NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Postby ShenSun » Thu May 22, 2014 9:15 am

E3, or TGS. Id say E3 is the time to strike however, due to Shenmue being more popular in the West.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 am

There's no doubt E3 or TGS would be the best time to announce it. What is the process...work on a game for months, file a trademark, announce, release or trademark, work on game, announce, release?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Barry the Nomad » Thu May 22, 2014 9:29 am

I would be shocked if we got an E3 announcement or an announcement just before E3. SEGA hasn't done something like that for quite some time. Not saying it isn't possible though.

SEGAbits will be having two writers attending E3, so if Shenmue HD is on the floor we'll be sure to get impressions and I'm planning a podcast with our representatives for June 10th while they're at E3.
Barry the Nomad
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Peter » Thu May 22, 2014 9:52 am

Just seems like a never ending cycle to me. Expos, trademarks, websites, news articles, gaming lists...... I don't get excited about any of them. Not until something is confirmed.

Peter has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby spinksy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:57 am

KX-5 wrote: If it's ANOTHER damn mobile game I think I'll be pulling some of my hair out ](*,)

Seeing as the trademarks in the US expired (despite mainly being a Shenmue Online problem, not too sure what it was all about honestly) I think this is just Sega refiling and renewing the trademarks in Japan for similar issues. I hate to be a downer but we've been burned SOOOOO many times over the last ten years. With that bit of realism out of the way.....

LET'S HOPE IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING, THIS COULD BE IT \:D/ ! At least HD Ports or HD Remakes (both preferably)...possibly even 3 at long long last. All I can say guys is we've got to keep fighting and being as loud and active as we have been, especially with the twitter stuff and the monthly thunderclaps.

NEVER quit fighting, NEVER give up, and NEVER surrender. We've been getting a LOT of good news and hope, especially over this last year or so. One day it WILL happen, and it will be because of how we've come together as a community, each and EVERY one of us has to keep making sure our voices are heard. Sorry for the rant guys...call it inspiration :oops:

Keep those fires burning :mrgreen:

THIS!

We can only hope......

kinda hard not to get alittle excited over this although I remember all the fake stuff from last year and it makes reality hit ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby starscream178 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:27 am

This could be potentially awesome news. There has been a lot of positive media focused on Shenmue in the last year, this could be the biggest set of strange coincidences or this could be the beginning of something amazing. I'm excited, I think this year might just be our year.
starscream178

Postby Giorgio » Thu May 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Someone posted this on NeoGAF:
Abriael wrote:I hate to be "that guy" but the Shenmue trademark is just a renewal (by Japanese trademark law after 10 years you need to get a new serial number and the latest registration was in 2004). Basically, it means nothing.
Is that true?

If that is true, what a nasty coincidence! Shenmue.com is down, now the trademark renewal, and that seems they are related. And what kind of people are those in SEGA of Japan! They chose the best time to do this, right before the E3! Playing with fans' feelings, seems to be their toy...
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Jibby » Thu May 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Good news everyone!

But in all seriousness, whilst this looks promising, we shouldn't get too hyped just yet. I'd love for it to be Shenmue I and II HD and/or Shenmue 3, but we all know how this stuff usually ends. Let's hope I'm wrong though!

Jibby has received a thanks from: KX-5
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SnowyHarbor » Thu May 22, 2014 1:03 pm

The momentum we've got in media right now and all the coincidences happening at the same time is quite peculiar. There's much more going on now than there has been for many years so it's definitely cause for some hope.

Very well said KX-5 and everyone else.. let's not get too excited so we don't kill ourselves.. but keep up the pressure and never give up! :)

This E3 should be interesting indeeed. I'm glad I just finally got my VGA-Box so I can play some Shenmue 2 again leading up to it ^^

SnowyHarbor has received a thanks from: KX-5
SnowyHarbor

Steam: オロ_oro
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby Supa » Thu May 22, 2014 1:44 pm

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% chance of it being nothing.

But I'll admit, it is weird that the site is down at the same time. shenmue-online.com was also up since 2004 and never updated (last I checked was this year I think, or late 2013), now it is gone too.

Anyways, the most we'll get is HD ports, this can't be Shenmue III.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Thu May 22, 2014 2:40 pm

It's finally happening! They registered it because they're making the next game!!
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Thu May 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Screen capture of the trademark filing by Sega. From what we gather it's a completely new trademark and not a renewal of a existing one.

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenSun » Thu May 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Ziming wrote: Screen capture of the trademark filing by Sega. From what we gather it's a completely new trademark and not a renewal of a existing one.

How can you tell?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Thu May 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Ziming wrote: Screen capture of the trademark filing by Sega. From what we gather it's a completely new trademark and not a renewal of a existing one.

Hold it! A completely new trademark definitely MEANS something. However! What method has been applied to decipher that with the current information we have and thus end up in such a conclusion? What are the criteria?
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby ShenSun » Thu May 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Its also worth investigating whether that skies of arcadia trademark back in 2012 was a renewal or something new. It might give us a bit more context to the current situation.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates