Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:57 pm

ShenSun wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: Yeah, Segata can get in.

Awesome. What questions is Segata going to ask? Assuming there is a QNA session.

Yeah, pretty much everything there has a Q&A as far as I'm aware. Not sure what he'd ask. Hopefully it'd be along the lines of hiring me. I'll probably end up giving him a list for him to ignore anyway.

chris1986 wrote: I think now is the best time, I mean, there is absolutely no point in giving a Shenmue postmortem 13 odd years after the game's release, because in all honesty, who's going to give a shit (apart from the fans of course) ?

Game Title | Release Date | GDC Postmortem Date

Bejeweled | 2010 | 2011
Crystal Castles | 1983 | 2013
Doom | 1993 | 2011
Elite | 1984 | 2011
Fallout | 1997 | 2012
Fez | 2012 | 2012
Gauntlet | 1985 | 2012
Goldeneye 007 | 1997 | 2012
Harvest Moon | 1996 | 2012
Jetpack Joyride | 2011 | 2012
Maniac Mansion | 1987 | 2011
Marble Madness | 1984 | 2011
Myst | 1993 | 2013
Out of Another World/Out of this World | 1991 | 2011
Pac-Man | 1980 | 2011
Pinball Construction Set | 1983 | 2013
Pitfall! | 1982 | 2011
Populous | 1989 | 2011
Prince of Persia | 1989 | 2011
Raid on Bungeling Bay | 1984 | 2011
Robotron: 2084 | 1982 | 2014
Shenmue | 1999 | 2014
Ultima Online | 1997 | 2012
X-Com: UFO Defense | 1994 | 2013
Zork | 1977 | 2014
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:23 pm

chris1986 wrote:if Shenmue is to have been discontinued then let it be ffs, just don't give a 1 hour speech with a PS4 game producer called Mark and getting people's hopes up for fuck all basically.

I knew all of this but it took you actually stating it that way for me to appreciate the importance of who is doing the interviewing. Thank you!

Anyway, I had hoped for an announcement last week when @Playstation or whoever was teasing a week of announcements. But it turned out to be a week of weak announcements imo. I just don't care about 95% of the mainstream games anymore because they all seem like carbon copies of each other. I also can't help but feel like someone would leak the announcement if one were on the horizon, but maybe people are gun-shy about publishing Shenmue development.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ziming » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Microsoft's Phil Spencer brings up Shenmue twice during his interview with Geoff Keighley. At 7:40min and 18:07.

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby blacktorn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 pm

chris1986 wrote: I think now is the best time, I mean, there is absolutely no point in giving a Shenmue postmortem 13 odd years after the game's release, because in all honesty, who's going to give a shit (apart from the fans of course) ?

Exactly, the answer says it all, the fans are the only one's who will be interested in this scenario, so to give us this postmortem or whatever is pointless unless something new is in the works, if Shenmue is to have been discontinued then let it be ffs, just don't give a 1 hour speech with a PS4 game producer called Mark and getting people's hopes up for fuck all basically.

so I'll tell you this, if the outcome of this build up of excitement leads to nothing, then they can all go and fuck themselves really and truthfully, if on the other hand we do get what we're after, then horray, well done, get on with it and do a smashing job.

They didn't just arrange this for a shenmue event for this years GDC,The classic game postmortem is an established event at GDC and they have been doing these for years,according to the website this year there is also a postmortem of Zork and Robotron 2084,you could say the same thing,why do a Zork postmortem after all these years if there isn't going to be a squeal?

GDC is about developers learning and sharing about the creation of games,this year they decided to include shenmue,it has as much to do with announcing a squeal as much as you would expect a squeal to zork.

Don't get me wrong,people who have grown up with shenmue as apart of there lives wish and hope that for some reason at this event it's going to lead to the expansion of the shenmue saga,but we have to put these GDC postmortems in perspective,there is a high probability that this is all going to lead nowhere and Yu is just going to discuss the development of shenmue for the dreamcast,which in itself will be interested i guess...

blacktorn has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mue 26 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:09 pm

ShenSun wrote: haven't seen you on the forums lately mue. how's things going?

Hey man. Yeah, I don't really have much time these days (due to uni and stuff), but I am still about. I'm also still mourning the departure of LGS and his sublime wit. I hope your recovering nicely, Sun.

blacktorn wrote: stuff

You're being the definition of a dogmatic Shenmue fan here, with stuff like: "if it doesn't get announced next week I will forever give up" and "30 million dollar project" ect.

Guess what: Shenmue 3 very probably won't get announced next week, and if (when) it does get made, it very probably won't have 30 million dollar production values. You don't have to be so all or nothing, blacktorn.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 pm

mue 26 wrote:

Hey man. Yeah, I don't really have much time these days (due to uni and stuff), but I am still about. I'm also still mourning the departure of LGS and his sublime wit. I hope your recovering nicely, Sun.

Thanks man. I'm recovering nicely. There's certainly still a few bumps in the road, but im getting there.

This time last year, I was super stressed with University exams etc. The next few months are going to be tough, but you'll be fine.

What happened to LGS? Haven't seen him in a while either.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Hang on, he actually left?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Messiah » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 am

Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California) Midnight between Tuesday, March 18, 2014 and Wednesday, March 19, 2014 PDT UTC-7 hours

London (United Kingdom - England) Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 7:00:00 AM GMT UTC
Messiah
Dojo Ghost
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenSun » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 am

Messiah wrote: Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California) Midnight between Tuesday, March 18, 2014 and Wednesday, March 19, 2014 PDT UTC-7 hours

London (United Kingdom - England) Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 7:00:00 AM GMT UTC

Im in the UK. Is it really 7AM? I have to get up super early for this one. :)

I sincerely hope Let's Get Sweaty hasn't left. Him, Mue, and the other members of TeamYu are the main reason Shenmue is brought up so much in the gaming media. #SaveLetsGetSweaty. :(
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:39 am

No he is way off. On 19th March, 2PM PDT is 9PM on 19th March GMT
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby blacktorn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am

mue 26 wrote:

You're being the definition of a dogmatic Shenmue fan here, with stuff like: "if it doesn't get announced next week I will forever give up" and "30 million dollar project" ect.

Guess what: Shenmue 3 very probably won't get announced next week, and if (when) it does get made, it very probably won't have 30 million dollar production values. You don't have to be so all or nothing, blacktorn.

I guess you could say im a realist at heart,to be honest with you i all but forgotten mostly about shenmue (i don't even play video games any more) but whilst browsing on the web all the recent news about shenmue then i started to become interested again and even logged into this website the first time since many years.

Yeah i don't really like to be pessimistic about all this but when you've had your hopes and dreams crushed so many times over the last decade then isn't it kinda hard to rekindle that sort of hope once more?

What's funny is that i remember getting Shenmue II as a Christmas present in 2001 (im from the uk so we actually got shenmue II for the dreamcast :D ) and as a 11 year old kid the experience was so amazing that as a teenager i was always hoping,discussing and dreaming about the next instalment.

Then came the announcement of shenmue online which i was super stocked about,not realising how it could of turned out,but just the fact it was shenmue related got me super pumped...err then it got cancelled silently and then the long silence began...

Then there was the weird shenmue Gai/city,ok i got excited again after all those years about another (seemingly not so great) shenmue related release,then it got cancelled before it even got translated/released for the west.

So from being the age of 11 until now at 24 that's one heck of a long time to still be wishing on something happening after all the let downs and failed endeavour.

So im holding out one last time on the backs of all the recent news and announcements that something is actually going to push forward next week,yes it doesn't mean that if nothing is announced it doesn't mean nothing can happen in the future,but i will not be actively participating in any shenmue related discussions or petitions or anything if nothing comes to fruition next week,just how i feel as someone who has been so utterly disappointed in the past with getting his hopes up for nothing.

But i do still care about Shenmue more than any other franchise,video game related or anything else,because even though i almost totally forgotten about shenmue for years just the slightest bit of news brings back so many memories and excitement that i guess i will always stay a shenmue fan,in the end the long wait could actually benefit the series as if and when it does get a reboot then it will be a fresh experience and wouldn't be down played on it's past failures,also lets say it's released for the ps4 like the rumours are pointing too then just like watching the beta footage of shenmue for the saturn compared to the dreamcast,it's going to dramatically improve the experience.

After all there's only going to be one last shot at releasing shenmue so if after all this waiting it actually turns out to make Shenmue that much more immersive then i guess the wait has been worth it,but to quote you before,the $30 million estimate i gave you is actually a small/minimum amount for a video game these days (according to a Mark Cerny interview i watched on youtube),so even though that sounds like alot,in modern day game development that's the ball park figure needed to get a decent game out.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:16 am

So OPM's "series of massive significance" was Batman Arkham Knight. Figures they'd do that. A new game in an ongoing series isn't "significant." Fans may be happy to have another game but that doesn't make it have significance. Significance to me means it should have been a long shot release or a game that was unexpected. Oh well.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby bez87 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:43 pm

blacktorn wrote:
mue 26 wrote:

I guess you could say im a realist at heart,to be honest with you i all but forgotten mostly about shenmue (i don't even play video games any more) but whilst browsing on the web all the recent news about shenmue then i started to become interested again and even logged into this website the first time since many years.

Yeah i don't really like to be pessimistic about all this but when you've had your hopes and dreams crushed so many times over the last decade then isn't it kinda hard to rekindle that sort of hope once more?

What's funny is that i remember getting Shenmue II as a Christmas present in 2001 (im from the uk so we actually got shenmue II for the dreamcast :D ) and as a 11 year old kid the experience was so amazing that as a teenager i was always hoping,discussing and dreaming about the next instalment.

Then came the announcement of shenmue online which i was super stocked about,not realising how it could of turned out,but just the fact it was shenmue related got me super pumped...err then it got cancelled silently and then the long silence began...

Then there was the weird shenmue Gai/city,ok i got excited again after all those years about another (seemingly not so great) shenmue related release,then it got cancelled before it even got translated/released for the west.

So from being the age of 11 until now at 24 that's one heck of a long time to still be wishing on something happening after all the let downs and failed endeavour.

So im holding out one last time on the backs of all the recent news and announcements that something is actually going to push forward next week,yes it doesn't mean that if nothing is announced it doesn't mean nothing can happen in the future,but i will not be actively participating in any shenmue related discussions or petitions or anything if nothing comes to fruition next week,just how i feel as someone who has been so utterly disappointed in the past with getting his hopes up for nothing.

But i do still care about Shenmue more than any other franchise,video game related or anything else,because even though i almost totally forgotten about shenmue for years just the slightest bit of news brings back so many memories and excitement that i guess i will always stay a shenmue fan,in the end the long wait could actually benefit the series as if and when it does get a reboot then it will be a fresh experience and wouldn't be down played on it's past failures,also lets say it's released for the ps4 like the rumours are pointing too then just like watching the beta footage of shenmue for the saturn compared to the dreamcast,it's going to dramatically improve the experience.

After all there's only going to be one last shot at releasing shenmue so if after all this waiting it actually turns out to make Shenmue that much more immersive then i guess the wait has been worth it,but to quote you before,the $30 million estimate i gave you is actually a small/minimum amount for a video game these days (according to a Mark Cerny interview i watched on youtube),so even though that sounds like alot,in modern day game development that's the ball park figure needed to get a decent game out.

I'm actually in the same boat I still have my dreamcast and both Shenmue's boxed sitting there waiting for the time I can replay the games for the third one, but over time i've gotten used to being hyped and then let down, I know more than likely nothing is going to happen, but you know this past few months and last year something has happened which has never happened before, there have been more magazines more interviews more speculation than ever before, and with mark cerny and Yu being so close (to the person who said he was just a developer, he creator the PS4 he has alot more say than you think and KNACK wasn't a massive flop it actually sold really well.) Shenmue would fit Sony's image completely with varied titles like they do, I mean Sony have been funding Team Ico for over 5years they haven't even produced anything since the PS2 era. It's very logical and not out of reach that this could happen, and for one last time I to am holding onto hope but after this i think i'll put shenmue to the back of my mind and carry on my gaming hobby like i always have done. but this is probably the one game i dream of becoming true more than anything else. i mean to this day shenmue 2 holds up against any game out there, it doesn't feel dated at all.

Out of every else tho it be nice to see the backbones of shenmue at the conference, whether we have news or not.
bez87
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby chris1986 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:34 pm

blacktorn wrote:

Exactly, the answer says it all, the fans are the only one's who will be interested in this scenario, so to give us this postmortem or whatever is pointless unless something new is in the works, if Shenmue is to have been discontinued then let it be ffs, just don't give a 1 hour speech with a PS4 game producer called Mark and getting people's hopes up for fuck all basically.

so I'll tell you this, if the outcome of this build up of excitement leads to nothing, then they can all go and fuck themselves really and truthfully, if on the other hand we do get what we're after, then horray, well done, get on with it and do a smashing job.

They didn't just arrange this for a shenmue event for this years GDC,The classic game postmortem is an established event at GDC and they have been doing these for years,according to the website this year there is also a postmortem of Zork and Robotron 2084,you could say the same thing,why do a Zork postmortem after all these years if there isn't going to be a squeal?

GDC is about developers learning and sharing about the creation of games,this year they decided to include shenmue,it has as much to do with announcing a squeal as much as you would expect a squeal to zork.

Don't get me wrong,people who have grown up with shenmue as apart of there lives wish and hope that for some reason at this event it's going to lead to the expansion of the shenmue saga,but we have to put these GDC postmortems in perspective,there is a high probability that this is all going to lead nowhere and Yu is just going to discuss the development of shenmue for the dreamcast,which in itself will be interested i guess...

Ok, thanks for explaining that, although I already knew this whole event isn't done specially for shenmue, i did know that much, but i didn't know these 'postmortems' were many times for other old games, but anyway, I think the reason is because it being done with this Mark Cerny bloke, who's the real deal, but if Yu Suzuki is involved with these big fish, who are all about making money, even if they do make Shenmue 3, how faithful will they be to the originals, and how much of a role will Yu suzuki play in the creation, because the one's with the power and money will obviously make things go their way.

anyway, i guess we probably won't get a shenmue 3 announcement, it's just a slim chance, plus i never really expected Yu Suzuki to be the type to hold back on info for this long, im sure if he was in the process of making the game he'd have announced it already, but who knows? we can only wait and see i suppose.
chris1986
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby blacktorn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:29 pm

bez87 wrote:I'm actually in the same boat I still have my dreamcast and both Shenmue's boxed sitting there waiting for the time I can replay the games for the third one, but over time i've gotten used to being hyped and then let down, I know more than likely nothing is going to happen, but you know this past few months and last year something has happened which has never happened before, there have been more magazines more interviews more speculation than ever before, and with mark cerny and Yu being so close (to the person who said he was just a developer, he creator the PS4 he has alot more say than you think and KNACK wasn't a massive flop it actually sold really well.) Shenmue would fit Sony's image completely with varied titles like they do, I mean Sony have been funding Team Ico for over 5years they haven't even produced anything since the PS2 era. It's very logical and not out of reach that this could happen, and for one last time I to am holding onto hope but after this i think i'll put shenmue to the back of my mind and carry on my gaming hobby like i always have done. but this is probably the one game i dream of becoming true more than anything else. i mean to this day shenmue 2 holds up against any game out there, it doesn't feel dated at all.

Out of every else tho it be nice to see the backbones of shenmue at the conference, whether we have news or not.

Mark helped out in creating the hardware of the ps4,more as an adviser to Sony,he didn't create it just gave his opinion on what would be a better fit for the ps4,I feel like people are over estimating Mark's power and i don't know how Knack sold (perhaps provide a link saying so?) but i know from a reviews stand point Knack was mediocre at best,i don't think bad reviews lead to a game selling well,maybe because it was a launch title and people have limited choices for games so it was able to shift a decent amount of copies?

But yeah i hope Yu get's into the technical side of what it took to create shenmue,it would be interesting to know also how it ended up being the most expensive game to produce for over a decade.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates