu can claim till he's blue in the face that lots of people would buy the game, but he's just one man asking for someone else's money. Would you plough millions of dollars into a product because the designer asked you to? Or would you want to find customers camped out on your lawn and as far as the eye could see, telling you THEY want this game?

If only there was some way of making this demand visible to potential investors everywhere, no matter who they might be, on a routine basis. Any ideas mue?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby japalp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
japalp wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
japalp wrote:1 - If he did say that Shenmue HD is not even being worked on, then we have been duped again by countless dumb rumors and that guy at Sega is really a jerk for saying that it was coming.

Nobody at Sega said it was coming.

Actually, what someone at Sega said (and I am not sure if we are speaking about the same person), in response to a question about what other Dreamcast games would be coming, was "I can tell you what it will be, it will be Shenmue."

Watch the video again, as Ziming posted. The question is, "Should fans keep requesting HD remakes of their favorite Dreamcast games?" You quoted the answer correctly, but you mistook the question for, "Will there be any more remakes of Dreamcast games?" Harborne was simply anticipating the most requested games, not those that would be released.

You are correct. However, he does not need to mention Shenmue, but chooses to and then adds at the end that he is neither confirming or denying, but that they "may be working on it". This is the kind of thing that irritates people like myself in this community. I think we deserve to know what is going on here. A lot of people just assume it is about money, and that may be it, but it may not be. Just acknowledge us fans out here that want to know what the facts are as to why this just sits in limbo. They know how crazy everybody is about this franchise. Just give us the facts and stop with the "maybe in the future..." crap that is really getting old.

japalp has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby rdk_nl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Part 1 within an hour ready at:

http://youtu.be/mYnbHkTrb5s

I'm sorry but there is a GAP:

Local time:
Part 1:
16:17H -- duration 20 minutes
Part 2:
16:37H -- duration 17 minutes
Gap
16:54H -- gap because of a overheated Nikon J1 7 minutes
Part 3:
17:01H -- duration 8 minutes

rdk_nl has received 6 thanks from: Axm, DreamcastPast, Let's Get Sweaty, Schiff, Stocke, wude
rdk_nl
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

How the current state of affairs makes me feel:

Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Schiff » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:57 pm

a big HUGE thanks to Rdk_nl!
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby Stocke » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm

I saw the front page updated, got really excited, then it all slowly dissipated as i read through the thread.
Our time will come lads.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby rdk_nl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Schiff wrote: a big HUGE thanks to Rdk_nl!

Absolutely NO problem, That's where a community is for!

Part 3 is uploading!
rdk_nl

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Will the front page headline be changed to something less misleading than "Yu Suzuki to consider crowd-funding for Shenmue 3"? Now that it's apparent he didn't say that or really give that impression at all.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:Maybe it's up to us, the fans, to prove to a potential partner that there's sufficient demand worth investing in? I mean Yu can claim till he's blue in the face that lots of people would buy the game, but he's just one man asking for someone else's money. Would you plough millions of dollars into a product because the designer asked you to? Or would you want to find customers camped out on your lawn and as far as the eye could see, telling you THEY want this game?

If only there was some way of making this demand visible to potential investors everywhere, no matter who they might be, on a routine basis. Any ideas mue?

Yeah true, I totally agree of course, which is why I'm such a big supporter of the tweetathon. It's just that in the last round of interviews Yu sounded much more assertive (and generated a fair bit of buzz with his own words, of course), and it seems like here we're going back to the same "maybe/possibly/ I like to if the opportunity comes up"' answers we've been getting for the last decade, so it's a little disheartening. But as I said, I did expect this, I think after his last earth shattering "I think they will let me make it" comment, he's probably just much more careful, as he doesn't want to give us false hope.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:15 pm

A comment just posted on the Team Yu Facebook page:

Hi ! I'm Sarah from game-pad.fr, I'm not perfectly fluent but I'll try to give more information in English, so you can understand better what I've said in my report. For sure M. Yu Suzuki is willing to work on Shenmue III. Actually the 'kickstarter' question was asked in a very direct way to Mr. Yu Suzuki. My feeling is that He did not really have any other choice but to answer positively because the whole assembly really wanted him to hear a "yes". M. Yu Suzuki is a great man, really kind and generous - that's my feeling, but I really think he couldn't be insensible to expressions of gratitude from all the people who admire his work and so, He tried to bring something positive to his fans. On remakes, I wanted to clarify what I wrote in my report. He said explicitly that he had never heard of any Shenmue HD remake or port. I do not think SEGA can consider remakes without talking to Mr. Suzuki first. By the way, videos of the conference will come online soon, so everyone will be able to see how things went and judge by themselves. Just to be clear, I don't doubt the word of Sebastien Abdelhamid, I just had a different perception on what happened. Hope this tiny explaination will help.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Axm
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Starting to become clear that Suzuki knows nothing regarding Shenmue in this day and age. He is gone from Sega, who own the IP and any decision regarding its use. People looking for answers from the man are wasting their time. Sure he said last year, "i think Sega will let me make it".........

Really? Still waiting, but cool story bro.

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates