Yu Suzuki Interview: Shenmue, From Prototypes to Today

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview: Shenmue, From Prototypes to Today

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:14 am

I cannot give details, all i can say is that Koutei doesn't look like Ziming.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Thief » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:55 am

Amazing interview, thank you aizen59. It eases my soul a little to read that, if Shenmue were to continue, it would ideally last another three games (maybe two). I couldn't imagine Yu cutting a ton of content just to finish the story. The slow pace is inviting and it's part of what I love about Shenmue.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:00 am

I am glad Shenmue fans liked the interview.

I would like to do another one during 2015 but not sure if Yu Suzuki will attend any events near France.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:26 pm

aizen59 wrote: I am glad Shenmue fans liked the interview.

I would like to do another one during 2015 but not sure if Yu Suzuki will attend any events near France.

if you do get another chance to interview Suzuki could you request the forum members to submit suggestions for questions. i'm sure we can come up with some really good ones and get the best interview so far.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Chaikilla » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:43 pm

I found it very interesting how Yu said Lan Di's father is dead "for now" implying that he could be resurrected later on down the line.

After this interview I strongly feel that Lan Di wants the mirrors not only to revive Chiyou but his father as well. I'd imagine that the big bad (possibly Tentei?) told Lan Di a bunch of bs about how the pair of mirrors have to power to bring the dead back to life and that Iwao killed his father, when in fact none of what he said is true. Plus, the Phoenix is a symbol of rebirth, not to mention all the references immortality/eternal youth (the white leaf and the elixr of eternal youth) and the fact that Shenhua is a reincarnation of some hoe from a thousand years ago.

I'm kind of rambling but yeah...This interview has certainly got me thinking. Kind of. e_e
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades

Postby R3N » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:08 pm

aizen59 wrote: I am glad Shenmue fans liked the interview.

If you get the opportunity to interview him again. Ask him about the cinema in shenmue I maybe it was once of the possible features that was not included.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby we420 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:48 am

So Shenmue III won't even be the last one... I hope to god SIII sells a crap ton or we won't see the end of Shenmue till 2050

Great interview btw, it's always great to hear some new details on Shenmue III and beyond
we420

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Postby jcjimher » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:58 pm

The interview was really interesting and informative. The tidbits about development and future plot elements were great...but at the same time I'm disappointed reading about Yu Suzuki's managerial plans to continue the series.

I would have preferred to learn about some new or better strategies than simply trying to gather a big amount of money, enough for developing at least two more Shenmue games with the same quality and production values as the first ones.

It's commendable on a personal level for Yu Suzuki to stick to its vision and be patient and all that, but if he doesn't make some sacrifices (make it episodic? Dreamcast-level graphics? 2D? not fully voice-acted?) I think there's a higher chance of him taking his full Shenmue story and his original plan to the grave (hopefully a lot of years from now :-)) than managing something he hasn't been able to achieve for the last 12 years.

Did you get a different impression aizen59? I hope I am deeply mistaken...

jcjimher has received a thanks from: japalp
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Well, Yu Suzuki's goal is clearly to wrap up everything with games. I am not sure about any other support but he doesn't seem to have any interest to release a comic book atm.

I would like to see a Shenmue, even it has to be made with Dreamcast graphics. I am not looking for something awesome after such a long wait. I would like to experience Shenmue story while playing games like the first ones.

No need to have every NPC voice-acted or anything like that. Can even use again previous assets or whatever can be used to make sure the game is not going to cost too much.

But Yu Suzuki has a vision for his own games and i am sure if we ever get our hands on Shenmue III, we are not going to be disappointed.

Now, if he has to compromise Shenmue story to obtain a deal, i hope he will because i'd rather have an ending (lacking details) than no ending at all, which is pretty much killing us all for more than a decade now.

But let's not give up. If Yu Suzuki hasn't shared all the details and Shenmue's ending through a book or even on internet, it just mean that he hasn't given up yet.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Shame he didnt mention how big of a budget he needed to raise. I'm curious about how much shenmue 3 would cost.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby japalp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:11 am

jcjimher wrote: The interview was really interesting and informative. The tidbits about development and future plot elements were great...but at the same time I'm disappointed reading about Yu Suzuki's managerial plans to continue the series.

I would have preferred to learn about some new or better strategies than simply trying to gather a big amount of money, enough for developing at least two more Shenmue games with the same quality and production values as the first ones.

It's commendable on a personal level for Yu Suzuki to stick to its vision and be patient and all that, but if he doesn't make some sacrifices (make it episodic? Dreamcast-level graphics? 2D? not fully voice-acted?) I think there's a higher chance of him taking his full Shenmue story and his original plan to the grave (hopefully a lot of years from now :-)) than managing something he hasn't been able to achieve for the last 12 years.

Did you get a different impression aizen59? I hope I am deeply mistaken...

I have been saying essentially the same thing. I completely agree with this post. It has been too long and it seems like Yu-san is being a little stubborn about how he wants to finish this. I would like to know why he thinks that now he can obtain the funding when he hasn't been able to for 12 years. He needs to be more flexible with his vision and come up with a way to sell it to investors in a way that is less risky.
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby jcjimher » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Yeah, I'm not giving up either. I'll be first in line and buy whatever system is needed if a new Shenmue game ever comes. But sometimes I'm afraid there's nothing more than the "typical" Japanese vagueness and pride (with all due respect for that wonderful culture) behind many of Yu Suzuki answers in interviews. As if he was never going to say a clear NO, whatever happens. But you've lived in Japan for a while and you conducted the interview, so I'll trust you if you didn't get that impression.

On a more positive note, if you get your chance to make another Shenmue-themed interview with Yu Suzuki, I would be really curious to know the answers to questions like these:

- (taken from South Carmain) Does he have a concrete number of the budget he would need? Would he share it with us? (joking :-))
- Were there assets other than script (like graphics, music, voices, animations) made for future Shenmue games? Would they be usable nowadays for a new Shenmue?
- Does he know anything about those reported HD remakes of Shenmue I & II? Is it true that they were completed but won't be released because of licensing issues?

Again many thanks for the interview, I'll be on the lookout for new ones!
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Trunks » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:14 am

Good interview, man.

Really worth a read ^^
Trunks
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to News and Updates