Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby AM2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Let's just say hypothetically, in the future, after Sega has milked out every other IP they own, they decide to revive Shenmue and release Shenmue 3 but without Yu Suzuki! (as you all know our time on earth is limited and shit happens) Would you guys go out and buy it? For me there's no Shenmue without YU SUZUKI.
Last edited by AM2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Do you want to know what killed the series? All that money and resources they wasted on Shenmue online. If it wasn't for Shenmue online cancellation we might had Shenmue 3 by now.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Giorgio » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 pm

RyoHazuki84 wrote:Porting Shenmue 2 to Xbox at the last minute I think hurt the franchise as well IMHO. People had it reserved and just shortly before its supposed Dreamcast release, it is cancelled. I think if it stayed on DC with the established fan base, it could have been more successful. Would it promise us Shenmue 3? Maybe not but the chances would have been higher.

It would be better if they had not released Shenmue for Dreamcast at all and went directly to PS2/X-Box/GC (= 6th generation, excluding DC), but that is unrealistic, because Shenmue was made as a "killer app" for DC (as Yu have said in an interview) after all.

Only PS2 has sold 150+ millions units and if we add up X-Box's and GC's sale units, we end up with 195.6 million units that Shenmue could possibly go in. Compare that to DC's sales, that is 10.6 million units. Even with both X-Box's and DC's sales (= 34.1), that number is incomparable.
And at this point it seems that PS2 could have been the key console for Shenmue (just PS2 is 150+)...

The realistic part, of all the previous story, could be Shenmue being released to PS2/X-Box/GC after DC's discontinuing. But then they thought releasing it as an exclusive for X-Box would be a good idea and let us continue the saga at that console. But why X-Box and not PS2?

Just my real time thoughts and analysis.

P.S.: $ega kills Shenmue.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Shenmue would not be able to run on PS2. Xbox architecture was closer to DC. If you look at raw specs on paper you think why can't it? Just PS2 was to different of a machine and if a port was announced it would have been canned. Gamecube was easy to port to. PS2 with Shenmue could not work. Not because of power or anything. Just how the system is designed.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:55 pm

He wasn't talking about a port, but straight up designed FOR the PS2. It probably could have been done.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm

As much as I love DC and just Shenmue being the biggest reason I got a DC. I wonder if that's true it would have succeeded on PS2 but at the same time not sure. Dragon Quest 8,Okami did not. So hard to say
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AM2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Let's not forget how primitive(graphically) PS2 games from 2001 until 2005/2006 looked, so even if Shenmue 2 was built from the ground up for the Playstation 2 in that period, it wouldn't have looked better than the DC games. On paper the PS2 was more powerful, in reality the DC was its superior(Soul Calibur, anyone?)
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Life

Postby Rakim » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:39 pm

mue 26 wrote:
Rakim wrote:
Peter wrote: Starting to become clear that Suzuki knows nothing regarding Shenmue in this day and age. He is gone from Sega, who own the IP and any decision regarding its use. People looking for answers from the man are wasting their time. Sure he said last year, "i think Sega will let me make it".........

Really? Still waiting, but cool story bro.

Someone sounds bitter....

I can understand where Peter is coming from though. I mean, it's pretty evident that Yu has close to zero clout left at Sega now. I also get the feeling that he's done almost everything he can do himself now (or everything he feels comfortable doing anyway), he's played all his hands, he very probably has no "secret plans" he's working on, and as Sweaty put it, it really is up to us the fans to change the situation. I don't blame Yu though, he's a good man, he should have all the industry clout of a Miyamoto, but it just didn't work out that way...

SEGA is making great games and ones making them money. They have no reason to take a risk on a series that contributed heavily to their near going out of business

Everything in this sentance is contentious at the very least.

If only there was still some kind of Shenmue merch out there so we could pull a Family Guy and make them put it back on. I guess that's why the HD re-releases are so important.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 pm

I really find it hard to believe we will ever get SIII.

SEGA aren't going to give a guy who's not developed a console game in over 10 years the money to go and make a next gen game to a series that didn't sell well. They sold okay but I bet the numbers SEGA look at are those for SIIx as it was the last one. Yu may also only be in his 50's but they don't announce a game and it get's made that day. It's safe to say he isn't secretly working on this game and even if he got the go ahead it would be quite a few years until it's out. Everyday that goes by there is less chance of him making the game and I can't see anyone else picking it up.

If they released HD versions of the first two games they would need to do more than touch up the graphics. We all look at the games from a point of nostalgia but they haven't aged as great as some think. Simple stuff like the voice acting and controlling Ryo will put off a lot of people and get panned by reviews putting off even more potential buyers. Correcting this stuff will lead to raising the budget which will lower the profit margin on the game. I just can't see the HD versions selling enough to convince SEGA to make a third game.

It's really a tricky situation but the only way I can see it going well is if they remade the first two games for retail and they sold really well.

I'd also love to know what the hell Yu actually does from 9-5 during the week. I find it hard to believe his actually doing anything. There seems to be long periods of time where he has done or been working on nothing yet still holds some kind of job at SEGA. I imagine he just goes into his office and throws cards into a hat until 5 and drives home in his Ferrari.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Ziming » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm

^Yu Suzuki has the time to travel to Monaco and attend the recent MAGS show. That's a clear indication he's not doing anything.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 pm

lol at how the discontentment this thread has generated has spawned the usual rehash of bullshit financial graphs and debates about Shenmue's failure.

We're like a pack of hungry dogs who were getting excited from the aroma of a juicy stake in our nostrils, only to get thrown a meatless bone and start fighting amongst ourselves.

I swear, I'm actually gonna punch someone, anyone (probably myself), in the face next time I say that fecking graph posted again. It's like the staple weapon of choice for the frustrated Shenmue fan or lazy disgruntled gamer who's looking to piss off Shenmue fans.

Also can we please stop ragging on poor ol Yu for having a Ferrari. Wasn't it already proven to be a really shit Ferrari anyway :lol:

mue 26 has received 2 thanks from: Axm, lavrentis
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm

mue 26 wrote: lol at how the discontentment this thread has generated has spawned the usual rehash of bullshit financial graphs and debates about Shenmue's failure.

We're like a pack of hungry dogs who were getting excited from the aroma of a juicy stake in our nostrils, only to get thrown a meatless bone and start fighting amongst ourselves.

I swear, I'm actually gonna punch someone, anyone (probably myself), in the face next time I say that fecking graph posted again. It's like the staple weapon of choice for the frustrated Shenmue fan or lazy disgruntled gamer who's looking to piss off Shenmue fans.

Also can we please stop ragging on poor ol Yu for having a Ferrari. Wasn't it already proven to be a really shit Ferrari anyway :lol:

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:01 pm

I am curious what he has been doing though. I mean, he did make Shenmue City, but what has he been doing since then?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I am curious what he has been doing though. I mean, he did make Shenmue City, but what has he been doing since then?

Didn't he make a pirates IOS game?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I am curious what he has been doing though. I mean, he did make Shenmue City, but what has he been doing since then?

The things I like, Cars, motorcycles, clocks, wine, paintings, billiards... For some reason, video games aren't there. It's not that I don't like games, but I enjoy reality more, so I end up not having time to play games. However, I like making things. I most enjoy when I'm making something, as there are always discoveries.

Maybe making cars, motorcycles and clocks, doing a spot painting, and playing billiards with a glass of wine in hand? Yu knows how to live.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates