Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby Gangsta Ren » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:05 am

Yu Suzuki is 55 , great faggot, and 55 year olds don't have heart attacks, right ? Right? Wrong you pretentious queer motherfucker. You came out of lurking to tell us wiki pedis information and OBVIOUS SHIT like Shenmue was a commercial Failure? No shit Sherlock , we know that already. Fuck off you fraud. You aren't a real Sega Fan or Shenmue fan. You're a fraud and you came here to troll. Kill yourself . Suzuki San is 55, well looking at him he looks 70. My dad is 70. I mean , if the guy is 55 why doesn't he dye his hair black. My dad did that up to his 60s . By 70 he gave up and kept it gray. Brittany Murphy died at 32 . Bruce Lee died of health complications at 32. It is no stretch of the imagination that Yu could die naturally at 55. My friends mom died at mere 50, and all she had was the flu. Flu complications killed her, in America, which is supposed to have the best health care system in the world. There goes your Japan's pristine health care system keeping EVERYONE ALIVE until they are 95, you retarded cunt.

You are a damn asshole. He could have a stroke. He could have heart attack. He could find out he has lung cancer and only 6 months to live. Keep a respectful tongue you fucking queer. I will break your spirit and embarrass you do badly you'll kill yourself. Fuck you . And way to be racists and pass generalizations : all Japanese live to extremely old ages. Really? Asshole the health care system doesn't count for shit. American has a great health care system and yet people die prematurely all the time. One of my Senseis was barely 43 when he died in His sleep two years ago. It happens asshole. Go back to being a lurker you fucking faggot. And you didn't buy a PS4 gets because you're an unemployed piece of shit and a retard. I got my PS4 on launch day, and got my 1080p Metal Gear Ground Zeroes and InFamous this week. You broke bum , you're probably still on 360. Go fuck yourself and go back to lurking.

People had their hopes up for Shenmue 3, it didn't happen. They don't need some prick kicking them while they are down saying they have"wacky screwball opinions". Let them vent . Go take your Aids medication and STFU you outsider.
Gangsta Ren
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Miggi03 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:38 am

Miggi03
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby urbanveteran » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:50 am

Mitsuzuki wrote: I think they should have set expectations about Shenmue 3 right off the top to kill the elephant in the room. That would have put down the distraction and let people enjoy the postmortem as it was meant to. There's so much to talk about in the development of the series that an hour is not nearly enough to do it. How many people while watching had the distraction of a potential future Shenmue release in mind while trying to digest the conference? Probably most.

If there's a conference where Yu Suzuki will just talk shop about Shenmue as we know it without the lingering question if he'll pull a Steve Jobs with a "one more thing" moment, I could sit there for hours and let it all soak in. I'd love it.

Regarding the Q&A, there should have been a question about the here and now of Shenmue. Is Suzuki pleased there is enough support for licensed merchandise such as the Ryo figures, shirt from Hardcore Chocolate, and the hoodie and shirt from Insert Coin? Does this not show recent momentum for the brand and that fans are still interested?

How questions such as this that didn't get asked are really quite baffling. If Yu Suzuki really is prevented from saying much about how he'd like to be involved about a future game, it would be interesting to see what kind of legal precedent SEGA or whoever has on him. It seems hard to fathom why he can't or won't say ANYTHING about the potential of a future release. Does he really have that short of a leash, or is he just not interested? I'd like to think it's not the latter otherwise, why bother doing a postmortem anyway.

bro you summed it up here in one. I even said this myself. i could not concentrate on the presentation at all because I was wondering if it was going to be mentioned. if from the onset it was mentioned, there's going to be no shenmue 3 for now. everyone could relax and choose to stay and listen to the talk or leave. Exactly me other point I mentioned.

Why do a postmortem? To have a chitchat with the world on how shenmue was a good game. where does that even lead to? whats the motivation to want to do that. just to speak about the past. Right ok then, makes a whole lot of sense. \:D/

urbanveteran has received a thanks from: Mitsuzuki
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby urbanveteran » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:56 am

*Kenshin Himura* wrote: Also, I definitely believe that the Q&A was staged. Probably before it went live, Mark Cenry or whoever said "Look when the Q&A starts, only one question about Shenmue III is allowed. More than one will result in Yu-San walking off the stage. As well, that was the first and only question on Shenmue III.. They just got it out the way, so they couldn't look back to it. Yu seems a bit stressed by it to me, he seemed a little tense during the presentation. Then again the language barrier is a challenge but not impossible.

The Q&A had no effort from the audience, definitely seemed lifeless about the series. I believe that Yu-San his masterpiece Shenmue is just too complex for the modern day minds of gaming.

??? i didn't hear that. is it in the recorded video? if it is where abouts can i find it. i want to hear that.
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:20 am

^ Its all speculation, if you read how I typed my post for the first part.

The Postmortem was insightful and I was upset yesterday, but I truly understand its not Yu-San trolling. I can't wait for GDC Shenmue II. We all got caught up in all of the Shenmue shenanigans early this year and of November last year putting in our minds that an announcement of some sort was inevitable at the GDC.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Miggi03 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 am

*Kenshin Himura* wrote: ^ Its all speculation, if you read how I typed my post for the first part.

The Postmortem was insightful and I was upset yesterday, but I truly understand its not Yu-San trolling.

Miggi03 has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Miggi03

Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:32 am

Can I just politely remind people that taking their frustrations out on each other [like at the top of this page] will not be tolerated.

Some of you really need to calm yourselves down. Sleep on it. Leave the internet for a bit.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 am

So, two things for the Dojoers that are not on the Facebook Shenmue 500k site:

Alimn was able to chat up Mark Cerny for a bit as well:

I talked to Mark about Shenmue....(He's such an awesome person)

"It's not easy these days to find publishers who want to afford those much...", That's what Mark told me.

He said Yu is trying hard to find publishers these days (that's why he's here...)

I personally catched the fact that remaining chapters of Shenmue is much bigger than Shenmue 1 & 2 so for that Suzuki needs lots of money & a strong publisher.

Something that grantees that saga comes to a conclusion not that we end up waitting 15 more years for Shenmue 4.

PS note: GDC isn't over yet & we have E3 ahead...GDC is usually where devs gather to prepare while E3s, TGSs & ... are the real show downs.

I may edit this & add more of what Mark & others told me, but basically that's all we must know as of now. ‪#‎SaveShenmue‬ ‪#‎GDC2014‬

Just keepin' the spirit alive :)

Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby japalp » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:42 am

I enjoyed the presentation and ANY talk about Shenmue.

However, I was certainly hoping hard for some sort of announcement. Here is the bottom line - if you are a company considering to reboot Shenmue, you would need to take advantage of this free advertising. If we don't hear something soon, I think a lot of momentum is lost and we may never see the end of this game. That is what is disappointing about the lack of any potential future yesterday.
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:47 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: So, two things for the Dojoers that are not on the Facebook Shenmue 500k site:

Alimn was able to chat up Mark Cerny for a bit as well:

I talked to Mark about Shenmue....(He's such an awesome person)

"It's not easy these days to find publishers who want to afford those much...", That's what Mark told me.

He said Yu is trying hard to find publishers these days (that's why he's here...)

I personally catched the fact that remaining chapters of Shenmue is much bigger than Shenmue 1 & 2 so for that Suzuki needs lots of money & a strong publisher.

Something that grantees that saga comes to a conclusion not that we end up waitting 15 more years for Shenmue 4.

PS note: GDC isn't over yet & we have E3 ahead...GDC is usually where devs gather to prepare while E3s, TGSs & ... are the real show downs.

I may edit this & add more of what Mark & others told me, but basically that's all we must know as of now. ‪#‎SaveShenmue‬ ‪#‎GDC2014‬

Just keepin' the spirit alive :)

Nice Job Alimn!
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby lavrentis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:53 am

Interesting presentation.

Some of those questions though. A Q+A dedicated to Shenmue and someone asks about Space Harrier? Wait to the fucking Space Harrier post-mortem FFS
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:57 am

I've mentioned this on the 500k website, but if Kid Icarus can come out with a game 21 years later, I'm sure Shenmue has a chance to eventually come out with a new game as well.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 am

When I fell back to sleep after the postmortem, it hit me when I woke up that Yu-San was showcasing/modeling Shenmue for publishers to fund it. As for Mr. Cenry; he and Yu are good friends and he sees and respects the vision of Yu. I wish that Yu-San had 2 or more hours to go over it all. Shenmue is too deep for a limited 1 hour span to glamour publishers.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Totti » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 am

If someone who want to make NUCLEAR WEPOEN he will find his publisher within 13 years we are talking 13 years it not short period of time finish I give up hope for shenmue anymore
Totti
Banned
Banned

Postby ys » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 am

Good stuff from alimn. While I want Shenmue III to be released this is exactly what I want to hear regarding Yu Suzuki and the series. It really sounds like he does not want to do a shortened version of the story and conclude it all in Shenmue 3. Rather he seems to want to do the whole thing as intended. Which I always preferred since a rushed, cut version of the story in one game would not create the immersive feeling and pace that we like.

@Kenshin, exactly. Giving some insight into what he and his team were capable of with the available hardware at the time. And alimns reaction seems to confirm this.

ys has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates