Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Probably talk about how he and other Japanese developers are moving to mobile :dunno:
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby C.. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Do they see that as being a successful thing to do? I can't say anything because I lack the knowledge behind any video game developement but some of you may know.

I can't see the future being mobile gaming.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 pm

The future of financial gain is mobile. The future of gaming is - and always will be - home consoles. Like I've said in the past, mobile's just replacing arcade. Snappy games you can go on for five or ten minutes. You can't play a game on the level of Titanfall on a small touchscreen.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby C.. » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:42 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:The future of financial gain is mobile. The future of gaming is - and always will be - home consoles. Like I've said in the past, mobile's just replacing arcade. Snappy games you can go on for five or ten minutes. You can't play a game on the level of Titanfall on a small touchscreen.

How much would they earn in the arcade sales vs mobile? to hazard a guess Id imagine they would have so many orders from different arcades around the world and if their game was popular and had lots of people playing it, like what Yu said in the GDC panel if people could play for longer than two to three minutes or something like that or if they had that number of minutes down that was successful.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:08 am

I probably should've made it clear that I meant the Freemium Mobile model. Turnover is much higher in comparison. Unless we get into the gambling side of things, but that's not really our side of the gaming industry.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby C.. » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:29 pm

It's such a shame that they are wasted on services like that when we could have amazing games and shenmue 3.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:36 pm

I honestly don't have a problem with it. There are a lot of games I don't like that use that business model, but there are a lot of games that I just generally don't like anyway. Plus, they're safer bets for developers. Studios tend not to be too smart with money, which is why a lot of em go bust (then let the publisher look like the bad guy), so if everyone went all out on huge, epic games, then a modern video game market crash would indeed happen.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:52 pm

I think the problem most people(edit: well it's probably just my main problem) have with mobile games is micro-transactions and how they're spilling over into non-mobile games. It'd me like if they sold a move scroll in Shenmue for 99 cents. Of course they also are quick to tell you that you can unlock it without paying anything......by playing 37 straight hours of lucky hit.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gangsta Ren » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:46 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: I think the problem most people(edit: well it's probably just my main problem) have with mobile games is micro-transactions and how they're spilling over into non-mobile games. It'd me like if they sold a move scroll in Shenmue for 99 cents. Of course they also are quick to tell you that you can unlock it without paying anything......by playing 37 straight hours of lucky hit.

You see, that's only a problem when the core gameplay isn't good. Whatever Yu has to pitch to Sony to get them to green light this game they should do it . At the end of the day, all that matters is that we get Shenmue 3. If they have to make compromises like imbeding micro transactions, so be it. When Sega gave us VF5 FS , they had to pitch it as a downloadable digital game only. Sacrifices had to be made to the game like the loss. Of customizable intros, and a shorter quest mode. At the end of the day, it was worth it to get a sequel to a game that. Sold horribly. Developers have to get with the times to survive.

Gangsta Ren has received a thanks from: yuke1
Gangsta Ren
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Ziming » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 am

French and Spanish subtitles have been added to the Shenmue Postmortem video. Thanks to ilducci and Shendream for sending me this. Click "cc" in the video below to select the language.

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to News and Updates