Phil Spencer - The Biggest Request is to Bring Back Shenmue!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Phil Spencer - The Biggest Request is to Bring Back Shen

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 am

Did anyone set up a thunderclap again this month including spencer in the tweet?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: Did anyone set up a thunderclap again this month including spencer in the tweet?

Look always at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=1071313#p1071313, or here: http://TeamYu.net/SaveShenmue
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:33 am

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 am

What a jerkish thing to say.

Also why bring shenmue up if you don't want people to talk about it. Dammit, Phil.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:13 am

Because he was asked about it.

As I said before I don't see MS or Sony funding it and not sure why they should be expected? SEGA own the IP so if its going to come they should be the ones paying most of the costs.
Maybe some see it as jerkish of people flooding these guys twitter accounts with Shenmue posts?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby ShenSun » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:41 am

props to Phil for informing us on MS stance to Shenmue. That said, please dont continue to tease it. Then again, maybe if you continue, it will get Sony and other publisher's attention. :)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:47 am

He didn't tease it. The guy said months ago that Microsoft where more interested in looking at their own IP's and studios when asked about Shenmue. All he did was mention that it's possibly the most requested game. I could understand if he said. "Shenmue is probably the most requested game we hear about at Microsoft. It would be great if we could please those fans." Sadly he didn't say anything close to that. Hopefully people don't start calling the guy a dick as he's done nothing wrong but there's nothing wrong with letting him know you would like to see the game in a respectful and non annoying manner.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Yama » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:03 pm

To me it sounds like he respects the series but is not willing to fund it. Obviously he'd like to house it if Sega did their part, as would Sony. We reach out to them for hope but at the end of the day it's Sega's problem not theirs. I'm still holding out that someone may do something of the sort, it'd be a big pull definitely, but can see why they wouldn't all the same.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, MiTT3NZ
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:30 pm

^This.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Money is the name of the game..
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:39 pm

And money is what all of these companies have. I know it's not realistic to drop $40 million on a game that has demonstrated it doesn't make a return but there has to be some answer to the Shenmue sequel question. People want it. I think it just shows Sony, MS and mainly Sega's lack of caring so I respond with my lack of caring for a next-gen console.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:17 pm

So you have money right? I assume enough money to live on? Well would you invest money into a business idea you have, one that is SO committed and enduring, despite having seen that same business model lose serious amounts of money twice before it?

When people here think about money and "yea give Yu the money", think about your own money, and regardless of how expendible it is to you, think about the fact of both past track record and your possibility of making a profit from a committed business venture.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, FlagshipFighter, MiTT3NZ
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:23 pm

That's why I'm saying there needs to be a formula change. The demand is there. Not enough to turn a profit from the same ol shenmue formula but there's a way to make a game without it costing as much as the first two. I feel like half of the money came from the games being developed over such a long period. It changed a lot from the Saturn pics we've seen.

And if they get multiple ways to fund it the cost will be less for each party. That's why Sony or ms are critical. Without one of them sega won't do it.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Flatlandaniel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:04 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: That's why I'm saying there needs to be a formula change. The demand is there. Not enough to turn a profit from the same ol shenmue formula but there's a way to make a game without it costing as much as the first two. I feel like half of the money came from the games being developed over such a long period. It changed a lot from the Saturn pics we've seen.

And if they get multiple ways to fund it the cost will be less for each party. That's why Sony or ms are critical. Without one of them sega won't do it.

Short and extremely overpriced episodic dlc that fans would gobble up in an instant.

It's the only way.
Flatlandaniel
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Superrayman3 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:45 am

While it's true that all Phil did was mention that Shenmue III is possibly the most requested game, and didn't specifically say that Microsoft was particularly interested in the game, I think his response to the inquiry shown above could have been much better, if I was him I would have said something like this "At the current moment Microsoft is primarily focused on our own franchises, we might consider looking into Shenmue III in the future but I can't make any guarantees on that.", by saying that he knew it was trouble to start answering Shenmue questions, he basically set himself up for being called a dick (especially if he knew that by answering Shenmue related questions at all that he was going to get inquiries about possible exclusivity deals).
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates