Phil Spencer - The Biggest Request is to Bring Back Shenmue!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Phil Spencer - The Biggest Request is to Bring Back Shen

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Nothing major but the focus on Xbox is now games and he is listening to the gamers right now.
Saying they want to focus on first party doesn't mean no Shenmue but some people need to stop thinking anyone other than SEGA should be paying the bulk of the costs for an IP they own.

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Peter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:40 pm

This day and they won't. So it more or less comes full circle to post Shenmue 2, where this past 10 years has been full of fun teases and some added bonuses of Shenmue merchandise, there will not be a Shenmue future. We should consider ourselves lucky, and also thankful that Shenmue has been involved in Sums game and also various clothing opportunities. But the creation of a brand new game, in full development to compete with other games in this day a day and age, plus the fact that it lost money......

Look I am a die hard Shenmue fan. I'd sell my collection to fund a Kick starter. I have it tattooed on my body and I dedicate everyday to this site. But I can honestly believe that until it feels right in my heart, I will continue to speak what the picture of the harsh reality is with the series. It's fact. It's a cruel world and Shenmue is one of the victims of that. I'm not saying let go any campaigns that are ongoing, please keep it up! I just feel that it won't make a difference but create cheap business opportunities to squeeze a few coins out of some die hard fans. Even a release of HD versions would be an extension of that, where others would see it as a proper chance of a Shenmue 3. I don't, because we are a niche title with not enough fans to make us a proper cult game, where funding a new/3rd installment would be profitable to anyone who is committed enough to fund it.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby badamn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:51 pm

dude u r soo wrong. and i've heard this iterated here before.When Shenmue and 2 came out hardly anyone knew what it was.nowadays it doesn't matter who i run into anybody i know knows what Shenmue is because of me even my then kindergarten nephews know plus the fact that the money to produce it would be waaaay lower and the market would be waaaay bigger.It's coming kiddo and I bet no one knows the magnitude of the success it will have...nothings been talked about more..for sure!And i hope these execs realize that by the time shenmue 2 came out... most of the people that wanted it had it on pirated discs already and that doesn't show up in the reports they get.
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:36 am

Yeah... them wanting to focus on their first party games isn't a problem because that is bringing them money and majority of the fan base are generally focused on. On the other hand, Shenmue is really a unresolved decision... Its not a complete "no" that it will not happen so thats a good thing, but then there is no filler for if anyone desires to breathe life into it. Shenmue is a great game, but I won't let ruin my desire for gaming sitting here waiting for it. When it happens its going to happen. So best thing guys is to take a deep breath and move on from Shenmue 3 for awhile and enjoy what we all love doing. (Gaming)

*Kenshin Himura* has received a thanks from: ShenSun
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby ys » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:19 am

badamn wrote: dude u r soo wrong. and i've heard this iterated here before.When Shenmue and 2 came out hardly anyone knew what it was.nowadays it doesn't matter who i run into anybody i know knows what Shenmue is because of me even my then kindergarten nephews know plus the fact that the money to produce it would be waaaay lower and the market would be waaaay bigger.It's coming kiddo and I bet no one knows the magnitude of the success it will have...nothings been talked about more..for sure!And i hope these execs realize that by the time shenmue 2 came out... most of the people that wanted it had it on pirated discs already and that doesn't show up in the reports they get.

Here in Europe and in Japan people could just buy Shenmue 2 though. It's mainly the US where people were more or less forced to pirate it. The demise of the Dreamcast was a major contributing factor though when it comes to sales.
Besides, from what I've seen in several articles, businesses do have estimates of piracy actually.

And I don't know if I agree that Shenmue wasn't known during the Dreamcast days since a very large part of all Dreamcast owners bought the game. To me it seemed like a well known title together with others like Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:09 am

All aboard the Shenmue roller coaster!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:40 am

I think it's going to come down to whether it's going to be a system seller which is what both sides want right now. I wouldn't have bought an xbox if shenmue 2 hadn't been released on it. And I probably wouldn't have bought a 360 when it came out because I probably would have stuck with play station not having much experience with xbox. And now I'm not in the market for a next gen console but shenmue would immediately cause me to buy one or the other(or a wii u if by some strange chance it came out on that system).
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby urbanveteran » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:28 am

ys wrote:
badamn wrote: dude u r soo wrong. and i've heard this iterated here before.When Shenmue and 2 came out hardly anyone knew what it was.nowadays it doesn't matter who i run into anybody i know knows what Shenmue is because of me even my then kindergarten nephews know plus the fact that the money to produce it would be waaaay lower and the market would be waaaay bigger.It's coming kiddo and I bet no one knows the magnitude of the success it will have...nothings been talked about more..for sure!And i hope these execs realize that by the time shenmue 2 came out... most of the people that wanted it had it on pirated discs already and that doesn't show up in the reports they get.

Here in Europe and in Japan people could just buy Shenmue 2 though. It's mainly the US where people were more or less forced to pirate it. The demise of the Dreamcast was a major contributing factor though when it comes to sales.
Besides, from what I've seen in several articles, businesses do have estimates of piracy actually.

And I don't know if I agree that Shenmue wasn't known during the Dreamcast days since a very large part of all Dreamcast owners bought the game. To me it seemed like a well known title together with others like Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure.

As stated in my topic on shenmue's decline being related to pirate copies. I too am under the assumption that not enough people got to see the game. If you look at my post I discuss it in more detail. But basically at the time playstation was much more widespread than dreamcast. Dreamcast only had major titles like sonic to lure people in. But in my experience i guess people weren't all as crazy about sonic at that time. The other titles Dreamcast did have were already available on the playstation. I believe Sony dominated the market at this time and thus if they Sega was able to release Shenmue on the playstation as well as the dreamcast, I believe it would have reached a huge audience.

I believe this is the reason why everyone I speak to who I mention Shenmue to, don't know what it is.
Believe me I've told a big number of people about it and they all say. "What's Shenmue?" It's really sad that such a great game didn't get its deserved attention.

People were too busy playing, silent hill, crash bash, final fantasy, fear effect. Then the first xbox came out and people moved their attention to that. I see it as a lot of people went PS1 > XBOX, with no in-between. skipped dreamcast completely. So never heard of Shenmue. Then they brought out just Shenmue 2 but not Shenmue 1 on xbox. I cannot understand why you'd want to re-release a sequel before the original. People will want to find the first one, realise its on another console thats dying and think forget Shenmue.

Then came Halo, and so spawned this new type of gaming. Then Call of Duty and it's pretty much stuck like that for 13 years. Businesses won't take risks unless they draw up a business plan and see some kind of evidence that it will make a lot of money.

A shenmue 1 and 2 HD remake could be beneficial, but as somebody else said it could just be a way to make money out of us. If you already have the 2 games there's not much point.

When you see a friend online and it tells you what game they're playing, if it was released and people kept seeing 'Shenmue HD' they'd wonder what it was all about. Then maybe it would spread around and create some buzz about it. But if that didn't happen I honestly doubt there will ever be a third.

As it stands I think until a HD remake is made just total forget about a third. It's a business venture. The only way a third would do it is if it was made to look like current games, how are they going to do that without taking away the feel and look of the Shenmue we know.

rant over :rotflmao:
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:14 pm

I dunno what it was like where you're from, but over here it was a case of "if you could afford a Dreamcast, you'd get it", regardless, but as soon as the PS2 was about to be released, most people sold what they could to get it, which usually included the DC despite how recently they'd bought it. The PlayStation brand was at an all-time high, and had a built-in DVD player. Who could argue with that?

As for the Xbox, people only really seemed to take an interest in Halo and Fable. Think I must've been the only person at my school who was playing on my Dreamcast n Gamecube while everyone else was playing GTA III on a PS2 or Halo on their Xbox. Don't forget that owning a DC was never really a trend, whereas having a PS2 was.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby urbanveteran » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:45 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I dunno what it was like where you're from, but over here it was a case of "if you could afford a Dreamcast, you'd get it", regardless, but as soon as the PS2 was about to be released, most people sold what they could to get it, which usually included the DC despite how recently they'd bought it. The PlayStation brand was at an all-time high, and had a built-in DVD player. Who could argue with that?

As for the Xbox, people only really seemed to take an interest in Halo and Fable. Think I must've been the only person at my school who was playing on my Dreamcast n Gamecube while everyone else was playing GTA III on a PS2 or Halo on their Xbox. Don't forget that owning a DC was never really a trend, whereas having a PS2 was.

where i'm from. i laughed when i read your location. I'm a fellow manc. Nice to see another Manc Shenmue fan. I've seen 2 upto now. So that makes 3 of us.

What I said was obviously from the circle of people I knew at the time. So maybe other areas of manc it was different. tbh that time is getting a little hazy now. getting to be an old guy now (27).

Maybe the cost of the DC was a factor too. I didn't even consider that. I can't even remember how much it was originally. But Sony did dominate. ps1 and ps2. So did chipped games. You made another good point, the dvd drive in the ps2. I think that was a big selling point to a lot of people. Tbh I think when it was announced that there would be a ps2 with a dvd drive everyones attention focused on the ps2 and DC was instantly outdated.

I suppose DC couldn't compete anymore.

Not that wiki is a great reference but this kind of summed it up:

The success of the PS2 at the end of 2000 caused Sega problems both financially and competitively, and Sega announced the discontinuation of the Dreamcast in March 2001, just 18 months after its successful launch'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

So seeing as Sony murdered the Dreamcast, Shenmue and Sega consoles in general. I think it would be good if they at least revived Shenmue.

urbanveteran has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Haha! Legend! Well I'm from East Manchester (Openshaw area), went to school in Denton. 25 now so no much difference.

And yeah, Mancs pretty much dominated this place for a good while. There's still a few knockin about. You a Blue or a dirty red?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby urbanveteran » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:08 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Haha! Legend! Well I'm from East Manchester (Openshaw area), went to school in Denton. 25 now so no much difference.

And yeah, Mancs pretty much dominated this place for a good while. There's still a few knockin about. You a Blue or a dirty red?

North manchester, cheetham hill here and my blood runs red :) let's not turn this Phil spencer thread into a footy one. Loool.

I didn't expect even one manc. So to find a few it's surprising. Everyone I've known has no clue what shenmue is. Gd to see tho.
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Wanna get hits and more exposure gaming PR people? Drop a few a lines about Shenmue in your article. Profit.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Cheetam Hill... haven't been there in years. Perfect place for back-of-van gear.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Gametrailers is twitching shenmue

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers
shredingskin