NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri May 23, 2014 11:07 am

I'm a web designer and I think it would be beneficial to take the whole site down when you're talking about something like Shenmue. It's not like they're missing any traffic because it's down. That gives them a chance to post the entire thing when they're ready and not have pieces go up and run the risk of someone stumbling on the wrong page that may contain material you don't want the public to see.

For example, a lot of times when I'm testing a page I'll do something like foo.com/home-test to test the page I want to be the new home page. I don't really care if someone happens to stumble onto the home-test page because they're not going to see any sensitive information, just an incomplete page...which is what they get for poking and prying around my site. But for Shenmue if someone was poking and prying they may just find an image of Shenmue 3's production for a this-gen console.

So if Shenmue.com is going to be revamped for a future release I think it's in Sega's best interest to just take the old site down and when it's ready put the new one up.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: jackmonte1987
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SnowyHarbor » Fri May 23, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm a web developer as well and it can really go either way in terms of the site being down. I typically do what elfshadow mentioned (just working on pages that are at a url that nobody knows, but could still find if they tried hard enough), then again it's possible to work on areas of a site while restricting access to them on the server side.

Typically I try to keep the main or old site up because there are a lot of users viewing it while I work. Sometimes however it's unavoidable to have some down time like in the instance of changing domain names or some major functionality. With a domain name switch for instance the site will be down for a short time up to several hours while the new address propagates around the web.

I think ultimately with how long it has been down it must either be lingering server issues from the unauthorized access that BlueMue mentioned, or a deliberate taking-down to work on it... so we've got another nice 50% chance of good evidence! ;) I'll try to snoop around a bit but I doubt I'll find anything. Plus with the posts I've read on here it looks like we already have a full force of Shenmue Super Sleuths on the case ^^. It's actually kinda touching seeing everyone pooling their skills to figure it all out lol.

**Sega updated their status page today or yesterday with the latest list of sites to come back online. Here's the url if you'd like to look at it: http://sega.jp/topics/140523_0

It's very likely shenmue.com is just down from this issue. Here's the horrible translation of the latest text on that page:

"By the unauthorized access to our web server, which is confirmed in May 12, we have to stop the viewing of some official site today.

With regard to the official site that you stop reading, we have resumed in sequence from the site of restoration work has been completed from May 16.
For the official site was resumed, and we have been stopped some content and services for current situation, restoration of tentative.
※ sites that we have resumed at the 19:00 time May 23 will be the following.

also with regard to the site still has not been restored, the work upon completion, will resume in order.

To everyone, it has the inconvenience continue, I am really sorry.
We ask that until full recovery, you please wait for a while."
SnowyHarbor
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: オロ_oro
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby jackmonte1987 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Right, but all those sites that were affected are now back up. Shenmue for some reason is still not, we'll see though!
jackmonte1987

XBL: thecurse0101
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby spinksy » Fri May 23, 2014 2:15 pm

I agree that we should try not to get our hopes up to much but it is hard not to get excited over this.

I still think the most interesting thing is Yu admitting he was working on something currently!
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri May 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Another curious thing is that Google doesn't list shenmue.com in search results. I don't know a lot about Google's webmaster tools but I know you can get it to ignore your site if you want. Sega may have purposely told Google to ignore the domain temporarily. It could be that it isn't listed because Google's spiders didn't get anything when the crawled the site. Anyone know how that works? We're probably all over-thinking this but I think the trademark and the site going down together is the most interesting news in a long time.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby jackmonte1987 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:32 pm

I set up an alert to email me when the site comes back up so i'm anticipating it!
jackmonte1987

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 23, 2014 2:50 pm

I imagine us after the E3 saying how much carried away we got, disappointed et cetera. It is just a coincidence; the trademark and the site down. They are saying the trademark is part of the Japanese law, that every 10 years you should renew it. The site down of Shenmue, is part of many sites owned by SEGA.

And answer me this: Are they going to update the Shenmue Online site, too? Are they going to release Shenmue Online, too? Because http://www.shenmue-online.com/ is down, too. We should better calm down. ( ...Well, maybe, a part of me enjoying all this fuss, sparkling the Shenmue's fanbase spirit again :P but be sane/logical in the same time... )
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby jackmonte1987 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Giorgio wrote: I imagine us after the E3 saying how much carried away we got, disappointed et cetera. It is just a coincidence; the trademark and the site down. They are saying the trademark is part of the Japanese law, that every 10 years you should renew it. The site down of Shenmue, is part of many sites owned by SEGA.

And answer me this: Are they going to update the Shenmue Online site, too? Are they going to release Shenmue Online, too? Because http://www.shenmue-online.com/ is down, too. We should better calm down. ( ...Well, maybe, a part of me enjoying all this fuss, sparkling the Shenmue's fanbase spirit again :P but be sane/logical in the same time... )

Domain Name: SHENMUE-ONLINE.COM
Registry Domain ID:
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.1api.net
Registrar URL: http://www.1api.net
Updated Date: 2014-03-31T02:46:57Z
Creation Date: 2004-04-14T03:07:07Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-04-14T03:07:07Z

Registrant Name: digitalrex Co., Ltd.

Name Server: fixer.sega.co.jp
Name Server: ns2.sega.co.jp

The site has a different host for the domain name but uses the same name servers. All the other sites that were affected also used these same name servers. Either these 2 sites are down because their server specifically is down, or they are down on purpose
jackmonte1987

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 23, 2014 4:02 pm

SEGA‬ of Japan has managed to recover all the other 35 sites that were under attack. I believe SEGA decided to not support Shenmue's and Shenmue Online's site anymore, like, there is no point to keep them online, as those games are dead. Especially Shenmue Online. They would put Shenmue's site again if only something new about it happen, like something as Shenmue City.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby japalp » Fri May 23, 2014 4:17 pm

I certainly can understand not overreacting to this. It is very possible that it is just a coincidence.

However, there have been a lot of things recently that point to some sort of announcement soon (even if it is just the HD versions of I and II).

The timing of these "coincidences" is also suspicious as E3 is coming shortly. The Eurogamer article saying that there was information from his talk with Yu Suzuki he couldn't divulge, Corey Marshall doing some work at Sega in the past year or two, Yu Suzuki actively pursuing partners to get Shenmue III made, etc., etc. All of these things suggest that if they are going to announce something, it should be soon. They have heard our voices and if anything is in the works, why not strike when the iron is hot?
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby Gojiratron » Fri May 23, 2014 5:03 pm

My Japanese is limited but I did a bit of searching of Japanese trademarks and here's what I found. The first 2 pictures are current, valid Shenmue trademarks which were renewed in 2009 so are good until 2019 (each period of registration lasts 10 years).

Image Image

Then there's this one that expired last month. It was registered in 2004 so I'm guessing it was related to Shenmue Online. It wasn't refused, an application was never put in and from what I've read, applications for renewal need to be done in the 6 months prior to expiration.
ImageImage

Notice that it's "SHENMUE" in capital letters and in this picture you have the same:

This Dreamcast trademark was renewed in 2011, Burning Rangers in 2008 and Panzer Zwei in 2007 so it's not as if they're in the habit of just letting these things slip.
ImageImage Image

I hope it's something new, but they maybe just didn't mean to let that Shenmue one lapse. You wouldn't think such an oversight would be possible as a reminder would surely be issued 6 months before expiration, but this is Sega we're talking about. :D

Gojiratron has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, SnowyHarbor
Gojiratron
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby spinksy » Fri May 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Some good info their Gojiratron.

Every time if think 'no it can't be anything' I see a post like that then get excited again! Lol
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby shredingskin » Sat May 24, 2014 2:21 am

I'm so hyped that if I take the blue pill my penis will dettach and start asking about the three blades and that day.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Rakim » Sat May 24, 2014 2:33 am

shredingskin wrote: I'm so hyped that if I take the blue pill my penis will dettach and start asking about the three blades and that day.

what?

Rakim has received a thanks from: Axm
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Sat May 24, 2014 3:24 am

#なにこれ

Axm has received a thanks from: Rakim
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates