Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

Postby shredingskin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:36 pm

I agree to some extent, but I also think is a matter of perspective and marketing (and you're shit at describing games :P).

Look at TWD, it's a 3D visual novel with some QTEs. Or Gone Home. The deal is marketing it right (and yes, changing some gamedesign stuff there, I was watching a live let's play by gametrailers, and it was almost cringeworthy the ammount of time you have to wait in the game, specially if you don't know how to get some of the dialogs). I've said before, market it as "revolutionized gaming" "one of the most awaited sagas of videogame history", throw in there some random bullshit quotes, some qte, fighting, arcade, cutscenes, cool dialogs and epic music and you have a pretty damn good trailer.

I never thought about being a hit seller, like those games you mentioned (except for MGS2, it didn't sell THAT good in the most popular console around at that time, similar to shenmue, without the decade of waiting).

But again, I disagree with the "no pop". Maybe life turned me into a fucking cynic (I know it's true), but seems like every shitty game with enough marketing can sell quite a bit. Shenmue has a good appeal to:
- Martial arts guys.
- Asian stuff fandom.
- The interactive movie people.
- Adventure gamers.

With some rewriting of the silly stuff they can make it work. It's not just "Guy's dad gets killed", but more like, "an epic journey of revenge, discovery and martial arts" "the inner struggles of a man trying to find his destiny", or whatever bullshit, throw in there Yuan as the biggest gay character in history to appeal SJW out there.

Shenmue had some pretty bland writing, and a lot of stuff was trying it to make it for kids/teens (even it had a kodomo mode), you can make some tweaks to make it more appealing.

We are not talking about a game that will turn upside down gaming industry, we are talking about making a game that will lead to some money to SEGA/whomever and finish the game we always wanted.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Honesty would solve so much in this world. People can't come out with the fidelity and identify with who they are. These days, the world is filled with simple-minded people who like simple-minded stuff, and hate artistic things being that they signify intellect. But no one has the guts to admit that. Rather, things that aren't indicative of the times we live in, and that don't cater to stupidity, are themselves called stupid. That childish, reverse psychology is old and on my last nerve. I know Shenmue's script writing isn't the best ever, and I've never called it a perfect game, but to call it's premise dumb, and to say that it's selling point is being an empty, yet graphical game, is stupidity defined. The premise is more purist material than stupid. It isn't commercially viable because it isn't demon play or gun-play. And no, Suzuki should NOT sully the series by incorporating those elements for the pleasure of the common idiot. If he is willing to make S3 for the few of us with brains left, all the power to him. If he wants to rake in money, forget it then. I'm sick of hearing "pop" referred to as great and progressive. Pop is whatever is degenerate and stupid.

Jokatech19 has received 3 thanks from: badamn, Giorgio, Soleil rouge
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Um, nobody called it's premise dumb or said it was an empty game. And to call people you don't know "simple-minded" who like "simple-minded stuff" is ignorance personified. Whatever makes you feel intellectually superior though, I suppose...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:21 pm

I do feel like generalizing the audience and calling them idiots is a bit much. I'll agree with the point you made where Suzuki should keep his artistic integrity and stick to his own vision and not appeal to whats "popular" but I wouldn't go out and insult the entire demographic for those who like the popular games. Not everyone who plays them are "idiots"

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby hwarangwarrior » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Hello, fellow Shenmue fans. I know it's been awhile since I've posted, but I just couldn't resist after the last few posts. I can clearly see where both MiTT3NZ and Yokosuka Martian are coming from....and I think you both have some very valid points. I'm 32 years old. I grew up with the Atari 2600 and the original Nintendo Entertainment System, if anyone is interested. I have been a video game fan my entire life. Shenmue has and always will hold a special place in my heart and I eagerly await a conclusion like everyone else on here. While the insults of the younger generation aren't necessary, I do see where MiTT3NZ is coming from. It's frustrating, I know! Today's video gamer has a totally different perspective on video games than my generation. And they likely cannot and will not appreciate certain aspects of older games that I appreciate and cherish. They're not idiots....they simply cannot appreciate video games the way I do and people of my generation because they didn't grow up with video games the way we did. It's sad, but understandable. Shenmue caters to a certain fan base and generation. Would I be okay with Suzuki catering to this younger generation and ruining the feel of the first two games? Hell no! But let's face it....he will likely have to take this into consideration if he ever wants Shenmue 3 to be at least somewhat of a reality and success. The guy is obviously struggling financially in regards to a future installment of Shenmue. So we need to consider the possibility that he may have to make some sacrifices to make Shenmue 3 an eventual reality....if it even ever gets released. Personally speaking, I would much rather Shenmue 3 be in video game form than some novel or crap like that! A lot has changed in the years since Shenmue 1 and 2 were released. I'm not saying I'm down with that idea, but at the same time, I would much rather have Shenmue 3 released as a video game in some form than nothing at all! And although Yu Suzuki may have some sort of limitation to get what he fully wants if Shenmue 3 was to ever become a reality, I'm sure he wouldn't stray too far from his original vision. For all we know, maybe Shenmue 3 has been delayed all of these years for that reason alone....because he wants to release it when the time is right when he can at least retain somewhat of the vision he originally planned for the game. Let's be realistic....the guy obviously is passionate about the series and wants to release an eventual conclusion! Could he be doing more to make it a reality? Maybe, but then again, we also don't know the full scoop on what's going on and all of the circumstances and politics that are hindering a release of Shenmue 3. Suzuki has been very quiet and secretive on this issue for quite some time. I know we've been waiting for what seems like an eternity for Shenmue 3. But I think we need to be patient, continue to do what we've been doing to let Sega and Suzuki know that we haven't forgotten about Shenmue, and continue to demand a conclusion (in video game format). I could be way off here, but I'm willing to bet that Suzuki will not retire until a conclusion of Shenmue becomes a reality. And although the recent media and other exposure of Shenmue may seem like a tease to most fans, at least it's getting exposure like never before in the past few years! Let's be patient, continue to demand Shenmue 3, and have faith that eventually it will become a reality! I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but we have to keep trying, be persistant, keep the faith, and be open to all possibilities!

hwarangwarrior has received 2 thanks from: Jokatech19, nskachu
hwarangwarrior
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:40 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Um, nobody called it's premise dumb or said it was an empty game. And to call people you don't know "simple-minded" who like "simple-minded stuff" is ignorance personified. Whatever makes you feel intellectually superior though, I suppose...

Friend, as far as I know we've had a decent relationship thus far. I never took swipes at anyone here on this site, as I consider you my constituents. Taking offense at that statement says more about yourself than me, which I'm sorry about. There is nothing presumptuous about saying the world is filled with simple-minded people. You don't have to know everyone to recognize commodities and trends. The article, as well as 1 or 2 comments, gave the insinuation that the premise was dumb, and it was held up only on flair. I never claimed to be quoting directly. You don't have to be assuming to be intellectually superior to refuse to sink to the simplistic standards you're surrounded by. We should all do that. It's called being aware. Nothing special. I'm somewhat disappointed and also sorry you are offended if that's the case.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:50 pm

No, it says nothing about me because there was no suggestion of offence. Using gaming habits/preferences as a benchmark for intelligence does make me worry for you though.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I do feel like generalizing the audience and calling them idiots is a bit much. I'll agree with the point you made where Suzuki should keep his artistic integrity and stick to his own vision and not appeal to whats "popular" but I wouldn't go out and insult the entire demographic for those who like the popular games. Not everyone who plays them are "idiots"

I'm sorry. Perhaps my post was a bit unclear. I'm not insinuating that all who play popular games are dumb. For I myself play popular games from time to time, as they are not all bad. I simply mean those who shun artistic things, intellectual things, and would shun Shenmue for the same reasons. I don't think any member of this site would really qualify, and a lot of us here partake of popular games.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:21 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: No, it says nothing about me because there was no suggestion of offence. Using gaming habits/preferences as a benchmark for intelligence does make me worry for you though.

I have a bad habit of going on tangents. I was incorporating the world view of art and society in general. I was probably wrong to include that in this discussion, but it made me think of how trends and artistic acceptance has changed so much in the recent generations.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Locke_cole » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 am

Wait a minute......did you quote yourself in your sig......then follow up with "Bunny power"???

Now it could be because its 2am and I find myself drunk and back on ye olde dojo but good god reading your posts are making me cringe. I am feeling physically awkward in my own body reading what you are saying. Just to be clear i'm not saying what you are saying is wrong (I am not saying its right either) but that cannot be how you really speak and carry yourself in real life is it? My god man.

Taking offense at that statement says more about yourself than me, which I'm sorry about. There is nothing presumptuous about saying the world is filled with simple-minded people. You don't have to know everyone to recognize commodities and trends.

I literally fucking lol'd...are you really Jeff?

I don't really know how to describe it....it's almost like your a real life bad caricature of the big bang theory, Like I feel like you would go into a Japanese Restaurant in the middle of Boston and order everything in japanese including your dr. pepperu and then smirk at the group sitting across from you (that's making fun of you) feeling accomplished.

Like you I have a bad habit of going on tangents and I am sorry......I didn't intend to make my first post in a long time trying to bash anyone but the shenmue bug bit me and i'm sitting here playing this goddamn big or small on nulldc and I cannot get a fucking chow to save my life.

P.S. Fuck Hellraiser

Locke_cole has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Jokatech19, Peter, tomboz
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:14 am

:rotflmao:

I miss you Locke :lol:

Peter has received a thanks from: Locke_cole
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:33 am

that post was wayyy too funny
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 am

Jokatech19 wrote:For I myself play popular games from time to time, as they are not all bad.

For not I, nay!

Never shan't I dabble into the trough whence slovenly masses getteth thy sustenance. Such pestilence; cut-purse to to thy mind; a parade in squalor.

If thou were a lush, woulds't staineth ivory hands in a box-tree for ruffians, brim with Duty of Callith? Poppycock for naughts.
One dost heaves thy supper at such thoughts.

Come come, wench! Fetch thy snuffbox, for such a lather has overcome thou with tizzy.

Wude-Tang Clan has received 2 thanks from: Jokatech19, mue 26
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:17 am

:lol: That was actually quite impressive.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby UnHoly Bible » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:09 pm

if anything the world is getting more artistic and smarter, it's just horrible trends are more frequent and spread faster now, which makes it seem worse.
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates