Yu Suzuki at Gamelab 2014 (Information & Multimedia)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki at Gamelab 2014 (Information & Multimedia)

Postby Fenix » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

As far as I know, Joy City's web was completly released with item names, worldmap, locations, characters and even more.

Some of this things I'm saying still actually ONLINE... Yeah, ONLINE and active. You have to enter Shenmue Online's web using webarchive. I have the worldmap and a glove picture from the game's item in my computer.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm

I was disappointed when I heard about the production of shenmue online. I don't like mmorpgs and didn't think that was the way the series needed to go. I always saw that as an evolution of the way they were going to take the series and not just a side story game. With the success of ffxi and world of Warcraft i could see sega pushing them down that path. I love you guys but I don't want to play shenmue with you.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: mue 26
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:13 pm

God, Shenmue Online, that was a guaranteed failure from the very start, I'm actually glad that one got canceled. Shenmue is the very least suitable franchise for an mmorpg in my opinion.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:40 am

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I don't think kickstarter is the way for Shenmue III.

I don't know what scope is Yu thinking (or if he's ACTUALLY REALLY thinking), but a game with a similar scope of Shenmue (even downplaying it) would easily cost around 10 million, that's actually the double of the most succesfull kickstarter made for a videogame (with an average of 55 dollars per pledge). Even 5 million would be very difficult to reach.

Also to think that a flunked kickstarter would be bad for publicity for the IP (devaluating SEGA's "theoretical money" on the value of the franchise), and less likely to be published by some other company.

Not only that, but also Shenmue needs a rebuild, to catch more consumers. And to add things up, at the end of the day it's still SEGA's IP and choice if they make a kickstarter or not.

That's incredibly pessimistic, I know, but that's how I feel.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:02 am

Kickstarter of course isn't the way to make a game of this magnitude but it could be used for parts of it.

I imagine funds from kickstarter could be used to build the very fundament of the game. Yu Suzuki could use the money to finalize the script, redesign characters and enviroments up to current technology and actually build the base of the new game engine far enough for tech demos with more advanced weather, NPCs, combat, animations and whatnot.

With something like that at hand it would be much easier to finally get someone to fund the actual making and release of the game.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Giorgio
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:12 am

BlueMue wrote: Kickstarter of course isn't the way to make a game of this magnitude but it could be used for parts of it.

I imagine funds from kickstarter could be used to build the very fundament of the game. Yu Suzuki could use the money to finalize the script, redesign characters and enviroments up to current technology and actually build the base of the new game engine far enough for tech demos with more advanced weather, NPCs, combat, animations and whatnot.

With something like that at hand it would be much easier to finally get someone to fund the actual making and release of the game.

That, and it could also be used as tangible evidence of the demand that exists about Shenmue, so as to persuade a possible fund partner / publisher to fund the rest of the game (to put it in other words).
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:43 am

I think a Shenmue Kickstarter would explode with donations. And that's because I think Shenmue fans have what most don't: desperation.

I like the idea of Kickstarting pre-production work on future games, similar to what BlueMue said. Or if Sega continues to be obstinate Kickstart giving Yu the license.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:16 pm

It would really explode, it would be great to see just how desperate we could get. I'd be snatching purses and shit for Yu.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Supa
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:29 am

BlueMue wrote: I imagine funds from kickstarter could be used to build the very fundament of the game. Yu Suzuki could use the money to finalize the script, redesign characters and enviroments up to current technology and actually build the base of the new game engine far enough for tech demos with more advanced weather, NPCs, combat, animations and whatnot.

Do you think much people will back a pre-production for a game that they don't know if it's going to be released ? Or that a company like SEGA will allow it ?

That sounds like wishful thinking to me.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:39 am

Yes I think so. Might be wishful but not really that much at all.

With a good tech demo, wich I'm sure Yu is able to deliver and with the name Shenmue and all the media interest in it how could someone turn it down?
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:10 am

Yu Suzuki - interview at Gamelab 2014, by Game Reactor: http://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/?id=179284284

"¡Mucho gracias!"

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Giorgio on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Not in a negative way, but every time iI hear "circumstances" I just wish I knew exactly what they were. I mean the details, all of them. Not just money, or licence, but how much money. Who owns what rights. What technology is needed. Has there been serious interest from anyone across the board, from financing, developers, publicists etc.

I would love an answer to the last query the most. I mean what if a backer had been found, but Suzuki rejected a low offer of investment because he knew it would not have been enough? He is a very proud man after all. What if Shenmue and Shenmue II HD had been developed by a cheap independent studio but Sega denied its release? What if everyone loves Shenmue for what it is, and no one in the industry from top to bottom really don't want to ever see a future Shenmue? What if a deal has been close with various partners time after time again but fell through? Crowdfunding is a serious option in this day and age, but what if that's a last ditch resort for, like I already said, a very proud man.

With a progression of answer detail from Suzuki interviews, steps ahead from the good ol' "We'l see" days, the progression of frustration increases. If the wait is set to continue then please give us some more transparacy into what exactly going on. It a future Shenmue release a damn possibility or not.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby tomboz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm

I think people are being a little unrealistic about the likelihood of a crowd-funding campaign being successful. There's probably no more than 1000 people who care enough about future Shenmue releases to donate and I'd be surprised if the average donation would be higher than £20.
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Outlawstar98 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Crowd funding for HD remake release maybe?
Outlawstar98
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: outlawstar98
Steam: outlawstar98
Currently playing: EVERYTHING

Postby ChristopherZero » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:03 pm

tomboz wrote:I think people are being a little unrealistic about the likelihood of a crowd-funding campaign being successful. There's probably no more than 1000 people who care enough about future Shenmue releases to donate and I'd be surprised if the average donation would be higher than £20.

I kinda have to disagree, if something like The Ouya or the rift could use 2 to 8 million,and that had over 64,000 people I believe there is ton of people who would donate a lot to finish this game, and you still have those random funders I could see them easily making 10 million. I know that's no where need the money but it would help a lot, towards the little things
ChristopherZero
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates