Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby Giorgio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Peter wrote: Starting to become clear that Suzuki knows nothing regarding Shenmue in this day and age. He is gone from Sega, who own the IP and any decision regarding its use. People looking for answers from the man are wasting their time. [...]

Until the time that they will #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense (or they will make the game = fiction), do not buy any game from $ega...
(You can not take seriously the previous proposition, but...)

After reading all the previous (relevant for what I am going to say) comments, I think we have lost some faith for Yu Suzuki's character/personality/intentions...

I do not want to believe that Shenmue will end up like Alex Kidd, without a (true!) sequel...

And, oh, $ega takes advantage of both Ryo and Alex Kidd, in some racing games ...they do that just because they want to attract some moneys from Shenmue fans [because of Ryo (and that is why they still keep us inside the cave), and some from totally nostalgic Alex Kidd fans et cetera]? Rhetorical question, I suppose...
Last edited by Giorgio on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Rakim » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Peter wrote: Starting to become clear that Suzuki knows nothing regarding Shenmue in this day and age. He is gone from Sega, who own the IP and any decision regarding its use. People looking for answers from the man are wasting their time. Sure he said last year, "i think Sega will let me make it".........

Really? Still waiting, but cool story bro.

Someone sounds bitter....
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Its called realistic.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Peter wrote:Its called realistic.

:P I call it frustration. If Shenmue fans were truly realistic we would have abandoned SD long ago knowing the series is dead and let it fade into obscurity. Problem with fighting for something is 99.9% of the time it's disappointment and when fighting for so long at times frustration sets in and sets in hard. Still we catch our breath and fight some more.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Raj! » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Interesting, the waiting game continues. I remember Mark Cerny(who is the lead architect for PS4) interviewing Yu Suzuki in 2011 at GDC. When Mark came out at the PS meeting, I thought to myself that hopefully Yu and Mark are good or became good friends after GDC and Sony/Sega/Yu Suzuki can work something out...
Raj!
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Stocke » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Rakim wrote: Someone sounds bitter....

It's been over a decade. I don't blame him.
I'm bitter as hell.

Stocke has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:15 am

MAGS official Facebook has mentioned this "revelation" at least twice. Despite it being a quote taken out of context, they seem to be quite proud of hosting Yu as creator of Shenmue and birthing a brand new Shenmue rumor (which has spread like wildfire). They just updated again, dedicating a whole post to the crowd-funding rumor. I wonder if Yu Suzuki even had any idea what that dude was talking about. Still, kudos to him for asking two sensible questions, even though we may not be over the moon about the answers.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 am

Same with Kotaku, they got a headline up about Shenmue III and everyone is jumping for joy. Ahhh so funny
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am

I wonder if we can get one of these outlets to try and get a word out of Sega. I'm sure at most it would yield a dumb ass comment like "Har har derrrr we love our fanz and appreciate your passion about Shen moo, derp". I just wish there was something we could do that might have some effect, while this rumor is hot and people are talking about it. The response is kind of incredible....imagine the response when something actually DOES happen.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:32 am

Unless it hits the front page of IGN then I wouldn't say it's an incredible response. I'm sure Sega is aware of the interview...well at least some of the employees are. I have this feeling that Sega would do the Shenmue I and II HD collection without his consent. They do own the IP and license so they have no reason to ask for permission
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:36 am

Hey, did Kenji @ Shenmue Master ever snag that one-on-one with Suzuki at MAGS? Ziming, have you heard from him?

Last time they spoke we at least got a few tiny nuggets relating to the story. The interview was super brief but Kenji asked some nice questions that haven't been asked before.

Also, IGN's opinion is just a drop in the river. They commented on the Shenmue HD rumors (which were a bust anyway) and I don't think they have much pull in the gaming media anymore. Still, there's the additional exposure the story would get but I don't think the people who give two shits about Shenmue rely solely on IGN or Gamespot for their gaming news anymore.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 am

Yeah, wouldnt you think that if someone has dinner with 'em, that we'd get a more candid response from suzuki?

Edit: typing shenmue into google, pops up a whole bunch of media outlets that quote him saying he would fund shenmue III via kickstarter. Ahh how misinformed are they?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:16 am

rdk_nl wrote: 2nd part of my videos, the most interesting I believe:

http://youtu.be/8zbEmRLrhJE

Thank you for the videos. I'll summarize what Yu Suzuki said about Shenmue in Japanese as directly as possible. So, forgive me if some part would not sound natural for English.

*He named Virtua Fighter as the most memorable game of all his games, for he had to go through various hardships while making it. And, he added "Shenmue as well" at the end of the answer.

*He admitted that he regrets Shenmue III hasn't been made yet.

*He has no concrete plans for the next generation consoles, but he'd like to do something for them.

*About "the crowd-funding," he plainly said "there's such possibility," showing no particular interest.

*He wants to make Shenmue III for sure, if a good partner is found. He used the same phrase twice; "if circumstances allow." He's glad that French fans are still talking about Shenmue a lot.
Last edited by Kiyuu on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby SeppukoPanda » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:23 am

Thank you for doing a direct translation like that.
SeppukoPanda
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:09 am

The flurry of lazy reporting on a range of sites is super frustrating. It makes you wonder how reliable their other stories are, when they clearly have no journalistic leanings whatsoever. Quoting a few tweets from someone who's paid to hype an interview, when the comments he's paraphrasing would themselves become available within a few hours, is a clear sign of caring more about being first to the presses than whether or not the information they're spreading is accurate. Truly shameful.

Lan Di-sama wrote: Hey, did Kenji @ Shenmue Master ever snag that one-on-one with Suzuki at MAGS? Ziming, have you heard from him?

Last time they spoke we at least got a few tiny nuggets relating to the story. The interview was super brief but Kenji asked some nice questions that haven't been asked before.

He got the interview, we just have to wait for the video to be ready. Shenmue Master have the decency to let Yu's comments speak for themselves without trying to exaggerate them in advance.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates