Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:33 pm

WHAT, YOU LEFT MANCHESTER??? LIES!!!

Lol, just kidding.

Well the article, neither discouraging nor encouraging i guess. Maybe we are indeed a little bit closer to Shenmue 3. Feels better than being closer to Shenmue Online or Shenmue Gai 2... Well after over a decade i guess the only article that could really make us drool would be a Preview or at least a HD remake of the first 2 games... I guess we've all just had way too many encouraging articles over the past 12 years.

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:03 am

This is nice to read, especially when combined with the new Xbox chief recently saying that we're the most significant contingent in the gaming community because of the legend we made.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Sonikku
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby johnvivant » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:54 pm

phpBB [video]

the writer of this piece took part in a eurogamer podcast and said some more about his interview with yu Suzuki and also clarifying his view expressed in the article. some interesting info:

"I met yu Suzuki a few weeks ago, a big hero of mine, it was really great to meet him but also quite sad as well because his spark has been dulled somewhat from the fact that he's been chasing Shenmue 3 so long, and it became clear as I was speaking with him that he is making Shenmue 3 at the moment, or at least trying his best to make it a reality (OMG from fellow presenter) yeah, kinda OMG but he has been trying to make Shenmue a reality over the past 10 years already, he's never walked away from it at any point, although it seems that there are certain things happening right now that might make it a reality... the last 10 years he has been an exile from the games industry...."

he then goes on to explain why he thinks yu Suzuki is 'out of touch' and maybe it would be best if it wasn't made.

here is link to full podcast, the Shenmue talk begins at 40min mark.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... -shenmue-3
Last edited by johnvivant on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:03 pm

Interesting. I don't really see how Suzuki can be "out of touch" on a form of art (the video game). It would be refreshing to play a game such as Shenmue with all of the War/Zombie/FPS/Halo/CoD clones out there

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: mue 26
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Mitsuzuki » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Yep. I think triple-A games can use a lot of "out of touch" nowadays.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:36 pm

That guy does talk some waffle doesn't he. The worst kind of fan.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Out of touch is a very good thing. If modern gaming is being in touch, I'd like to loose focus, hear fuzz and wake up on the wrong side of the bed.

Yama has received 4 thanks from: Giorgio, KiBa, Messiah, Nahovil
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby vegetafett » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Yeah I don't want to be in touch if it means I have to play call of duty all day. i will stick with my outdated games apparently. Lol I think that lots of people would like this game, it just has to be presented in the right way. I have always thought this series was not only fun but very informative, and I hope and pray that we will be able to see more of them
vegetafett
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: numbrenditions
XBL: numbrenditions
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Nahovil » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Out of touch probably means not being too keen on giving up certain aspects of the game or making it adequate for what the consumer reality is today. Most people seem to think this is a game which appeals to the masses, an impression given by the strong passion of those whom it indeed appealed to, long ago, and still nominate it as their favourite game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, bearing this in mind, I'm not sure why most people think the third instalment is something commercially viable, which, most unfortunately, is what matters, even more so today.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jokatech19 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Nahovil wrote: Out of touch probably means not being too keen on giving up certain aspects of the game or making it adequate for what the consumer reality is today. Most people seem to think this is a game which appeals to the masses, an impression given by the strong passion of those whom it indeed appealed to, long ago, and still nominate it as their favourite game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, bearing this in mind, I'm not sure why most people think the third instalment is something commercially viable, which, most unfortunately, is what matters, even more so today.

This is an astute and correct assessment. I personally don't consider it to be a commercially viable foray by any means. That's actually the problem with idiots today. The world is flooded with them. If it relied solely on their opinions, there would never be a game like Shenmue, or anything remotely intellectually stimulating, ever again. I'm just hoping that if Suzuki is as gung ho as he professes to be, he is going to finish regardless. I'd like to say I find it hard to believe; but really I just hope that he isn't that freaking stupid that he hasn't considered the truth in what you just brought out.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby darksniper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:10 pm

If Beyond Good and Evil can get a sequel, then Shenmue damn sure should get one. Either way, it's still up to SEGA on whether or not the game gets made. Budget concerns aren't an issue, Sega has the money to make Shenmue III if they really wanted to. I'm curious if Yu-Suzuki's requests have something to do with holding the game back. Perhaps he's asking for too much?

Can't say I don't blame Suzuki. The thought of Shenmue in 1080p next gen graphics with Yu-Suzuki's uncompromised vision would be too much for a human being to take in.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Nahovil » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 am

Jokatech19 wrote:
Nahovil wrote: Out of touch probably means not being too keen on giving up certain aspects of the game or making it adequate for what the consumer reality is today. Most people seem to think this is a game which appeals to the masses, an impression given by the strong passion of those whom it indeed appealed to, long ago, and still nominate it as their favourite game.

This is an astute and correct assessment. I personally don't consider it to be a commercially viable foray by any means. That's actually the problem with idiots today. The world is flooded with them. If it relied solely on their opinions, there would never be a game like Shenmue, or anything remotely intellectually stimulating, ever again. I'm just hoping that if Suzuki is as gung ho as he professes to be, he is going to finish regardless. I'd like to say I find it hard to believe; but really I just hope that he isn't that freaking stupid that he hasn't considered the truth in what you just brought out.

Yeah. Question is, how much will he have to yield in order to make it happen. Beyond that, it depends on whether people would be satisfied with anything other than a big production. Being spoilt by the first two, I'm not sure I would.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 pm

I'm not on the "is not commercially viable" boat.

Shitty games like beyond2souls and heavy rain got >1 million copies sold only because it was exclusive. Just think in what kind of insta-marketing (head turning from most gaming media) can Shenmue gather, and mix it in with some exclusivity bullshit and you have a winner.

They should try to scope down things a little (that was still going to happen in SIII), and make wise design and economic choices (and a release/remake of the first two Shenmues).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:00 pm

The thing is though, both the games you mentioned there capitalised on something that was popular at the time. Heavy Rain really went with the gritty, hard boiled bollocks that everyone loved watching on TV, whereas Beyond2Souls approached it from the "super-powered misfit on the run" angle.

Having never played either game, I may be wrong in the way I described them, but that's the impression I got from the way they were marketed, and they interested me. Shenmue though? Don't fuckin think so. I was never really interested in it until I read a tiny little summary of it in a gaming mag saying something along the lines of "it's as close to real life as you'll get in a game". That's what sold me on Shenmue and it's what sold me on the original Deus Ex.

If I'd been told of either games' premise beforehand I probably wouldn't have been interested. Okay, maybe slightly interested in Deus Ex, but Shenmue? Guy's dad gets killed, so he sets out for revenge by talking to people, driving forklifts, beating up sailors, drinking coke, and collecting toys... It's a bit of a hard sell.

I had this problem the other day attempting to describe Shenmue to someone at work.
"So it's an anime game?"
"Not really, no."
"So it's a sandbox game?"
"Nah, it wouldn't be classed as a sandbox game."
"Oh, it's fighting game with hubworlds?"
"No, there isn't really that much fighting in it."
"Detective game like LA Noire?"
"Those bits are all contextual, really."
"Interactive movie?"
"Nah, not at all."
"God, you're shit at describing games."

Shenmue is not commercially viable in the typical sense. It's accrued plenty of fans over the years because it's a game you need to play to "get". Or at least watch someone play it. This is one of the problems I reckon the game industry has. Games are typically advertised via a montage of cut-scenes, whether interactive or not. There should always be gameplay in there. But... would that work for Shenmue? Unfortunately, I don't think so.

It definitely can be successful, but it will never hit the heights of your GTAs, your Metal Gear Solids, Assassin's Creeds, etc., and no matter what, it will probably always be the "cult classic" type in the sense that you'll find it difficult to come across someone who's played it. It's easy to find someone who's played a Sonic game, FIFA, Splinter Cell, Elder Scrolls, whathaveya. Shenmue just doesn't have enough "pop".

It had fucking brilliant graphics at the time, but it wasn't visually striking. There were hidden/secret cut-scenes, but never any random events that were unique to you. It didn't excel in any particular area when it comes to "gaming skillz", so has never been a "go-to-game" in the sense that Virtua Fighter or Tekken or whatever could be seen as proving grounds for in-game fighting ability. The soundtrack was beautiful, but had little to offer for the "easy listening" crowd. The detail and the world itself was immense, but it was all mechanical, all glued down, you were essentially a ghost until the A button appeared on screen or you triggered a cut scene.

Shenmue, quite simply, lacks a lot of the qualities necessary to be commercially successful on a large scale. And an investment as huge as Shenmue's needs to at least have the potential for that to be "commercially viable". Plus, if it's to rely on the whole "OMG Shenmue III's been announced!!" hype generated by the gaming media, then it needs to be announced not long before the release date so that it can ride that wave. Otherwise, people will look and say "Wow, fifteen years? That's a long time to wait for a sequel!" before completely forgetting about it a week or two later.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Well put
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates