Phil Spencer - The Biggest Request is to Bring Back Shenmue!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Phil Spencer - The Biggest Request is to Bring Back Shen

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:07 pm

There is only one known Shenmue fan (Kiyuu) left in the whole country though isn't there? Well, there's Kenshin too, but he doesn't count because he's a white devil ;P
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Aimless Gamer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Just a thought, what if microsoft just started with HDing Shenmue 1 and 2? Test the water first.
Aimless Gamer
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: Aimless Gamer
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:16 pm

I want Shenmue 3 on PC.

I'm indifferent as to which console the game could appear on; I'll buy whichever one to play it.

Shenmue HD will probably be announced this calendar year, I feel pretty confident in that. Hopefully it won't be a quick cash grab and whoever spearheads the task is given the time to update the textures in the two games; this could probably be outsourced relatively cheaply.

Personally, I think re-releasing the first game instead of the 2nd, first, could be a mistake.

Shenmue 2 is a better game, to me, and would probably appeal to a wider audience as the action is introduced much earlier. Having a digest video of the first game as an un-skipable introduction would suffice until Shenmue 1 is released at a later date.

johnvivant wrote:i also just read that this guy phil spencer is now head of xbox division which means that he's in an even better position to make a decision.

Spencer does not hold the purse strings. He sounded like he was pandering, anyway, trying to roll over the, 'gamers' odometer.

Honestly, I don't even think any internal discussions have commenced at MS or Sony, serious ones at least. Nor has there been a tug of war over who could potentially secure the license.
Wude-Tang Clan

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 pm

At the very least release both at the same time, but not Shenmue 2 first without S1. I can't imagine many newcomers would want to enter into the series with the second installment, and even if they did, they wouldn't be able to appreciate it in the same way.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby urbanveteran » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:21 pm

lavrentis wrote: Lets face it Shenmue 3 would be the only reason to buy an XBOX One.

exactly.
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby urbanveteran » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Given the Yakuza series made by sega was released exclusively for the playstation 3. Cerny's involvement with yu suzuki I'd say it's a safe bet that if Shenmue hd or shenmue 3 were to head anywhere it would be in Sony's hands and on their system. Look at how Microsoft wanted to shaft gamers with their 24 hour login, preowned games monopoly, ect ect.

Then what did sony do? The smart thing! Listened to the people. The people who are the reason their companies are in this console market. They came out and said in public that they're not going to give us all these restrictions. Then what does microsoft do. Oh we will lose lots of money now, let's not shaft our beloved fans, i know! let's give them what they want now.

What a joke that was.

Back on topic, in all fairness the game is up for grabs for anyone with the balls, money and time to take it on.

Sony seem to listen to it's customers, the people. So maybe with these facts. Maybe just maybe Sony are going to make this dream finally come true.

Let's hope Sony can do it again. If Microsoft do, great it'll boost their street cred and make them look like they listen to gamers. It's a win-win. But they really do need to start showing the game to the public first. You can't just put it in the store on psn or xbl and expect ppl to download it. it needs some kind of exposure. people who have never played it need a reason to.

Fingers crossed anyway.
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Axm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:25 pm

This is some great news. I hope he's serious about it and makes something happen.

Axm has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 am

Like I said before.... If Xboxone wants to succeed here in Japan.. They need to bring more JRPGs and Shenmue III. Phantom Dust would be plausible too, but I don't see that happening if they are focusing on their 1P games.

Btw. that Phil Spencer interview is everywhere around gaming blogs.. He could be serious... Who knows?
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:33 am

PD is happening.

Phil Spencer has all but confirmed it in recent months.

phpBB [video]

After the PS4 video this comes off a little butthurt.

Yes he laughed when he first mentioned the Shenmue contingency but he wasn't laughing when he said it was the most requested game.

But yeah it comes off as if it comes to XBox One I'm going to look silly.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Dicimania » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:22 am

At the moment I am not much interested in Xbox one or Ps4, but whoever brings Shenmue to their console I will buy it.
I would like to have PS4 a bit more, as I think it offers more for the money, but if MS brings Shenmue to XboxOne I just have to buy it =)

Lets hope also for HD releases, I think that would be great as the costs wouldnt be too much with todays engines and so and also it would be great to test the market.

But if MS would bring Shenmue to their console, what about the Japanese market? We all know MS just will not succeed there, or maybe that would be the opurtunity to open the Japanese market for them? I just dont know but lets hope for the best :mrgreen:
Dicimania
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby badamn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Glad to say i still haven't chosen sides,I might buy a 3dsxl....just wish it would plug into a tv
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Superrayman3 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:27 pm

mue 26 wrote: At the very least release both at the same time, but not Shenmue 2 first without S1. I can't imagine many newcomers would want to enter into the series with the second installment, and even if they did, they wouldn't be able to appreciate it in the same way.
This right here sums up one of the biggest issues that plagued the XBOX version of Shenmue II, not including the original game with the XBOX version was a terrible move, while SEGA did give us Shenmue the Movie with the XBOX version as a way to bring newcomers up to date with the plot, compared to actually playing the game the movie was a waste of time, it was boring as hell, had numerous important plot elements removed and overall felt like it was an addition that was thrown in at the last minute to help entice people to buy it (which for all intents and purposes failed miserably I might add).
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 am

Yep not having both was a cock up not just for newcomers but current fans as well.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby AdamKoralik » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:50 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: PD is happening.

Phil Spencer has all but confirmed it in recent months.

phpBB [video]

After the PS4 video this comes off a little butthurt.

Yes he laughed when he first mentioned the Shenmue contingency but he wasn't laughing when he said it was the most requested game.

But yeah it comes off as if it comes to XBox One I'm going to look silly.

I had a cold when I shot the video.

And are you kidding? I'd LOVE to be wrong.

I've always preferred the XBox brand over the Playstation brand.

That aside, it would actually mean the game was here.

Though, I still don't think that's going to happen.
AdamKoralik

Postby Giorgio » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:56 am

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

PreviousNext