Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:02 pm

urbanveteran wrote:
Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
urbanveteran wrote: Just had a thought. If there wasn't a YES or a NO to anymore shenmue releases then isn't that a little hope? Wouldn't we be hearing a firm NO if they really hated the game and a little explanation as to why. I think maybe they are doing the whole psychological trick of trying to make us want it even more. As some companies will try to do. Maybe I'm just dreaming? thoughts on this anyone?

Grasping at straws. I'll probably see Ryo on my toast tomorrow morning.

yeah. i kinda thought that. but why no YES. and why no NO?

There's no limbo; there is nothing in development. It's excruciatingly obvious since Yu says he'd like to exhume, er, resume where he left off. I'd feel a little different if he refused to answer the question, then maybe, maybe I'd consider the prospect that something is brewing and he isn't able to tip his hand because of an NDA would put a veil of secrecy over the projec.

A worthy sequel / end would take several years to complete and he's 55.
There aren't many in the industry pushing 60 that are working 12 hour days in today's cycle, either. It'd probably be demanded to get a game of this scope finished with what would probably be a very tight budget.

I really don't see any light at the end of the tunnel any more.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:02 pm

The You wrote: Well there was definitely a lot of new info about the series, especially the early storyboard stuff. You can't really call it a bad conference, i think he really delivered on that aspect. Sure we have no new info on the future of the series, but that wasn't what this day was about.

It just sucks so bad because it seemed like the stars where aligning for the perfect time for an announcement.. Which brings me to my next point: fuck Mark Cerny. I don't care if they're friends, they need to stop being friends if it's giving us all this false hope. ](*,) "You're translator has failed you," Yes you have Mark, yes you have.

At the same time it was great to see Yu reminisce about the series. You could see how nostalgic he was, and the passion he had for the game. It really must be painfully bittersweet for him to talk about Shenmue, when he knows the story may never be concluded. But he is a proud man, and he refuses to deny that the series is dead. Yu still hasn't given up, and neither should we.

Now it's time to forget about this, get drunk, boot up the dreamcast, and play some goddamn shenmue.

"I don't care if they're friends, they need to stop being friends" I lol'd :mrgreen:

i agree with what you said and all this talking and activity is making me want to fire up shenmue.

I might have to delete my game save to start fresh. shenmue took up a huge amount of space. but it was my main dreamcast game so all over game saves just had to get out the way!

Need to find all my cables :D

Shenmue is always on my shelf. I still need to pick up a copy of the second. i had the original and a pirate of the 2nd. maybe this is why it didn't do so well also. Has that been discussed yet?
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I love the activity on the board at least. Keep it up till at least E3! haha

I thought i was alone in my liking for shenmue.

Nobody I meet knows wtf it is when i tell them my top ten games of all time. I'm like bla bla, shenmue. What's that? what do you mean what's that??? You mean you've never played shenmue before! what the fk! you need to play it! that's how it usually goes. :mrgreen:
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
urbanveteran wrote:
Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
urbanveteran wrote: Just had a thought. If there wasn't a YES or a NO to anymore shenmue releases then isn't that a little hope? Wouldn't we be hearing a firm NO if they really hated the game and a little explanation as to why. I think maybe they are doing the whole psychological trick of trying to make us want it even more. As some companies will try to do. Maybe I'm just dreaming? thoughts on this anyone?

Grasping at straws. I'll probably see Ryo on my toast tomorrow morning.

yeah. i kinda thought that. but why no YES. and why no NO?

There's no limbo; there is nothing in development. It's excruciatingly obvious since Yu says he'd like to exhume, er, resume where he left off. I'd feel a little different if he refused to answer the question, then maybe, maybe I'd consider the prospect that something is brewing and he isn't able to tip his hand because of an NDA would put a veil of secrecy over the projec.

A worthy sequel / end would take several years to complete and he's 55.
There aren't many in the industry pushing 60 that are working 12 hour days in today's cycle, either. It'd probably be demanded to get a game of this scope finished with what would probably be a very tight budget.

I really don't see any light at the end of the tunnel any more.

ahh age that's a good point. i guess there's more things pointing towards no sequel.

i'm trying to think, was there any other game this good that ended on a cliffhanger than never had a sequel. Or another scenario where the sequel got made?

Or is it just shenmue fans being tortured?
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm glad we meet new Shenmue fans still in 2014. Come for the discussions! Stay for the sake!
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I'm glad we meet new Shenmue fans still in 2014. Come for the discussions! Stay for the sake!

FTR: I've been visiting weekly since the dojo was on planet Xbox.

Wude-Tang Clan has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Wude-Tang Clan

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ryo_Hazuki--san » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:27 pm

looks like we should all pack up our tents and gear and leave camp shenmue dojo lol the shenmue 3 train will never come... we are lost souls...
Ryo_Hazuki--san

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Radar wrote:
In total there are 870 users online :: 115 registered, 9 hidden and 746 guests (based on active users)
Most users ever online was 888 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:32 pm

DAMN! Almost new record!

FYI we beat that record: Most users ever online was 892 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mue 26 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Because it's nice to read the analysis of someone with a balanced head and not a sufferer of bipolar disorder:
https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/posts/7 ... eam_ref=10

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Nahovil
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Ryo_Hazuki--san wrote: looks like we should all pack up our tents and gear and leave camp shenmue dojo lol the shenmue 3 train will never come... we are lost souls...

Quiet you
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ryo_Hazuki--san » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 pm

lol was looking forward to this for months and all i got out of it was some badass concept art of akira... :/
Ryo_Hazuki--san

Postby _StreetSonic_ » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:50 pm

I enjoyed this very much. :) I wish it could have been longer. Maybe I'm not disappointed because I didn't expect much. I'm still hoping for a HD remake and Shenmue 3. Never give up! Never surrender!
_StreetSonic_
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Nahovil » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:54 pm

mue 26 wrote: Because it's nice to read the analysis of someone with a balanced head and not a sufferer of bipolar disorder:
https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/posts/7 ... eam_ref=10

Also, three articles post-postmortem linked in the post

Polygon.com - Creator Yu Suzuki shares the story of Shenmue's development

Destructoid.com - Shenmue: from peach tree prototype to Virtua Fighter RPG to final release

Eurogamer.net - Shenmue once featured cats that walk on two legs

And was originally called The Old Man and the Peach Tree.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Totti » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:55 pm

They make us like monkeys monkeys what about Shen 3 plate I will not look more to shenmue news they make us like monkeys
Totti
Banned
Banned

Postby Icehotman2004 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:11 pm

It's fine that Shenmue 3 would be last Shenmue ever made by Yu even last Shenmue ever :o then maybe handing copyrights to Sony to continue shenmue series :D first let's see Shenmue 1 HD/Shenmue 2 HD fans would like to fight San Di In a hidden dojo where Ran Di Is :D =D> In Shenmue 3 last Shenmue ever maybe Yu finding ways to cut costs on creating Shenmue 3 a Shen 3 demo Is perfect to see how many more fans follow to create Shen 4 until there's last chapters of Shen that Yu suzuki mentioned
Icehotman2004
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates