Shenmue – discovering the Sega classic 14 year too late

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Shenmue – discovering the Sega classic 14 year too late

Postby Ziming » Fri May 02, 2014 12:32 pm

The Guardian, a British national daily newspaper has written a article on Shenmue titled: "Shenmue – discovering the Sega classic 14 years too late". Click here to read it.

Supplementary Links: Yokosuka Photo Tour | Making of Shenmue | Shenmue Postmortem

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: DreamcastPast, Nahovil, Supa
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Shenmue – discovering the Sega classic 14 year too late

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri May 02, 2014 12:50 pm

It's so exciting when you hear about someone playing shenmue for the first time. I doubt he knows he void he's creating in his life. It's so bittersweet.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Bambi
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mocha Joe » Fri May 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Despite a couple of minor errors, that was a great read.

Also nice to see so many positive comments below the article.
Mocha Joe
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sat May 03, 2014 2:14 am

Ok...
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Giorgio » Sat May 03, 2014 8:17 am

There's also a discussion going on over at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812386

Brilliant Shenmue review. Only wish he wouldn't get stuck on the myth that Shenmue would still be as relatively expensive today, and, he would make a #SaveShenmue Tweetathon reference at the end of that article.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Supa » Sat May 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Good read, but how can he say Shenmue's graphics pale in comparison to PS2 game graphics?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby badamn » Tue May 06, 2014 8:32 pm

i think he was talking specifically about the character models of the main characters vs....ps2 main.but yeah overall dreamcast just had better graphics than the ps2(especially when hooked up to a via monitor he he)
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Sonikku » Wed May 14, 2014 3:40 pm

The visuals, while perhaps not quite cutting edge, were impressive for 1999. Yes, it’s full of graceless facial animations, despite benefitting from some primitive motion-capture work, and the overall aesthetic quality is nowhere close to the standard that the market-exploding PlayStation 2 would begin to introduce, just months after Shenmue’s arrival.

What the fuck? The PS2's graphics were AWFUL at launch. They didn't have anything that could possibly compare to the likes of Shenmue or Soul Calibur for at least two years in. Their launch titles looked far worse than Dreamcasts launch titles had that were a full year older. Some people just got drunk on the Sony koolaid those days.

Sonikku has received 3 thanks from: Bambi, nskachu, Supa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Supa » Wed May 14, 2014 4:30 pm

That's what I was thinking. I mean...a quick Google search found this: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/next-ge ... 4-and-more. Look at the PS2 and compare anything there to Shenmue I.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby nskachu » Thu May 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Sonikku wrote:

The visuals, while perhaps not quite cutting edge, were impressive for 1999. Yes, it’s full of graceless facial animations, despite benefitting from some primitive motion-capture work, and the overall aesthetic quality is nowhere close to the standard that the market-exploding PlayStation 2 would begin to introduce, just months after Shenmue’s arrival.

What the fuck? The PS2's graphics were AWFUL at launch. They didn't have anything that could possibly compare to the likes of Shenmue or Soul Calibur for at least two years in. Their launch titles looked far worse than Dreamcasts launch titles had that were a full year older. Some people just got drunk on the Sony koolaid those days.

Oh my... hahaha That koolaid sentence killed me.

That is the problem nowadays. My friends wont play Shenmue because they dislike the graphics. They do not understand the fact that Shenmue is a rather old piece of art which gets more precious as it gets older.

nskachu has received a thanks from: Giorgio
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby ys » Sat May 17, 2014 10:53 am

It's great to get the name of the series out there once again and see the impression from someone playing it for the first time now.
Regarding the graphics, it always bothered me when people compared the game with PS2 games released years later. Especially if it was a different type of game. I still remember that Yu Suzuki talked about things that the DC could do which the PS2 lacked. Things that made it easier to create the type of world in Shenmue.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Return to News and Updates