NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Postby tomboz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Peter wrote: Are people genuinely expecting something from anyone? Take a look at the games, their grandeur, their development studio, their costs. After presenting their games today, could you really see a Shenmue related game/announcement being made? Seriously?

It's been repeatedly said Suzuki barely has a team big enough to develop a mobile game, never mind a game that could stand side by side with any of the games on display today. You are on glue if you are watching any of the presentations with excitement of seeing a Shenmue trailer.

How so? Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony are always talking about innovative gaming. Microsoft's showing today was demonstrative of just how bland gaming has become and I refuse to believe that there are not more people like myself who are beginning to feel disenfranchised with the industry.

I'm yet to buy a 'next-gen' console and wont until I see a game that warrants me purchasing one. I don't think there's been a game released since Shenmue that can come close in terms of depth and ambition - so why wouldn't one of the big three look to bring Shenmue (or something like it) to their console as an exclusive? There's already a fanbase and I dare say a large amount of people waiting for Shenmue or a game like it. Exclusivity could shift a lot of consoles.

tomboz has received 4 thanks from: badamn, FlagshipFighter, Giorgio, SnowyHarbor
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:02 pm

tomboz wrote: ...there are not more people like myself who are beginning to feel disenfranchised with the industry.

I'm yet to buy a 'next-gen' console and wont until I see a game that warrants me purchasing one.

I'm in the same boat. I've definitely played a few really good games on the now last-gen but I agree the industry is going in directions I don't care about, so I find myself in the unheard minority, which is sad because video games have been such a big part of my life since I was about 5. I like a good FPS from time to time but I don't want every video game I play to be a FPS. And I don't typically like racing games or sports games, so those are of little-to-no interest to me. There are a few future games that look interesting but not enough to justify dropping $300-$400 to play. I guess I'll be playing Scumbag Steve and asking my friends if I can borrow their X1 or PS4.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: CodingGenesis
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Totti » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:17 pm

What's this new trademark all about those people make us like monkeys demanding shenmue 3 those people have no heart have no feeling have no ethics

Totti has received a thanks from: badamn
Totti
Banned
Banned

Postby tomboz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:35 pm

SnowyHarbor wrote: I doubt it's large enough to make Shenmue 3 a viable financial risk.

The reason that Shenmue failed to turn a profit for Sega had nothing to do with it's budget and everything to do with the limitations of the Dreamcast.

Shenmue sold over 1.2m copies on a console which sold little over 10m units. That equates to more than 10% of Dreamcast owners purchasing the game. Had the game been released on a more successful consoles it could have potentially broken records.

Let's say, for example, that Shenmue had been a launch title on the PS2 instead of a Dreamcast game. The PS2 sold over 155m units over it's lifespan and so taking our 12% sales per console figure we're looking at around 18.6m copies sold - which would have beaten GTA San Andreas' 17.33m sales and made it the best selling game on the PS2 (Considering GTA SA was the sixth game in a hugely successful franchise - that's pretty damn impressive for an new ip). Add in the fact that the better launch games tend to get a boost in sales due to the limited variety available at launch as well as the exponential growth in sales through word of mouth - and Shenmue could have easily sold 20m+ units on PS2.

Had it not been released on a dying/dead console (or not released at all in the case of the US) I've no doubt Shenmue 2 would have outsold the original due to several areas being drastically improved (the GTA series has shown a steady increase in sales per release as gameplay has improved) and so it's entirely possible that the games would have clocked in 45m+ sales which would have equated to about $1 development and marketing costs per copy sold and in turn - HUGE profits.

Of course this is all hypothetical and there are plenty of arguments to be made and flaws in my logic - but I'm positive that had it been available to a wider audience rather than just Dreamcast owners - Shenmue would have been a commercial success (at least 18m copies between the two games). Given the capability of modern consoles, the drive and passion of Yu Suziki and the innovative nature of the series - a reboot would be hugely successful (unless it's on the Wii U, of course).

tomboz has received 4 thanks from: CodingGenesis, elfshadowreaper, Giorgio, SnowyHarbor
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SnowyHarbor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Nice breakdown. Yeah it's unfortunate the circumstances that Shenmue found itself in. I too agree that it could still be a hit today and financially viable if it's release/development was executed in the right way.. we just need a leader that has the vision to understand that, and the courage to possibly stake his or her career on it.
SnowyHarbor
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: オロ_oro
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby Wolfgame » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:58 pm

I understand people posting reasons about why it won't be at E3. But spare the grandstanding, I think many of you are missing the point that we aren't sitting with our first 4 figure statue in realistic anticipation of seeing Shenmue 3 revealed at E3. It's just a harmless dream at this point, if it isn't a dream you can tolerate I don't know what you are doing here.
Wolfgame
Master of the Three Blades

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Yeah it's easy for the doubters because we've got no concrete evidence and it's somehow cool to be stoic and deny dreams. But the second an announcement is made all the skeptics will be shouting "Shaaaamuuuuu treeeeeee" like the rest of us. We just have to be there with a big piece of humble pie to shove down their throats like we've ate at every major video game convention for the past 10 years. Just let us be hopeful. We're adults, we can take the disappointment.

elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:41 pm

You've made my day! :D
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

PSN: CodingGenesis
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:42 pm

@Elfshadowreaper I'd like your comment a million times if I could...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm

CodingGenesis wrote: You've made my day! :D

I hope sony will make both our days later.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: CodingGenesis
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:06 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:

True words, my friend. Let us hope together (for friends you can hope with, are true friends indeed, ahem).
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

Postby SnowyHarbor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:12 pm

CodingGenesis wrote:
elfshadowreaper wrote:

True words, my friend. Let us hope together (for friends you can hope with, are true friends indeed, ahem).

*sniff* I'm not crying there are a ton of flowers outside my window obviously ;)

:iagree: It's nice to be in good company ^^
SnowyHarbor

Steam: オロ_oro
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:24 pm

It shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea
A new game which has yet to know its potential
This potential is a power that could either destroy it or realize its will
Its courage shall determine its fate
The path it must traverse, fraught with adversity, we await whilst playing
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light
And thus the saga... continues...

CodingGenesis has received a thanks from: SnowyHarbor
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

Postby darksniper » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Peter wrote: Are people genuinely expecting something from anyone? Take a look at the games, their grandeur, their development studio, their costs. After presenting their games today, could you really see a Shenmue related game/announcement being made? Seriously?

It's been repeatedly said Suzuki barely has a team big enough to develop a mobile game, never mind a game that could stand side by side with any of the games on display today. You are on glue if you are watching any of the presentations with excitement of seeing a Shenmue trailer.

I hear you. But dammit if Murdered: Soul Suspect can get an AAA budget, there's no reason why Shenmue could do the same. Especially when it would move more units.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SnowyHarbor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:39 pm

CodingGenesis wrote: It shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea
A new game which has yet to know its potential
This potential is a power that could either destroy it or realize its will
Its courage shall determine its fate
The path it must traverse, fraught with adversity, we await whilst playing
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light
And thus the saga... continues...

SnowyHarbor