Yu Suzuki revisits Shenmue at GDC 2014 (Postmortem)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki revisits Shenmue at GDC 2014 (Postmortem)

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:21 pm

^It's probably the Ryo Hazuki DLC for Sega All Stars Racing Transformed, right?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Would he be needed for that? They just used existing audio from Shenmue for the last game.

He has done other videogame work since Shenmue, if I remember his interviews correctly. There was something new he was plugging, I think it was a game, but I can't remember what it was called.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Hmm, you never know, they may have decided to actually hire him this time instead of hacking into Shenmue's voice files and using those, lol. Anyway, it's just a theory on my part, could go either way, I just remember something about him pointing at something Shenmue related in a Tweet or something whilst he was doing a recording? I do recall him saying he's working on a game project as a voice actor, I don't think he actually revealed what that was though during the interview with SEGABits. We'll find out soon anyway, I think.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby darksniper » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Think about it if you were in Sega's perspective. You'd want to keep anything Shenmue related as tight lipped as possible. Time has proven that Shenmue is Sega's most valuable IP at this moment and they're completely aware of it. Imagine if you knew Shenmue III was in the works but you signed a sheet of paper not to say anything about it. I would only imagine how hard that would be not to say anything. Even Sega reps and the creator of the game can barely keep their mouth shut about it.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby badamn » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:47 pm

It's been a long time since iv'e looked forward to anything.A shenmue 3 announcement would consume me.It's only right…we built this industry.

badamn has received a thanks from: mue 26
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mue 26 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:17 pm

badamn wrote: A shenmue 3 announcement would consume me.It's only right…we built this industry.

Yama, put this shit on the banner. Strong post Badaman, strong post.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: badamn
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:33 am

I have thought about this a lot, and I feel that this is kinda a last chance thing for a long long time. I am very positive about this event (I mean why dissect Shenmue now, plus what if that woman was right about that photo earlier in the year, about Suzuki and Derby discussing Shenmue 3 tactics). It all makes sense, but if nothing comes from this, I think I will feel the most deflated I will i have ever felt about the future of Shenmue.

I will be sure to get this date off work and males secure the highest speed internet I can find to watch this live. Not only will I be excited but I will be equally nervous as this will be it, once and for all. Also if its not too much trouble, could someone list all the positive things said about Shenmue in the past year or so? Just to keep the optimism alive, and logic as to why we credibly feel this could reignite the franchise. Like list the key comments from Sony, Derby and You at GDC last year etc. I'd really appreciate it.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:44 am

Peter wrote:I have thought about this a lot, and I feel that this is kinda a last chance thing for a long long time. I am very positive about this event (I mean why dissect Shenmue now, plus what if that woman was right about that photo earlier in the year, about Suzuki and Derby discussing Shenmue 3 tactics). It all makes sense, but if nothing comes from this, I think I will feel the most deflated I will i have ever felt about the future of Shenmue.

Dont get disappointed if this doesnt pan out into a new announcement right away. I'm not putting all my eggs into this basket personally. I have high hopes but I look at this as a huge positive to our chances regardless. Shenmue and Yu Suzuki will undoubtably be in the news on sites like Kotaku, Sony heads will turn, Sega heads will turn, everyone will acknowledge it and see what a grand thing Shenmue is/was. This is huge publicity for the cause. Maybe even Yu Suzuki will stop being so modest and pour his heart out about how much he'd like to continue the series. We'll just have to wait and see whats in store for us.
Like I said though either way, we win for this event existing in the first place.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:04 am

Peter, all that seems to be sticking in my mind is the fact that Sony talked about possibly wanting Shenmue. Then out of nowhere Cerny and Suzuki plan to have a retrospective on Shenmue. Why now of all times? Or you could ask "why wait until march to just talk about old Shenmue?" I usually don't get my hopes up too high for these things, but there has to be something that comes out of this. Not sure what, but it has to be something related.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Peter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:27 am

I think the same Shozo, but take a minute to think about what you just said, but we have just watched the postmortem and there was no announcement. For me, thats the biggest setback Shenmue will have ever seen. Worse than the Kikizo article. I know what Axm is saying, but considering all that is concerned with the status of Shenmue in the past 10 years, we have had more than enough publicity. This is the first Shenmue orientated event in the west since..... Well I don't know.... The release of Shenmue 2 in Europe? If there is now announcement at this, then what's the point of having it and then announcing something a week. A month or even a year later.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:08 am

Yeah I feel exactly the same way as you. If there is nothing I may lose all hope.. Or I might have a sliver of optimism that right after the disappointment there may be some backlash which may spark something. That's just a last ditch effort, but I doubt it would bring about anything if the postmortem event fails to give us anything concrete to go on.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:13 am

A lot of people seem to overlook the fact that it was GDC management's idea for Cerny to be the translator. It's not like Mark and Yu went looking for a venue to talk about Shenmue together. The event organizers may have been the ones who suggested the postmortem itself to Yu, though of course we don't know that - but it's their job to book interesting events that will sell tickets, and they believe Yu's talk is interesting enough to announce earlier than any others they may have lined up.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Yama
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:29 am

Now, even if they decide to make a third game aren't we still at least a year or two away from them even announcing that the game is in production?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:30 am

LGS, then who's decision is it to have this in the first place? Is it legal for Suzuki to speak about Shenmue even though he is no longer employed by Sega? Surely images, videos and music will be used in a public manner is that all not to be OKed by Sega? Since this is a public event?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:46 am

Sega probably does have to OK it, but why would they say no? It costs them nothing and poses no threat to their current business.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates