Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby ShenSun » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Looking back on the entire thing, I think the best part for me was the community interaction. Everyone was so fired up, and it felt as if Shenmue was a current gen title.

A very special day indeed.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Mitsuzuki
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:02 pm

There goes your Japan's pristine health care system keeping EVERYONE ALIVE until they are 95, you retarded cunt.

(Couldn't really find a more awesome quote in reference to Suzuki's age) But back to that issue, Shigeru Miyamoto is 61, just sayin'

Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56 pm

No need to acknowledge Gangsta Ren.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby blacktorn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Alimn was able to chat up Mark Cerny for a bit as well:

I talked to Mark about Shenmue....(He's such an awesome person)

"It's not easy these days to find publishers who want to afford those much...", That's what Mark told me.

He said Yu is trying hard to find publishers these days (that's why he's here...)

I personally catched the fact that remaining chapters of Shenmue is much bigger than Shenmue 1 & 2 so for that Suzuki needs lots of money & a strong publisher.

Something that grantees that saga comes to a conclusion not that we end up waitting 15 more years for Shenmue 4.

PS note: GDC isn't over yet & we have E3 ahead...GDC is usually where devs gather to prepare while E3s, TGSs & ... are the real show downs.

I may edit this & add more of what Mark & others told me, but basically that's all we must know as of now. ‪#‎SaveShenmue‬ ‪#‎GDC2014‬

Just keepin' the spirit alive :)

Hmm this made be decide to post on here for a bit more...do you all realise this is actually the most significant piece of information out of GDC?

Well done Alimn,So Yu is really trying to get someone to fund the project and by doing a post-mortem hopes someone will strike up a conversation about how it would be financially feasible to do a project like shenmue justice.

Of course if he is still looking for a partner to continue shenmue then that means the possibility of a future release is still years off...oh well any bit of hope is still good news.

Let's hope the Saga get's finished whilst we are all still breathing :rotflmao:
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby blacktorn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:02 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: No need to acknowledge Gangsta Ren.

I presume he was joking at the time...or mentally disturbed,if a post like that doesn't get you banned/frozen on shenmue dojo then what do you have to do...murder a fellow dojo poster to warrent a ban? :P
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Could someone walk me through the terminology of this? A publisher is someone who will provide finance for development? Or to get the game on the shelves. If Yu is searching at GDC for a publisher does that mean the game has been in development? If someone could shed some light on it I'd be grateful.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby blacktorn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Peter wrote: Could someone walk me through the terminology of this? A publisher is someone who will provide finance for development? Or to get the game on the shelves. If Yu is searching at GDC for a publisher does that mean the game has been in development? If someone could shed some light on it I'd be grateful.

The quote of Marck cerny from Alimn is talking specifically financial support,Yu ain't got no money from the sounds of it.Unless he goes down the bank robbery career path...
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gromber » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:30 pm

this conference needed more time and more "fans" in the public, but i liked it.
Gromber
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Peter wrote: Could someone walk me through the terminology of this? A publisher is someone who will provide finance for development? Or to get the game on the shelves. If Yu is searching at GDC for a publisher does that mean the game has been in development? If someone could shed some light on it I'd be grateful.

Well, by definition, a publisher refers to your second comment, getting the game on shelves. A video game publisher does the marketing and the manufacturing of the game. If Cerny was referring to simply funding to develop the game, I don't see why they wouldnt use the term game developer, but he chose publisher instead. Publishers merely promote the finished product.

EDIT: Publishers also can give money for development
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Radar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:19 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:

Well, by definition, a publisher refers to your second comment, getting the game on shelves. A video game publisher does the marketing and the manufacturing of the game. If Cerny was referring to simply funding to develop the game, I don't see why they wouldnt use the term game developer, but he chose publisher instead. Publishers merely promote the finished product.

EDIT: Publishers also can give money for development

Well.. The word Investor would be more suitable than publisher, isn't it? :-k
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Nah, most of the time the publisher IS the group investing in a game product. There is the odd occasion where that is not the case, like for example if you look at one example SEGA cancelled Bayonetta 2, Nintendo stepped in and funded the game so it would be released for Wii U instead of entirely canned but SEGA are still publishing that game.

I wonder if Suzuki is trying to speak with various companies whilst at GDC or if he's just relying on the Shenmue conference to get it done to just gain interest from that avenue?

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:04 pm

See that's why I am letting myself get annoyed. How hard is he actually trying? I mean is he just moping around waiting on for someone to come to him because of who he is? Or is he properly pursuing this with passion? To be honest, he has never came off as fired up or motivitated when it comes to mentioning Shenmues future. I don't question the guys want for completing the saga, I question his passion for making it possible. If he has been supposedly trying for years, then is he really trying hard enough.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby blacktorn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:08 pm

I thought sony already showed some interest in shenmue,what happaned with sony?

But if Sony was to publish it does that mean it becomes a 1st party franchise?
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Peter wrote: See that's why I am letting myself get annoyed. How hard is he actually trying? I mean is he just moping around waiting on for someone to come to him because of who he is? Or is he properly pursuing this with passion? To be honest, he has never came off as fired up or motivitated when it comes to mentioning Shenmues future. I don't question the guys want for completing the saga, I question his passion for making it possible. If he has been supposedly trying for years, then is he really trying hard enough.

Perhaps his demeanor is not what you would like because of cultural differences? Maybe he's not as enthusiastic because of that haha, i dunno.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Radar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:34 pm

blacktorn wrote: I thought sony already showed some interest in shenmue,what happaned with sony?

But if Sony was to publish it does that mean it becomes a 1st party franchise?

I guess it's different from actual money investment, I wonder if someone would actually invest in Shenmue 3 in current situation, not to mention, expecting some financial gain from it
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates