Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby BlueMue » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:43 am

That Batman game... I don't know if we just get our hopes too high when the say something like they did there or if they deliberately try to mock us with such statements. Oh well, I'm not really disappointed here but I find it annoying what unintersting und absolutely not surprising junk it turned out to be.

At least that Apollo 13 video was pure gold. :lol:
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Podshibin » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:50 am

I'll watch this live for sure!

But, guys, be realists - announcement is very unlikely. It's just too big for such small event. I think we won't hear anything like that in next few years. But may be someday :-k
I'll keep waiting (since '02).
Podshibin
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:58 am

That's what I think, it's not a hype enough venue for a Shenmue announcement. If there ever was going to be one, you'd think it would be at E3 or something, just to make the most of it.

I wonder if Yu knows the kind of crazy expectations he now has on his shoulders going in to this event. Kudos to GDC for not missing a trick and orchestrating this event in such a way to generate this kind hype and milk our emotions.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby blacktorn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Well unless he teases something could be announce at e3 or a later date i wouldn't hold your breathe.

The last time he was at the gdc with mark in 2011 (how ironic we are all getting excited for this meeting with mark when they have actually done this before lol) when mark got straight to the point and asked what's up with shenmue 3 Yu eventually said "i think sega will let me make it",so we will have to see if 3 years later Sega gave the nod to Yu to just get it done already and maybe he's been working on it for a few years now?

3 days to go now... \:D/
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Hopefully someone will ask about the possibility of hd remakes and what the holdup is on them. If we don't get a modern way for new gamers to play the originals I don't see a justifiable reason that sega will have to continue he series. They can't get pumped to find and potentially kill Lan Di if all they know of the story is a flashback. And if they do release the originals and don't say up front "we're just releasing them for the fans and there is no way we'll make a third" I think there's a good chance the third will follow.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:26 pm

I swear, the fact that downloadable re-releases of the games still haven't materialized is one of the biggest crimes in the modern era of gaming. And don't give me all this crap about out of date fucking plug-ins. That is horse shit. It's not that hard for Sega to at least do that much.

The next few months are going to be tough, but you'll be fine.

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

I sincerely hope Let's Get Sweaty hasn't left. Him, Mue, and the other members of TeamYu are the main reason Shenmue is brought up so much in the gaming media. #SaveLetsGetSweaty. :(

Haha, yeah the guy is a ledge. He may not be on the dojo right now, but he's still doing what he does on facebook and all that.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby blacktorn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:35 pm

To be honest with you i think releasing the originals in this day 'n age would actually have more of a negative impact on shenmue than positive,they would be rated poorly and everyone will complain about the controls,voice acting ect.

Yes the atmosphere,characters and the fact that there isn't quite anything else out there like shenmue are to it's credit,but take the entire package as a whole and i think it's a tough sell to release the originals untouched in 2014 and then expect it to drive demand for the 3rd.

They need to totally reboot the series,which means remaking the entire 6 chapters of the first 2 games.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mue 26 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:54 pm

I don't think reviews would be any worse than when it initially came out. It's like any older classic, some elements are dated, but the experience still remains unique and fascinating. In fact, as the games main charms are non-mechanical or gamey, and more atmospheric, the game has aged well in my opinion. saying that re-releasing them will have a negative impact is total nonsense. There are so many people who would love the game, but who aren't willing to spank like over 100 quid on a DC and the two games.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Radar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 am

I wish Yu Suzuki could answer more clearly about Shenmue III. Why there's no Shenmue 3 for more then 10 years? What is current situation with Shenmue III? What needs to be done in order to make Shenmue III, what kind of problems must be resolved? How Fans can help with it? I know it might sound offensive and there's probably something that SEGA don't want him to talk about, but we still didn't get a CLEAR and OFFICIAL answer from him and it's really been a long time..
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 am

blacktorn wrote: To be honest with you i think releasing the originals in this day 'n age would actually have more of a negative impact on shenmue than positive,they would be rated poorly and everyone will complain about the controls,voice acting ect.

I think it's more about adding people to the loud fanbase Shenmue has. If they release a game and people play it for the first time they'll have more squawking for a conclusion.

mue 26 wrote:the game has aged well in my opinion. saying that re-releasing them will have a negative impact is total nonsense.

I completely agree. When you look at the textures and animations they remind me more of a PS3/360 game than a PS2/Xbox game. It's aged fantastically. The Dreamcast was years ahead of the other consoles and Shenmue is a perfect example of why. It makes me wonder just how great HD remakes would be. Which brings me to my next point.

I was listening to an interview from SegaNerds with Corey Marshall and late in the interview they mentioned those pictures of him by a Sega sign and then another of him in a recording studio. He responded that it was his way of letting his fans know he was getting back into voice acting after a break while he was raising his daughter. He was quick to say he couldn't give details because of a non-disclosure agreement but he said it wasn't Shenmue 3. I know others have probably speculated this but, is there a chance they're doing a reboot?

I'll be a little disappointed if they do a reboot because that means they'll surely have to compress the game's 16 chapters. But I really shouldn't complain if they go that route because I want a conclusion. We already have chapters 1, (2 is on the boat), 3, 4 and 5 they could do an HD remake spanning 1-5 with maybe three extra chapters and then release the final installment spanning chapters 6-11. So we would have two new games Shenmue Part 1(chapters 1-8) and Shenmue Part 2(chapters 9-16). That's the best idea I can come up with to bring in new gamers and satisfy the core fans.
All that to say the probability of any of this happening is still slim to none, but I always like to stay positive. And if they can't make a game I wish we could kickstart it to at least get a manga conclusion.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Stocke » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Anybody else going to be in the dojo's live chat while the postmortem is on? It would be nice to get a discussion going there.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby blacktorn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm sorry but to say that shenmue compares to titles released on the ps3/360 is just blind fanboism,shenmue has not aged well and only the fans would say otherwise (why lie to yourself?),take heavy rain or beyond two souls or uncharted,2/3,shenmue is in no way comparable to modern titles and to say otherwise is delusional.

Also for the love for all that is good in this world do not let Corey Marshall do the english Voice over for Ryo again,HE WAS TERRIBLE!,ok you might have fond memories of the series with his voice but lets get real please,shenmue's english voice acting is up there with the worst in gaming history,one of the main reasons for thas is apparently most of the npc's/pedestrians were actually Japanese people doing 10's of different voice overs for the different people.

Lan di's voice wasn't too bad maybe get the guy who played him back :P
Last edited by blacktorn on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Surge101 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 pm

blacktorn wrote: I'm sorry but to say that shenmue compares to titles released on the ps3/360 is just blind fanboism,shenmue has not aged well and only the fans would say otherwise (why lie to yourself?),take heavy rain or beyond two souls or uncharted,2/3,shenmue is in no way comparable to modern titles and to say otherwise is delusional.

Also for the love for all that is good in this world do not let Corey Marshall do the english Voice over for Ryo again,HE WAS TERRIBLE!,ok you might have fond memories of the series with his voice but lets get real please,shenmue's english voice acting is up there with the worst in gaming history,one of the main reasons for thas is apparently most of the npc's/pedestrians were actually Japanese people doing 10's of different voice overs for the different people.

Lan di's voice wasn't too bad many get the guy who played him back :P

I think it's aged well. Maybe not a 360 looking game, but it could probably pass as a Wii game. and Ryo just wouldn't be Ryo for me without Marshall now.
Surge101
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:33 pm

blacktorn wrote: I'm sorry but to say that shenmue compares to titles released on the ps3/360 is just blind fanboism,shenmue has not aged well and only the fans would say otherwise (why lie to yourself?),take heavy rain or beyond two souls or uncharted,2/3,shenmue is in no way comparable to modern titles and to say otherwise is delusional.

Lan di's voice wasn't too bad many get the guy who played him back :P

Maybe I did let my fanboyism get the best of me. I really meant it was that on the graphical spectrum it was closer to the graphics of PS3/360 than PS2/Xbox. But I do believe the game has held up very well graphically. And although Corey Marshall does have a special place in my heart he probably wouldn't be the best choice to reprise the role. The voice acting in Shenmue was really bad. That "Hey mister, let's play soccer," kid comes to mind.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby blacktorn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Right,i mean it wouldn't ruin the entire experience if he did reprise his role as Ryo but i think We (and shenmue) deserve's better.

The thing is when shenmue was released in '00 it was unheard of for a game to feature full dialogue voice acting so even though the voice acting was pretty bad it was overlook by the fact of what a technological marvel it was that it had so much spoken dialogue,but if you look at the reviews of old you will see it was even scrutinised back then regardless of the wow factor that it brought about.

Now imagine releasing a reboot or like i said before why it's a bad idea just to re-release the originals in this day 'n age,it would be an absolute joke and it would get so much bad press and negativity that this is the reason i think it would do shenmue much more harm long time than good.

Ok us fans would love to replay the originals on modern platforms but the fanbase of shenmue is no where near big enough to be able to make this endeavour worthwhile financially for YU/SEGA/SONY,it needs a COMPLETE overhaul.Start everything from scratch (except the story of course,the soundtrack also as it's the best out there imo).

However my idea was that maybe they could include the original titles in with the reboot,say unlocked after you beat the game so at least it gives players and old fans a way to play the originals,but don't just release the old titles as-is and expect that to help the cause for shenmue 3,it would do the opposite.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates